News Widdop to leave Dragons

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/g...d/news-story/e4059cf95addad3ee03e6e0cf64a5136

Gareth Widdop to leave St George Illawarra at NRL season’s end
St George skipper Gareth Widdop will quit the NRL to return to his native England and join Super League side Warrington Wolves.

St George Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop will quit the NRL at the end of the 2019 season to return to his native England and join Super League side Warrington Wolves.

The Dragons have decided to allow the 29-year-old to walk away from the final two years of his contract on compassionate grounds.

Under the terms of the release, the Halifax-raised five-eighth must play for the Dragons if he were to return to the NRL.

The England international arrived at St George Illawarra from Melbourne in 2014. He has played 115 NRL games for the club and is on track to become the Dragon’s record point scorer this year.
I’ve made a big decision in my career having decided to move back to England next year,” Widdop told the club’s website.

“It certainly hasn’t been the easiest decision but sometimes in life we have aspirations and playing in the Super League has been one of mine for a while now.

“I’ve been away from home for a long time now and, growing up in Halifax, I always had dreams of playing in Super League.” After he emigrated to Australia with his family at the age of 16, Widdop made his NRL debut for the Storm in 2010 and won the premiership in 2012. Something he is keen to do at the Dragons before his departure. “I’ve been here a long time now and to get to where we have with the roster we’ve got, to leave it all behindespecially being the captain will be difficult,” he said.

“I still have the 2019 season to come.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Worst kept secret out, made funnier by WWOS Mole claiming this signing about 3-6 months back and then getting drilled by Widdops father who claimed with absolute certainty that Widdop was staying at the Dragons.

Made me laugh a bit when announced.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair enough. I didn't realise he hadn't played club footy in England at all.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough. I didn't realise he hadn't played club footy in England at all.
Yeh he came down here when he was 18 or so and was part of the storms system.

Good on him.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
How to end your coaching career episode #101. Replace g widdop with c norman.
I wonder what they intend to do this year with Norman / Hunt / Widdop. I'm guessing maybe Norman at fullback?

Red V fans are in for a 2020 treat though, Hunt and Norman in the halves.

Drew Hutchinson was moved on from the club and Nicholls contract is up this year.

Tristan Sailor too.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotta have the retirement package, will have to get out and watch a Dragons game soon.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly though he was gone and already back in the mother country. I guess I'm so bored and totally over player contract-release articles these days that I don't even read them anymore.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what they intend to do this year with Norman / Hunt / Widdop. I'm guessing maybe Norman at fullback?

Red V fans are in for a 2020 treat though, Hunt and Norman in the halves.

Drew Hutchinson was moved on from the club and Nicholls contract is up this year.

Tristan Sailor too.
Widdop will play fullback. Sailor is still young and needs at least a year in NSW Cup

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the peroxide hair still a thing? Just like Joey back in the day, his game really went up a notch with that hairstyle decision. Anyhows, I look forward to the 2019 inevitable but funny chokes.