Why the Canterbury Bulldogs are giving NRL memberships to refugee families

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikgan123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
An initiative by the Canterbury Bulldogs NRL club to promote social inclusion through the distribution of memberships for refugee families and others from disadvantaged backgrounds is set to be the subject of a groundbreaking study by Western Sydney University.
Omar and Hanadi Sabouni and their children Reanna, 4, and Mohamed, 2, are among the first recipients of 500 family memberships for the 2016 NRL season, which are being provided by the club's membership sponsor Brydens Lawyers, after research by the Bulldogs identified social inclusion as one of the most critical issues in the area.
With the 10th anniversary of the Cronulla riots, it is very timely and this is an example of how the society is going to be multi-cultural and it is going to welcome people
Western Sydney University lecturer Keith Parry
With a high percentage of fans from Arabic, or other non-English speaking backgrounds, Canterbury officials were told that many felt isolated but being a member of the club gave them a sense of belonging. The club believes that attending matches will help refugee families to fit more comfortably into the community.
Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle at Belmore Sports Ground. Photo: Michele Mossop
"When families start to go to football matches they sit in the same spot and they meet other people because they are united in their support for a team," Bulldogs general manage of community Fayssal Sari said. "It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, or from Sudan or Syria, sport unifies people."
Western Sydney University lecturer Keith Parry also believes the concept will have a positive impact for the membership recipients and he plans to chart the difference that being a Bulldogs fan makes to their lives through interviews, focus groups and video diaries.
"I am not aware of anything like this being done before," Mr Parry said. "There has been some stuff about the power participation but there has been nothing on using sport fandom to facilitate integration so it is going to be interesting to see what the impact of that is and how it does help people to settle in.
Lee Hagipantelis says membership packages could also bring families closer together. Photo: Peter Rae
"With the 10th anniversary of the Cronulla riots, it is very timely and this is an example of how the society is going to be multi-cultural and it is going to welcome people."
The membership program is part of a three-pronged approach by the Bulldogs to help tackle key issues in their area – social inclusion, domestic violence and health and wellness.
Canterbury players recently took part in the White Ribbon Day march at Lakemba and the club is working to help promote sports participation in schools, especially among girls from non-English speaking backgrounds.
"One of the things that new migrants find really difficult is to find a connection and to be part of that wider community, and we think the Bulldogs can help to provide that," Canterbury chief executive Raelene Castle said.
Lebanese Muslim Association youth worker Taha Marabani said the membership packages, which are being handed to families selected by Auburn, Bankstown, Canterbury and Liverpool councils, would also assist children to fit in at school and give them a sense of pride in the area they live.
"A lot of newly arrived migrants who come here come from very different backgrounds don't have very much in common with other school students so football is a really good way to unite them, to get them talking and that itself leads to finding more common interests so it is very powerful," he said.
Brydens Lawyers principal Lee Hagipantelis, who attended Belmore South Primary School and understands the social needs of the area, said the membership packages could also bring families closer together.
"I think traditionally you find that a family will follow the same team so if you give these people the opportunity to enjoy NRL club membership it has got to be a win for the club, the community and the family," he said.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds like a really good initiative.
Hopefully I'll bump into some of these lucky buggers.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And in the eyes of the media no matter what we do we still suck :(

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Another stereotypical load of kaka story. What is with the Canterbury club and Wogs ffs. Weve proven we can do it by accident over the past 40 years or so. Why not let clubs like lets say the sharks, roosters, or Manly for instance do this. Now that will be a story. I'm sick to the front teeth with this crapiola from our CEO.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
meh.... just another political stunt by our CEO...don't really give two f#cks to be honest

doggies15

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Another stereotypical load of kaka story. What is with the Canterbury club and Wogs ffs. Weve proven we can do it by accident over the past 40 years or so. Why not let clubs like lets say the sharks, roosters, or Manly for instance do this. Now that will be a story. I'm sick to the front teeth with this crapiola from our CEO.
says the heckler.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol.
Another regressive move if you ask me,
It will do nothing to help assimilate the refugees, and will further segregate our club.

But we must think positive,
The refugees come to Australia to free from their war torn country of origin,
They receive housing, better than anything available to them in their home land,
They receive medical they would have only dreamed existed in the world,
They receive welfare payments and a quality of living they never would have had otherwise
They receive opotunity for work and an even better life and opotunity,

And now they receive membership to the greatest rugby league club ever,

Talk about wining the lotto,

Surely they will appreciate all the help a country from the great western world provides to them in good will.

If the plan is to help them to become Australians and make Australia home, I hope they appreciate and acknowledge it, and wear their Bulldogs free merchandise with pride,

It's also a clever way the club builds up membership numbers also,

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is a fantastic concept by the club and sponsors...it's likely part of the sponsorship deal; they got the publicity out of it. Come on guys, we're doing something for folks that are less fortunate.

Heckler, there is nothing stopping other clubs doing it...we may not be the only club.

~c.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just wait until the refugee dad goes and buys 4 drinks and a pie for each kid
Comes back with $1:50 change from the crisp pineapple he just forked out
Then says, enjoy this kids ,cause we ain't coming back again. !

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll be suprised lov dog.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be suprised lov dog.
I'll be surprised too, heckler, if others follow our lead...casts a sad light on them, in my opinion not to welcome these new Australians into their communities.

~c.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The point i make is that we always welcome new Australians. That goes hand in hand with our club.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point i make is that we always welcome new Australians. That goes hand in hand with our club.
Ok, we are kinda on the same wavelength.
Maybe, also, new Australian's have traditionally been drawn to our club, synergistically so to speak.

~c.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought I'd never make it
Its an honour to share it with you.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are officially a political correct team/organisation.
Getting over these publicity stunts trying to make up for our on field failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.