News Why the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs aim to bring bite back to junior and reserve grade pathways

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A year ago, the Bulldogs didn’t even have a NSW Cup side. Now they’re in the grand final.

As the Bulldogs prepare for the NSW Cup Grand Final against Penrith, key figures explain how creating clearer pathways for Canterbury juniors is benefitting the club in the long-term. BRENDAN BRADFORD reports.

Bulldogs New South Wales Cup coach David Tangata-Toa has some insider information on the Penrith side set to run onto the field in this Sunday’s reserve grade grand final, having coached many of them at under 20s level.

But, he says, the Bulldogs will gain more by looking at Penrith’s broader system and approach to player development.

Tangata-Toa coached Penrith’s under 20s side until 2017, and says things that were implemented years ago are now bearing fruit.

Over the next two weekends, the Panthers have teams in the Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup grand finals, while Ivan Cleary’s NRL side is one game away from a third consecutive decider.

“There’s a lot of familiar faces, so it’s made it easier around our preview because I’ve been fortunate to have coached a few of the boys,” Tangata-Toa tells CODE Sports.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do at the Bulldogs to get anywhere near what Penrith have done though.

“And it hasn’t happened overnight at Penrith. There’s been a lot of people working really hard over a lot of years to get the club where it’s at now.

“But there’s definitely things they do really well that I’ll try to implement.

“It’s the example of a perfect system with all their grades making finals and grand finals.”

IMG_0527.JPG
The Panthers remain the benchmark in most grades. Picture: NRL Imagery

The 2022 season was the first time since 2013 that the Bulldogs had its own reserve grade team, rather than drawing from Mounties.

There were a few teething issues at first, but Tangata-Toa eventually guided the side to a fourth-placed finish on the ladder. Wins over Parramatta and North Sydney kicked off a successful finals campaign, before a heart-stopping 28-26 win over Newtown in last Saturday’s grand final qualifier.

With pathways in mind, introducing a dedicated Canterbury-Bankstown reserve grade side was one of Phil Gould’s major initiatives when starting his tenure at Belmore, and Tangata-Toa says it’s already working.

“We haven’t had reserve grade for a couple of years – we used Mounties – so this year was the first year we took over,” he says.

“It was a little messy at the start because we still have to allocate players to Mounties, but it’s really important that there’s a clear pathway, so that when a kid signs at 16 or 17 they’re in Canterbury colours all the way through until they reach their goal of playing in the NRL.

“I’ve been involved at clubs that have feeder sides as well. When Phil Gould first came on, he’s a big believer in reserve grade, and he wanted it back in Bulldogs colours.

“It’s important that it’s a clear pathway for when they first get there.”

Gus Gould was adamant the Bulldogs should have their own NSW Cup team. Picture: NRL Imagery

Excitingly for Bulldogs fans, it’s a very youthful side that will contest this Sunday’s NSW Cup final, with Tangata-Toa saying the average age is around 22, and that plenty of the squad are still eligible to play Flegg (under 19s).

His next task, which sounds obvious, is to teach the side how to win. That’s where the Panthers comparisons return.

“There’s a lot of young kids in the squad and it’s important at a young age that they learn how to win,” he says.

“You can see that at Penrith and the fruits of their system. A lot of them who are playing reserve grade now, were all in successful Flegg and SG Ball teams.

“It’s important to learn how to win in the lower grades so when they do get to the NRL, they’re used to that winning mentality, and Penrith is the perfect example right now.”

IMG_0529.JPG

The Dogs take on the Panthers in the NSW Cup Grand Final. Picture: NRL Imagery

The other, arguably more important part of his job, is to prepare reserve grade players to be successful in the NRL.

“That’s our job. Winning games and comps is a bonus, but in my thoughts, the reserve grade coach is to get them to a standard that when they do get called up, they’re ready to go, and don’t let themselves or the team down,” he says.

“We’ve had a few debut in the NRL at the Bulldogs, and that’s been the most pleasing thing. Guys making debuts and holding their own.

“As a reserve grade coach that that’s my job.”

Get even more from CODE Sports

Brendan Bradford

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
WE were without our own reserve grade for 2 years only, 2020 & 2021 I think

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yawn, in recent junior signings the ship has sailed to Port Bennett.
Our recruiters must offer a night with Rayleen Castle still.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Hmm the scary lady did it.
She did yes, but it was mainly in response to the league club grants stopping whilst it was closed during the first Covid lockdown of 2020. The deal was only ever for 2 seasons (2021/2022) and they (the club, regardless of who was running it) probably would’ve brought back Bulldogs reserves regardless. Gus and JK happened to bring them back a year earlier and their call was rewarded with a GF appearance. Hopefully they can go one better next year.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Bring back club championships. Being strong in all grades is a good gauge to know how your club is doing as a whole.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
She did yes, but it was mainly in response to the league club grants stopping whilst it was closed during the first Covid lockdown of 2020. The deal was only ever for 2 seasons (2021/2022) and they (the club, regardless of who was running it) probably would’ve brought back Bulldogs reserves regardless. Gus and JK happened to bring them back a year earlier and their call was rewarded with a GF appearance. Hopefully they can go one better next year.
. She did the same to NZ netball. Cut all the junior pathways.
I thought scary lady left before covid.
Was it the andersons? That organized the deal with mounties? I cant remember?

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any player from the mounties you'd bring over to the nsw cup bulldogs team for next season ? Dane Aukofalou goes good from some of the games I've watched

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
. She did the same to NZ netball. Cut all the junior pathways.
I thought scary lady left before covid.
Was it the andersons? That organized the deal with mounties? I cant remember?
Yeah it was Lynne.
Raelene was long gone and wrecking RA by that stage. Another Dib disaster appointing her.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is probably the most damaging aspect of the Hasler era, complete neglection of the juniors
A Manly player I knew once said, Des only cares for roughly the top 20 players from the squad, other players considered themselves lucky if they got a nod out of him when they crossed paths, that was 20 years ago maybe he is a changed man now.
As for the juniors almost total collapse, Toddy Greenburg started it and Hitler Hasler finished it :rage:

Dyms17

Waterboy
Reaction score
Also Jersey Flegg is under 21s not under 19s. What an epic fail of an article.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any player from the mounties you'd bring over to the nsw cup bulldogs team for next season ? Dane Aukofalou goes good from some of the games I've watched
There has to be more behind the scenes with Dane Aukofalou. Every game I have scene him play he has NRL player written all over him. Yet doesn’t get a mention anywhere.

Every game I watched with him in it he is in the top 3 in NSW Cup.

Either he is a lazy trainer, attitude problem. If someone could find what makes him tick he could be a very good NRL player.

Why he isn’t picked up by someone (by that I mean us) is a mystery? He is the style of player we are chronically short of.