News Why Trent Barrett is ready to be Canterbury Bulldog’s next coach

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
So where does this leave Georgallis? Will he be assistant coach? I hope they keep him on as he’s won the Canterbury Cup for us in 2018 and even though we lost on Saturday to the Saints I thought we showed a lot of improvement from previous weeks. Only stupid individual errors cost us. He has the experience and knowledge of a lot of players coming through so I hope they at least keep him on as assistant coach. Then again loyalty doesn’t count for much these days.
Most clubs have 2 assistant coaches. And with Barrett I think that would be a good thing, if as reported he will bring over John Cartwright as well. I'm sure Barrett will have a lot of input into what Georgallis is doing currently once he signs. So that will be a good sign if he can implement stuff Barrett wants happening now for the rest of the season.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen mate there 3 type of coaches

1. Coaches who lead the way
2. Coaches who are keeping up
3. Coaches who are left behind

who only reason Anderson and folkes had success was because of the cattle we had .

Disaster took us to 2 grand finals when we really shouldn’t have been there.

Ted Glossop took us to grand finals and won.

warren Ryan took us to grand finals and won.

Phil Gould took us to grand finals and won.
2012 we were the best team in the comp mainly because of Barba and should have won. After that year Desball took over.
Anderson was a decent coach, he's one of the few coaches in history who has won GF at two clubs. Off the top of my head only 4 other coaches have done that in the last 50 years. His team in 95 on paper was inferior to Canberra and Brisbane which were virtual Origin sides.
Folkes had no idea as a coach but at least he got our team very fit including our substandard 98 team (on paper) which made the GF. However we should have won a stack of premierships between 2003 and 2007 if we had a good coach.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

who only reason Anderson and folkes had success was because of the cattle we had .

Yes all true but you have left out some other facts from your response.

There was NO salary cap when Ted Glossop and Warren Ryan coached us and it wasn’t anywhere near the business it is today. Ted Glossop was a school teacher who had a young side that was given free reign to play their natural game lead by George Peponis with the Mortimer & Hughes brothers running rings around opposing teams. Warren Ryan was also a super coach around that time having coached Newtown to the ‘81 Grand Final and he based his success around defence with the best forward pack going around at that time in Tunks & Kelly. Gould had also coached us pre salary cap era and had previously played for the Bulldogs in the early to mid 80’s successfully.

Dean Pay was pushed into resigning as he had NO room in the salary cap to move due to the previous board and coaching staff putting us in the position we are in. It isn’t until now that we have a war chest to actually buy some decent players plus we’ve been ravaged with injuries and suspension. At least he got us off the bottom of the table the last 2 years when we played some decent football against teams with far more playing depth than us. Now if Dean wasn’t happy about the offer put forward to him then it was his choice to leave, which he did. From what I’ve heard the players never wanted him to leave but the game is now based on performance and wins.

Whoever walks in now is going to have the luxury Of being able to buy decent players and get us back playing finals footy hopefully sooner rather than later. Dean Pay was never in a position to achieve that.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So based on your 1. 2. 3. Points where then would you place Barrett?

I truly hope for our sake he does some good for the club as he at least has money to spend in rebuilding us but on what he has shown to date I’m way more hopeful than confident.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If Barrett doesn't make the move this year then his heart's plainly not in it. He should be chomping at the bit to get here and start his new job. If he doesn't it's because he knows we don't have the players to win many games this year and he's too scared to risk lowering his stellar for and against record ............. if only he had one.

Go Dogs

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If Barrett doesn't make the move this year then his heart's plainly not in it. He should be chomping at the bit to get here and start his new job. If he doesn't it's because he knows we don't have the players to win many games this year and he's too scared to risk lowering his stellar for and against record ............. if only he had one.

Go Dogs
That’s one way of looking at it mate... the other is he still in contract with Penrith for another 18 months. If they let him out early for next year which it looks as though they will then the least he can do is not jump
ship midway through the year.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But Hooper says Barrett’s first challenge will be retaining a disgruntled star.
“His first assignment will be trying to convince Corey Harawira-Naera, the Kiwi back-rower not to go down to the National capital. He wants out, he wants to be a Canberra Raider, Baz is going try and keep him in the kennel.”
Harawira-Neara is reportedly filthy at the club for how it handled his pre-season sex scandal and is desperately seeking a release from the remaining two years of his contract to join the Raiders.
Wish this bloke would shut up and stop trying to convince us he knows everything that is happening at the club. Love how they use vague words in their articles to cover their asses.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Thats a ridiculous statement imo. If hes as important to their attack as the media is making him out to be then no way Panthers let him leave. If hes not as important as they make him out to be then theres no way we should hire him.

