News Why Trent Barrett is ready to be Canterbury Bulldog’s next coach

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moments away from being named Canterbury’s next head coach, Trent Barrett’s elevation into the box seat for the role has been met with confusion and uncertainty from fans and commentators.

“Sometimes in life Trent, you’ve got to eat a shit sandwich.’’

Wayne Beavis, one of rugby league’s original kingmakers, has a drawer full of advice.

None of them sway too far from the bleeding obvious.

Which is why, after resigning as head coach of Manly in 2018, Trent Barrett phoned his long-time mentor.

Beavis, who retired that same year as an accredited agent after 36 years, told the out-of-work coach the same thing he’d told many of his former clients including Brad Fittler, Trent Robinson, James Maloney, Shane Flanagan, Anthony Griffin and Jarryd Hayne.

So what did Barrett do? He bit down hard..

With a notepad and pen, Barrett took himself last July all the way inside the inner-sanctum of the All Blacks.

Knowing that if he ever did return to the NRL coaching hot seat, he needed to be a smarter coach than the one he was at Manly, Barrett wanted to learn, apply self-growth, but also feel reaffirmed his own coaching systems and weekly planning wasn’t outrageously far away from the greatest sporting team on earth.

In camp every day ahead of the All Blacks’ 16-16 draw with South Africa in Wellington last year, Barrett stood at the hip of former New Zealand coach Steve Hansen, watching, sitting in on coaches’ meetings, writing notes and visualising how he would adopt the world-class standards of the rugby union team at his next NRL post, should it ever arrive.

He even took notes on the meticulous work ethic, pride and passion of the All Blacks bus driver.

Barrett’s chew of the sandwich his straight-shooting mentor suggested has included opening his mind to other sports and business models that boast consistent success.

So the 41-year-old has been reading books every night.

Barrett’s current read, according to his mates at Penrith, is called Flawless Execution, a 215-pager about how the techniques and systems of American fighter pilots can help improve critical decision-making.

And then there’s the commitment to his players at Penrith where he’s an assistant coach, which also suggests more about Barrett’s desire and motivation to return to the coaching furnace.

Every week this season, Barrett spends three hours a day in his car, leaving home at 4.45am to drive from the south coast to Penrith before walking back in the door to see his four young children for the first time at 6.30pm.

Piece by piece, he is absorbing and appreciating that when he does return, he will do so with a far greater understanding of what did and didn’t work at Manly.

Moments away from being named Canterbury’s next head coach and their 35th in 85 years, Barrett’s elevation into the box seat for the role has been met with confusion and uncertainty from fans and commentators.

They point to his inconsistent results as Sea Eagles head coach: 13th in 2016, sixth in 2017 and 15th in 2018.

They also point to the turbulence and emotionally driven decisions that led to Barrett’s departure.

They include his vow to never pick Jackson Hastings in first grade after the rookie half’s altercation with star halfback Daly Cherry-Evans; Blake Green’s early release to the Warriors with no back-up half at the club, and claims that he was too “matey” with the players.

They’re all headlines that upon reflection, as Barrett told the Bulldogs hierarchy in a Zoom call last Monday, he could’ve avoided and handled better. But more importantly, he knows exactly how to avoid them happening again.

The mob also query, without even mentioning the bottom-four roster, why amid three separate factions and dysfunction at Canterbury board level, why Barrett would risk his second and almost certainly final chance at NRL coaching on the unsettled Bulldogs.

It’s a risk not even Melbourne Storm supercoach Craig Bellamy would entertain.

But what Barrett has learned — both from his time away and his experience at Manly — is that all he can and must focus on is coaching.

The Canterbury board, the factions, the tangled salary cap or even supplying his own plastic furniture if he has to, like he famously did at the Sea Eagles, are all elements out of his control.

The daily preparation of his players, instilling club standards and a game plan his charges trust and can execute, is what he can deliver. That’s what he’s paid to do.

These are some of the notes that are written down in his notebook, as well as words of advice from Hansen that arrive via text message most days.

Having become one of rugby league’s first player agents in 1984, Beavis, 78, proudly calls himself one of the game’s “great survivors”.

At which point during this phone call, his loyal wife Gail sings out from the background, “and so am I’’.

Beavis signed Barrett from Temora at the age of 15 and the pair have been solid ever since.

“We’ve never had one stink,’’ Beavis said.

Which prompts an immediate question: “If you have never had an argument together, why would you encourage Trent to take the Bulldogs job, given the turmoil at the club and in the full knowledge that if it doesn’t work, this could be his last chance as an NRL coach?”

