Why we lost

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Thought I'd brew overnight on this before I put anything up. Lets start with the game stats. All basically even except:
- run metres 1500 odd to 1000 odd (and storm had the leg up on this with at least 200m in gifts).
- line breaks 6 - 0 storm
- offloads 22-10 doggies
and we won the territory and field position (slightly).

And we got done by 44 points. Despite 41 shots in the storms 20m.

Sure we can point at this guy and that guy (not sure about u but noticed that every time Burton got the ball, 3 guys in front of him - almost like the storm decided he was the only guy that could beat us). So I'm going to try avoid the player call outs.

Issues:
1) Absolutely NFI what to do with an offload. Play to your strengths, halves/hookers should be sniffing with speed guys ready to go. Nope.
2) This (and its happened in all 4 games this year) continued habit of just letting opposing halves wander across the field looking for options. Swear I thought Hughes had spiders all over him yesterday
3) Defence. I'll bet the storm have a rule, if you are third man in, the guy is locked or u get the Bellamy special. We throw four guys in and the offensive player gets the offload or even better, the quick play the ball. Just not enough pride or discipline on this.
4) Fitness. This to me is the biggest concern. Did we all spend the offseason at Vaughan's with his snags? Appreciate point 5 is a bit of this but to me it was the off the ball movement that worried me. Too many times, people just standing around doing sfa.
5) Confidence. Our attack has none, so we over commit on defence.

Solutions (and very loose ones at that):
1) Barrett, whatever your game plan is, stick with your spine for the next 6 - 8 games. Tell them to stick to the plan or NSW cup u go. And if it doesn't work, off to another job u go TB.
2) TPJ or Kingy go to the line, u get someone sniffing and either JAC or Dufty needs to be present.
3) Seriously - if our attack is this crap, then defend. U have probably the biggest hoof in the NRL playing, 1st/2nd tackle, you hoof it and we play D.
4) Halves need to straighten (rinse wash repeat), when u don't have the cattle to go around, you go through.

TBH, when I look at the issues, think I'm kidding myself. But needed to vent somehow....

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have fast players, yet we lack speed in attack. How come nobody has worked out that TPJ and King can offload when tackled? This is where our halves or fullback should be following through to take the pass AT SPEED!!!
I'm sick of watching a flat footed bunch of forwards play pass the parcel and going nowhere.

Storm wrap an arm around the ball when defending, and are ready to steal it the minute someone yells "got it".

Bigkev05

Waterboy
Reaction score
Thought I'd brew overnight on this before I put anything up. Lets start with the game stats. All basically even except:
- run metres 1500 odd to 1000 odd (and storm had the leg up on this with at least 200m in gifts).
- line breaks 6 - 0 storm
- offloads 22-10 doggies
and we won the territory and field position (slightly).

And we got done by 44 points. Despite 41 shots in the storms 20m.

Sure we can point at this guy and that guy (not sure about u but noticed that every time Burton got the ball, 3 guys in front of him - almost like the storm decided he was the only guy that could beat us). So I'm going to try avoid the player call outs.

Issues:
1) Absolutely NFI what to do with an offload. Play to your strengths, halves/hookers should be sniffing with speed guys ready to go. Nope.
2) This (and its happened in all 4 games this year) continued habit of just letting opposing halves wander across the field looking for options. Swear I thought Hughes had spiders all over him yesterday
3) Defence. I'll bet the storm have a rule, if you are third man in, the guy is locked or u get the Bellamy special. We throw four guys in and the offensive player gets the offload or even better, the quick play the ball. Just not enough pride or discipline on this.
4) Fitness. This to me is the biggest concern. Did we all spend the offseason at Vaughan's with his snags? Appreciate point 5 is a bit of this but to me it was the off the ball movement that worried me. Too many times, people just standing around doing sfa.
5) Confidence. Our attack has none, so we over commit on defence.

Solutions (and very loose ones at that):
1) Barrett, whatever your game plan is, stick with your spine for the next 6 - 8 games. Tell them to stick to the plan or NSW cup u go. And if it doesn't work, off to another job u go TB.
2) TPJ or Kingy go to the line, u get someone sniffing and either JAC or Dufty needs to be present.
3) Seriously - if our attack is this crap, then defend. U have probably the biggest hoof in the NRL playing, 1st/2nd tackle, you hoof it and we play D.
4) Halves need to straighten (rinse wash repeat), when u don't have the cattle to go around, you go through.

TBH, when I look at the issues, think I'm kidding myself. But needed to vent somehow....
More debits than credits

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ah we suck. Not even an average footy team. In fact very far below average. No skill. No intelligence, got nothing. That’s why we lost!!