PS. If he stays and they make it deep into the finals, it will only give him further invaluable experience and round him out as a coach.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
The way Penrith are going at the moment they'll go deep in this year's finals. The advantage of Barrett finishing this year at Penrith is the finals experience and tactics he'll pick up as well as any mistakes the coaching team makes which can only benefit us next year. For a coach the intensity of playoffs can not be replicated without experience. If he comes over now the environment he'll work in will not resemble the one next year as he hasn't got the assistant coaches of his choice or the extra players. Best thing he can is do the retention and recruitment through our board so its full steam ahead with training come November. He should insist that our players have a shortened off season since there is a tonne of work to be done regarding their fitness, skills etc.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s one way of looking at it mate... the other is he still in contract with Penrith for another 18 months. If they let him out early for next year which it looks as though they will then the least he can do is not jump ship midway through the year.
Like most NRL assistant coaches he will almost certainly have the get out of gaol clause if an NRL head coaching job comes up. It's win win (for Penrith) scenario, they get to have their new assistant coach come on board immediately and more importantly they aren't looking over their shoulder wondering what Barrett is doing when he is talking to their players one on one, is he coaching or poaching? If Barrett hasn't instilled most of his coaching into the team already after a year in the position, then he's not much of a coach.

Go Dogs

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
His team in 95 on paper was inferior to Canberra and Brisbane which were virtual Origin sides.
We were minor premiers in 1993 and 1994 and won it in 1995....

Inferior? On par I'd say.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats a ridiculous statement imo. If hes as important to their attack as the media is making him out to be then no way Panthers let him leave. If hes not as important as they make him out to be then theres no way we should hire him.
PS. If he stays and they make it deep into the finals, it will only give him further invaluable experience and round him out as a coach.
The way Penrith are going at the moment they'll go deep in this year's finals. The advantage of Barrett finishing this year at Penrith is the finals experience and tactics he'll pick up as well as any mistakes the coaching team makes which can only benefit us next year. For a coach the intensity of playoffs can not be replicated without experience. If he comes over now the environment he'll work in will not resemble the one next year as he hasn't got the assistant coaches of his choice or the extra players. Best thing he can is do the retention and recruitment through our board so its full steam ahead with training come November. He should insist that our players have a shortened off season since there is a tonne of work to be done regarding their fitness, skills etc.
Mostly true, but well and truly offset by the players that we don't sign up for next year because he's not able to be there for the pitch to them and their managers. If he is here he can recruit whoever he wants as an assistant coach immediately, Antonelli left last week so we already have an assistant coaching position available right now. He's is also able to first hand rate the players that he wants to keep for next year, that aren't resigned, and let go or release the ones he doesn't want. There is no substitute for time and giving up 6 months is not recoverable. As for a shortened off season, it's not much use starting before 1st December because of the unavailability of any players that we have signed for next year plus those on international or SOO duties. Hopefully we will have a few new players signed for next year plus of those at least a couple on international or SOO duties. Seriously are we going to insist on players in pre season training before Xmas, I don't think so.

Go Dogs

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mostly true, but well and truly offset by the players that we don't sign up for next year because he's not able to be there for the pitch to them and their managers. If he is here he can recruit whoever he wants as an assistant coach immediately, Antonelli left last week so we already have an assistant coaching position available right now. He's is also able to first hand rate the players that he wants to keep for next year, that aren't resigned, and let go or release the ones he doesn't want. There is no substitute for time and giving up 6 months is not recoverable. As for a shortened off season, it's not much use starting before 1st December because of the unavailability of any players that we have signed for next year plus those on international or SOO duties. Hopefully we will have a few new players signed for next year plus of those at least a couple on international or SOO duties. Seriously are we going to insist on players in pre season training before Xmas, I don't think so.