“If the Bulldogs select him, Trent will handle this job with consummate ease,’’ Beavis said.

“He will return with no one to blame from the past, no finger pointing, no bagging anyone, but with a greater set of tools for the experience he’s had.

“It was a good life lesson for him at Manly and he’ll be much stronger, wiser and more informed than he ever was.

“The time away from the game has given him an opportunity to look deeper into the game and reflect and understand what it’s all about.’’

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/14968334aa152d140aa1bde79420ccd0

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like that it mentioned decision-making, helping players to make better decisions is pretty much the ultimate goal of coaching and not just spoon feeding them instructions you expect them to execute like robots.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Day by day this seems more likely to happen.

All we can hope for is that he truly has learnt from the past.

I wouldn't be signing him for any longer than 2 years though.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Let's just sign him already and prepare for next year!

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

I reckon the third year would be in the clubs favour. There is a lot of pressure on him to make the finals as soon as next year. I’d assume his contract would reflect that.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

It’s a decision that could make pr break our decade. We can either surround him with a decent team and ultimate staff and provide every amenity he needs and we become a top 6 team. Or we still finish 12-16 and do nothing for 3 seasons. And it’s 2024 and we need to start yet another rebuild and coach search.

Hoping if he does come he helps us. Would just love to know why he has been pigeonholed from the onset. Is it so he is the face and Chris Anderson runs the show. Or do they actually see something in a 40% coach that can get us not only to top 8. But eventually premierships.

If that isn’t in our 5 year plan then we are doing things wrong.

No more excuses Lynne. No more we were ambitious to say 3 years. We actually should have said 5-6.

It’s the boards time to shine. Cotric and Thompson are very good additions. 3 more players needed and a elite coach to get some attacking structure into our team. 1 out and props on the 3rd, 4th 5th does work in today’s game. And I don’t think it ever has maybe since the 70s.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I like the fact it has been mentioned on several occasions how much of a good footy brain he has.

I just never saw that with Pay, more a good man manager maybe, but not footy nous/tactics/strategy.

Last edited:

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
The club seems completely focused on Barrett and i can understand why. I think he is an impressive candidate.
The more i read about it the more im coming around on the idea, seems like instead of being a big sook about how he left manly he has applied himself to become a better coach and dedicate himself to the craft

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good article. Looks like he has learned his lessons and is trying to improve himself as a coach (similar to Trent Robinson) so I think this could work

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did this Zoom meeting happen? Can someone point me to an article or media release where the Club or Barrett is actually quoted?
So many media threads on TK at the moment and its tiresome trying to find 'facts' about anything.
Same with CHN. Any articles where he or the club are actually quoted in regards to his current status with our club.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did this Zoom meeting happen? Can someone point me to an article or media release where the Club or Barrett is actually quoted?
So many media threads on TK at the moment and its tiresome trying to find 'facts' about anything.
Same with CHN. Any articles where he or the club are actually quoted in regards to his current status with our club.
Regarding CHN, his manager came out and said the "fallout is astronomical"

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Barrett has always been a great coach of X's and O's. He knows infinitely more tactically than someone like Pay ever will. It's how Barrett handles all of the other aspects of coaching that he needs to work on and which will determine his fate. Hopefully the few years as an assistant and being with the All-Blacks has helped him in that regard.

I'm happy to back the club on Barrett as we'll finally become an attacking team and he will be able to identify and develop players. He'll do wonders for someone like Averillo's game.

If he can bring Burton and another Penrith youngster or two and attract other talent then all the better. One thing is for sure the club need to spend big on assistants to help him, especially a defensive coach as that isn't Barrett's stength.

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He seems very impressive and has massive wraps from gus and ivan i think hes just what we need and all this spin about factions etc hello idiots when a team isn’t winning this is what happens,Penrith had the same media bs last year look at them now,I actually think with trents player pulling power we can turn this around quicker than people think

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I like it, will be a fresh start for both club/coach/players , and Trent can take advantage of this opportunity and make it successful, be nice to just have it officially announced and things can settle a little more, and other players that may be interested, we will have a better shot At..!!!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I like how he didn't just mope around after leaving Manly. I love how he went to the all blacks specifically to learn from the best, I didn't know that stuff. I just hope if we are going with him then we go all in and not do it half arsed. If we are professional then I can see it working and if we have the same clowns more concerned about power then it will all continue to fail.