Why the Bulldogs?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1995 grand final week. Deciding who to go for.

Driving in our family car, a maroon Mitsubishi Van.

All of a sudden my dad yells in a very wog accent - “Z Bulldog will eat z Eagle”

Supporting ever since

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Interesting how many locals are on here.

Both mum and dad grew up in Greenacre. Punchbowl Boys. Wiley Park Girls.

Grandma had a season ticket at Belmore. All my uncles, aunties, cousins go for the Dogs.
Never a question about following another team. Only ever the dogs

Went there a bit when I was younger, but when my mum passed away Belmore became my parent in all honesty. Was there every game from the u21s onwards.

Nothing better than the Dogs at that time. Experienced some amazing moments. Went to two grandfinals.

Love taking the piss on here but I honestly owe my life to the Dogs. To me they were my religion when I was in Aus.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Born into a Bulldog/Berries family. My Great Grandfather, who passed away before I was born, was part of the committee that started the club in the 1930’s.

Dad loved going to games. Even in the twilight years of his life when he was in a nursing home, my wife and I took him to games at ANZ in his wheelchair. The club refunded his membership money for 4 years as a reward for his loyalty over many years. For that reason you will never hear me say a bad word about Todd G

I was always going to be a Bulldog.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My story is simple my mum bought some bulldogs soxs from woolies which i had no idea about league then, i was very young which was a big deal then as we weren't very well off , after that my obsession started.

obe

Waterboy
Reaction score
It was in 1985 I was a fresh off the plane African Boy from Ghana.
The family was living in Neutral Bay, a North Bears territory, (not that I knew anything about Rugby League).
I had an aussie friend who took me to north Sydney Oval to watch Rugby league, (whatever that was).
My friend Louis took me to many games, he would cheer on his team the bears every game we went.
"Carn Bears" he shouted with me quiet, not having a team to barrack for and not having a feel for the Bears nor the other teams they played against.
So after three visits to North Sydney, I told my friend Louis that whoever the Bears play against next game I will go for that team so I can also barrack for a team to make it fun for me.
The next game happenned to be the Bears against a team called Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs (wearing blue and white).
Everytime Louis went "Carn Bears" I went "carn Bulldogs", (whatever that meant).
Lo and behold the Dogs beat the Bears.
From that day the Bulldogs were my team and they won the comp that year.
I believe it was all meant to be for me for follow the Bulldogs.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grew up in campsie, went to st mels catholic represented nsw athletics from school, nun there asked me to play league because of my athletics background, i had no clue what that was at 7, told mum ,so she took me to belmore for my first game in 76 from memory,
Some my best memories ive ever had has been at belmore, watching all 3 grades , from sliding down the scoreboard hill on hotdog bun cardboard boxes , seeing the trains stop to watch for a few minutes, dodging flying coins when they carried around a blanket at half time collecting for charity. The experience at belmore is something you cannot feel or experience at a stadium or homebush etc.
And i feel sorry for people who have never had that.
Teams genuinely hated playing there, true fact many players like mal menninga laurie daley even kevin walters who won 6 comps never won at belmore.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mum took me to Belmore 1980 and they play good footy and stuff and I got a Bulldog castro jacket.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
my older brother is a 'Dogs fan, Steve Mortimer was a god to me, and the first game I ever watched was the 1985 Grand Final... perfect storm

my brother though was not impressed when I drew a big '7' on the back of his till then pristine Bulldogs jersey with a black texter

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My dad went for them so I did. His father was a Balmain supporter so dunno what forced my dad to go his own way, but I'm grateful for it lol

the_yuk

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I started getting into Leauge around 2001 when I was about 13-14. Took a good 12 months or so to pick a team.
For some reason I was attracted to the way the dogs played, and then we had our winning streak in 2002. The salary cap drama and stripping of points really cemented my love of the dogs, and the us against them mentality.
Been a massive fan ever since.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Grew up in campsie, went to st mels catholic represented nsw athletics from school, nun there asked me to play league because of my athletics background, i had no clue what that was at 7, told mum ,so she took me to belmore for my first game in 76 from memory,
Some my best memories ive ever had has been at belmore, watching all 3 grades , from sliding down the scoreboard hill on hotdog bun cardboard boxes , seeing the trains stop to watch for a few minutes, dodging flying coins when they carried around a blanket at half time collecting for charity. The experience at belmore is something you cannot feel or experience at a stadium or homebush etc.
And i feel sorry for people who have never had that.
Teams genuinely hated playing there, true fact many players like mal menninga laurie daley even kevin walters who won 6 comps never won at belmore.
I used to love watching all 3 grades at Belmore. I would buy Big League during the week and would memorize every player in all 3 grades. I also remember the "peanut" vendor selling his peanuts on the hill and used to shout out " candy coated or in the shell"... I loved those pink candy coated nuts:grinning:)

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I used to love watching all 3 grades at Belmore. I would buy Big League during the week and would memorize every player in all 3 grades. I also remember the "peanut" vendor selling his peanuts on the hill and used to shout out " candy coated or in the shell"... I loved those pink candy coated nuts:grinning:)
What about those hotdogs as you’re leaving the ground. Old man in white coat, Softest buns, boiling hot dogs with mustard sauce on a freezing Friday night. Can’t beat it, especially after a win. The simple things in life are the best.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of guys named Les Johns, Johnny Greaves and Johnny Rhodes. Anyone playing today with the name John? Lol
Spot on mate.
Greaves was v tough and I loved watching Johnny Rhodes fly down that wing - that guy was quick,
And we all know Les Johns was a freakish talent who could do anything - and so humble off the field.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah forgot about that, you can still get them at parklea markets from memory.