Why Turvey deserted the Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hristos

Waterboy
Reaction score
7th Tackle: Why Turvey deserted the Bulldogs

There was also plenty of pantomime high up in the grandstand, where Bulldogs powerbrokers watched aghast at what should have been the club’s most embarrassing defeat in years.

In fact, some simply refused to risk witnessing it. Around 10 minutes into the second half, when Newcastle grabbed the lead, arguably the greatest Bulldog of them all – Steve Mortimer – left the ground.

“I just couldn’t keep watching,” he told us. “It was upsetting me too much.”

Mortimer (R) with fellow Canterbury great Terry Lamb. Image: Getty
The scoreboard wasn’t the source of Mortimer’s pain. Instead, it was the team’s inability to post points. For one of the most gifted playmakers of his generation, it was too much to bear.

“We just didn’t create anything on their try line,” Mortimer said. “There was no set plays, no moves to create space on the outside.”
Mortimer left so early that he arrived home in time to watch the final five minutes from his lounge room.

“It was great they got the win, and great for Josh Reynolds to leave Belmore a winner,” Mortimer said. “I was very happy for him. But there are a lot of issues that the final scoreboard hid.”

Mortimer (R) in his heyday. Image: Getty
Mortimer stood down from the club’s board late last year after a public critique of coach Des Hasler.

Hasler cannot defend the team’s attack – the worst in the NRL. But he is satisfied with its defence, which ranks seventh. What’s more, the Bulldogs have conceded more tries from kicks than any other team, meaning their line is particularly difficult to breach.

Hasler believes just one more try per game would make all the difference. As demonstrated in the opening 20 minutes of Sunday’s game, the Bulldogs are creating enough chances. They just aren’t making the right choices to capitalise.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a load of shit!! + you should also know that Steve Mortimer was asked to stand down and at the time was the right thing to do.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What a load of shit!! + you should also know that Steve Mortimer was asked to stand down and at the time was the right thing to do.
Shafting a club legend for a blow in who is doing an atrocious job is never, under any set of circumstances, the right thing to do.

You're completely arse backwards in your opinions as per usual.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shafting a club legend for a blow in who is doing an atrocious job is never, under any set of circumstances, the right thing to do.

You're completely arse backwards in your opinions as per usual.
Thank you!!

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We were once a powerful club though we are far far behind from what we once were.

There is no chance on this planet that Des could drag his shit under the nose of the likes of the great Bullfrog and today's powerbrokers such as Politis and Ponisi.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I dont blame him.
I wasn't there, and i couldn't watch it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.