News Why young gun has Barrett’s backing

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon Averillo and Flanagan would come good in say 3 years time and be elite halves, similar to Luai and Cleary. They have the talent and with the right coaching can surely reach their potential. Only thing is Burton is coming next year so not sure where that leaves Burton... maybe FB.
#13?

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon Averillo and Flanagan would come good in say 3 years time and be elite halves, similar to Luai and Cleary. They have the talent and with the right coaching can surely reach their potential. Only thing is Burton is coming next year so not sure where that leaves Burton... maybe FB.
My prediction is if Avo kills it at 5/8 this year, he'll be our fullback next year - Allan to the centres. I can't see Burton not playing 5/8.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As exciting as Averillo is at times I'm still worried that he can go into his shell when he's heavily targeted in defense. hopefully he's gained a bit of strength over the off season and performs a bit better under pressure.

I definitely think we'll improve this season. But how much remains to be seen. I just hope that we don't start writing players off left right and center if the improvement isn't drastic and immediate.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My prediction is if Avo kills it at 5/8 this year, he'll be our fullback next year - Allan to the centres. I can't see Burton not playing 5/8.
Exactly. If he has a big year he should shift to the 1. Keep him in the spine. And slot Allan either at centre or wing (depending on who else we pick up). Burton will be a 5/8 for the next 6 years Atleast you’d think. Eventually he’d move to lock or back row.

I’m liking Barrett’s selections. No way pay or Hasler would make this call and back so many unproven youngsters. it won’t guarantee success but it’s better to test these players out, because only experience will help them grow.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is the Bankstown boy with rugby league’s X-factor.

Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett has revealed why he opted for young Jake Averillo at five-eighth for round one ahead of Lachlan Lewis and Brandon Wakeham.

Averillo, who played just two games at five-eighth last season, is ready to claim the number six jumper alongside recruit Kyle Flanagan for Friday night’s match against Newcastle at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Jake Averillo will start at five-eighth for the Bulldogs.

Jake Averillo will start at five-eighth for the Bulldogs.

Wakeham is still being considered for the five-eighth spot but Barrett spoke highly of Averillo and his “X-factor.”

Canterbury used five five eighths last season – Kieran Foran (14 games), Wakeham (two), Averillo (two), Lewis (one) with the departed Jack Cogger also playing one match.

Averillo, 20, who made his NRL debut last season, played 13 games in 2020, mostly at centre.

“Jake has to get through some more stuff but he looks good, he looks like he will be okay,” Barrett said.

“He played a bit of centre last year but is a natural footballer. He can play anywhere. He will be fine.

“He played some really good games at the back-end of last year for Canterbury, has had a really good off-season and deserves his spot.

“I think five-eighth is Jake’s natural position and he will give us something different. He’s got a bit of x-factor about him.

Brandon Wakeham is in the 21.

Brandon Wakeham is in the 21.

“Jake is a good addition to the team and he will get his chance.”

Wakeham has still claimed a spot in the 21-man squad announced on Tuesday afternoon.

“We still have to get through another big day (of training on Wednesday), that’s our main day,” Barrett said. “We will then a call.

“Brandon is there, he is still an option at six. He played six in the trial and had some good touches.”

Barrett wants his entire team to step up and for fans to refrain from throwing additional pressure on Flanagan.

“We’ve got to take some heat off Kyle,” Barrett said.

“I’m just looking for a real good team performance.

Trent Barrett is set to give Jake Averillo his big chance.

Trent Barrett is set to give Jake Averillo his big chance.

“It’s not one or two individuals. We are a young team and we all need to perform. That is from one to 17 and I’m confident they will.

“It’s not about one person in the team. That’s one thing with our mob. We all need to play our role and that’s what we will be doing.”

Bulldogs prop Dylan Napa is primed and pumped for another big season.

“I’m really happy with where I’m at,” Napa said.

“There has been a lot of change at Belmore and lot of turnover of staff. But they are exciting times and I’m happy to be part of it.”

Asked about Barrett, Napa said: “I can’t speak highly enough of him and the standards he wants to hold us to with what we’re trying to build here.

“I want to try and continue building on what I’ve done already and make some more memories. I approach each season the same way.”

Canterbury still hope Penrith’s Matt Burton may arrive at Belmore sometime this season but Barrett has now focused fully on the start of this season.

“We will head to Newcastle and see how we go,” Barrett said.
It's a good read...
But here's some pointers I would like to make
TBaz said
It's all about effort and team work, from 1 to 17 !
Averillo could be an X factor, I say yes but he needs to improve in defense, teammates should help.
Wakeham is a backup half / five eight and not Lewis, it's music to my ears.
Picked Deitz on the the bench showing vision and courage
But hang on hang on hang on...
Did they say Napa is primed and pumped for another big season ? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: Sorry can't stop laughing .
Did Napa say he wants to continue building on what he has done already (that is nothing), how could you build on NOTHING :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:
I hope he proves me wrong by running and tackling hard !!!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LOL we have Napa, Lewis, JMK, Hoppa, Stimson, Britt, Kotoa, Meaney, Smith, DWZ....you call that a "little" deadwood. There are probably more but these are the ones off the top of my head

I'm excited about this season but I have my eye on 22 as there are still WAY too many plodders in the side for us to be a genuine top 8 side even though I still hope we can make it.
You are right Family Guy we ave a lot of deadwood.
We have to start a huge bonfire at seasons end :grinning:

HARRIGAN

Waterboy
Reaction score
I wish but who the fuck is dumb enough to take them.

Two words. Super League.

Lewis could go to Super League and play in any bottom half team and make them better. Plus they love a good marketing campaign. "Wally Lewis' nephew" "Benji Marshall's brother" ect... Decent money for middle of the road guys who are in and out of first grade in the NRL.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tigers....possibly saints based on recent recruiting
Don't forget the warriors.. Nathan Brown did recruit Montoya after all......

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Where is the side

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury used five five eighths last season – Kieran Foran (14 games), Wakeham (two), Averillo (two), Lewis (one) with the departed Jack Cogger also playing one match.
Imagine Foran played the full season?
14 + 2 +2 +2 + 1
14 games played; and we still only won three all season.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's true. I should have said a genuine top 4 side who is competing for premierships every year. That's the expectation for next year anyway. This year is about having fun and hopefully at least beating the Eels and Dragons.
And Sea Eagles. Mind you, last year's plodders beat the Bunnies.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
He certainly was one of our worst signings ever.
He has talent; and could have made a difference, but he usually only played for 20 minutes then left us to re-arrange the side, and play with one less on the bench. That cost us games we might have otherwise won.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Sea Eagles. Mind you, last year's plodders beat the Bunnies.
Yeah I dont really hate Manly that much (maybe because my old man is a fan). I'd add the Panthers, Rorters and Souths to that list but I don't think that we'll beat them this year. I think we're on a huge losing streak to the Eels so that has to end