Why the Bulldogs never quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
WANT to know what keeps Josh Reynolds going?

Uncle Matt. And his fight.

One which, right know, sees the brother of his mum Nicole laying in a Sydney hospital, battling cancer.

Uncle Matt is why Reynolds got the Bulldogs home against Manly on Thursday night.

And why, in those 14 years since golden point was introduced to the NRL, no team has a winning record near these boys from Belmore.

Canterbury may play uglier than sandals with socks. But still, they get it done.

Not only winning seven of their past eight games in the NRL, but nine of their past 12 in golden point. Giving them a 75 per cent success record — well above nearest rivals Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane.

And so rather than talking up his extra-time try that sunk the Sea Eagles, Reynolds instead walked you through yarns about effort. And will.

Like hooker Michael Lichaa being so drained from defending, his legs couldn’t get him to the ruck in attack. Or prop James Graham making 55 tackles while backrower Josh Jackson continually brought kick pressure, despite “looking gone”.

And then, well, he gets to Uncle Matt.

“Sometimes, life sucks,’’ Reynolds said. “My uncle, I love him so much. He’s a very special person who has been part of my life for a very long time. But he’s not doing too well ...”

And as anyone who has battled cancer knows, not well is what most other diseases refer to as bloody disastrous.

Which is why, in the hours before Thursday Night Football, Reynolds paid Matty a visit.

“And I’m not going to lie, I had no idea if I should go,’’ the gritty No. 6 said.

“The situation right now, it isn’t good. But I made a decision to go and it took a massive weight off my shoulders. Just to hear his voice, hear some of the things he said to me ... I felt free.”

Then, well, Reynolds went and got the Bulldogs home. Chasing a Sam Perrett grubber through the legs of Manly fullback Tom Trbojevic and over the tryline.

Which is why the Bulldogs have this incredible golden point record, right?

“We know that when we keep digging, the ball will bounce our way,’’ winger Brett Morris said. “So we’ll put ourselves in position to get that bouncing ball.”

Reynolds agrees, adding: “It’s unbelievable.

“Out there, you can tell by the look in the boys’ eyes that they’re never going to give up. Their body is telling them to, but the head won’t. That’s a trait that can’t be taught.”

And as for his try which won it?

“Given I know everyone was watching at the hospital,” he said. “I just hope I brightened their day up a little. “I know it sounds cliche to say ‘you play for people’. But really, you do.”

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
We only give up when we are 6 points in front and try and defend that lead for 40 minutes

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Good read, all the best to his Uncle. Glad to hear the boys feel that way, most of the time watching you can't see it. No doubt the belief is a valuable key to premiership glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.