Go Dogs
We don't actually know how he will be involved in recruitment and he will actually be here from November, so only 3 months away. We also don't know whos hes lined up for an assistant role, whether they are even available to start now. I think it better for him to stay at Penrith for the remainder of the season.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
re: assistant coach
according to reports he wants Cartwright who's at Manly. Manly won't let him leave early just to become assistant coach here and disrupt their season when they are a chance to go into the finals. Our current assistant coaches are crap which is evident on the poor skills, fitness and tactics of our team. If I was Barrett I'll get rid of all of them and bring in ones I can know and trust to do a good job.
re: pre season training
our players are in no position to whinge about a shortened off season. Most of them are crap and need a kick up the rear end. Insisting on a shortened off season will identify the ones who have the wrong attitude and therefore the ones to boot off. NRL is a moving target. The opposition are not static and improve each week. Our players are unfit. They need more time to train in the pre season to have a chance to come up to parity with the top teams. If we train for the same number of weeks as the other teams in the pre season we'll always be behind.
re: unavailability of any players that we have signed for next year plus those on international or SOO duties.
It's largely irrelevant since none of our players are good enough for test or SOO so you're only talking about the new recruits. If the new recruits are good enough to play the rep football then they don't need the extra pre season training I'm referring to but clearly our current players aren't fit enough.
re: He's is also able to first hand rate the players that he wants to keep for next year, that aren't resigned, and let go or release the ones he doesn't want
If he's as savvy as I think he is he'll know already which players he definitely wants to retain/let go and there would be a shortlist of those in the borderline category. They'll be the ones he'll keep a close eye on and be identifiable in the early pre season training as I doubt any club would want them. I would keep the borderline category unsigned and use the pre season training as their trial probation period.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Like most NRL assistant coaches he will almost certainly have the get out of gaol clause if an NRL head coaching job comes up. It's win win (for Penrith) scenario, they get to have their new assistant coach come on board immediately and more importantly they aren't looking over their shoulder wondering what Barrett is doing when he is talking to their players one on one, is he coaching or poaching? If Barrett hasn't instilled most of his coaching into the team already after a year in the position, then he's not much of a coach.

Go Dogs
I wouldn’t refer to it as get out of jail mate they are top 4 at the moment. Yeah no doubt agree the clause is there for him to take up the opportunity but it would be on Penriths terms as it’s not a transit lounge they would want him to serve his time. Don’t get what you mean on the last comment... I think that’s like saying Robbo can stop coaching now roosters should be able to win the comp from here? His experience is invaluable for the young halves who haven’t played in many big games etc.

Also with the point that Penrith would be looking over their shoulder when he is having one on ones with players... well mate that suits us... who cares if they trust him they trust him says a lot about his character really.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were minor premiers in 1993 and 1994 and won it in 1995....

Inferior? On par I'd say.
Yes we were minor premiers in 93 and 94 but got smashed in the finals as the players couldn't handle the pressure. We only had 1 superstar in Lamb and the rest were good players but not up to the class of Brisbane (Langer, Walters bros, Renouf, Carne, Lazzo etc) and Canberra (Stuart, Daley, Meninga, Walters, Clyde, Mullins etc). Their spine was far superior to ours and all their key players would rate in the top 50 of that decade where as only Lamb would be rated that high. It's a credit to Anderson's coaching that we were able to get the minor premiership against that opposition.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on ya mate, unfortunately some have very short memories, or are either to young or to simple to remember, Gould is Rotters through and through and then some, because that's where the money is, which would help if you get in trouble gambling.
Many remarks he has made since the SL war tells me that he has not eased up on his hatred for our club, sure he may have convinced DWZ to sign for us but he probably did it it more to help Penrith than to help us, he would never want us to beat the Rotters, or probably anyone else..
Many say old habits die hard, any person who harbours deep hate has to hang on to it because without it he has nothing left. another coach that was associated with him said that he was a man of agendas. Giving Gould a job at our club is like putting a fox in the chicken coup.
>Rotters
You mean the Eastern Bulldogs?

Reaction score
Yes we were minor premiers in 93 and 94 but got smashed in the finals as the players couldn't handle the pressure. We only had 1 superstar in Lamb and the rest were good players but not up to the class of Brisbane (Langer, Walters bros, Renouf, Carne, Lazzo etc) and Canberra (Stuart, Daley, Meninga, Walters, Clyde, Mullins etc). Their spine was far superior to ours and all their key players would rate in the top 50 of that decade where as only Lamb would be rated that high. It's a credit to Anderson's coaching that we were able to get the minor premiership against that opposition.
raiders vs broncos back then was almost the state of origin sides haha

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes agree, we had no hope against Canberra in '94 as it was Mal's last game as well and as you rightly pointed out their team was a virtual rep squad compared to our team. Halligan had joined us in '94 and was a major part for us making that Grand Final and winning it the following the year. Whenever we scored a try it was virtually 6 points as he very rarely missed a conversion. I've seen a lot of great goal kickers but non better than DH.

As for Anderson he was a great winger and coach for us having won Grand Finals in both roles. A shame his exit from the club ended the way it did. Similar to the way in which Paul Green has left the cowboys today. They both won comps for their respective clubs and then fell out of favour having reached the pinnacle and then lose their appeal once they had lost that winning feeling. I forget which one of the Hughes boys (one of the sons who he coached) said to Anderson's face at the leagues club after they had just come off another defeat and he was well and truly out favour with the club and it seemed like the players when he said, "why don't you just Fuck off out of the club, no one wants you here". Not a great way to speak to a club legend but he did just that and went on to win another premiership with the Melbourne Storm in 1999.