Why SBW won't be a Bulldog in 2021 - BLAH BLAH BLAH

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL 2020: Why Sonny Bill Williams won’t be a Bulldog next year

Dean Ritchie, Exclusive, The Daily Telegraph

August 5, 2020 6:19pm

Subscriber only

It was the high-powered dinner at Brighton which many Bulldogs fans haven’t forgotten – nor forgiven Sonny Bill Williams.

Canterbury management called an emergency dinner at Le Sands Restaurant in July, 2008 to discuss increasing speculation that star player Williams was ready to walk out on the club – with four years remaining on his contract – for French rugby.

Inside the restaurant that night were then Canterbury Leagues chief executive John Ballesty, football club chairman George Peponis, Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg, Williams’ friend and former player Solomon Haumono, Williams manager and adviser Khoder Nasser, Bulldogs powerbroker Arthur Coorey, and Williams’ confidant Anthony Mundine.

Khoder Nasser, Solomon Haumono and Anthony Mundine sit across from Arthur Coorey, John Ballesty, George Peponis and Todd Greenberg at the La Montage restaurant in 2008 to discuss Sonny Bill Williams’ future.

Those aligned to Williams – according to others at the dinner – assured Canterbury hierarchy that Williams wouldn’t quit.

He left less than a week later!

While some at Belmore have forgiven Williams’ behaviour 12 years ago, others still with influence at the club haven’t.

Greenberg remembered the meeting when contacted by News Corp, but he preferred not to comment. Peponis did not return calls.

And Canterbury fans with long memories also haven’t forgotten the Bulldogs 80th season anniversary gala dinner at Le Montage, Lilyfield, where Williams was invited to celebrate his entry into Canterbury’s team of the decade.

The Bulldogs even invited Roosters chairman, Nick Politis, hoping it just may sway Williams to attend. The tactic failed. Williams declined the invite.

Williams continues to be linked with the Bulldogs for next season, a seemingly romantic and nostalgic end to the career of one of rugby league’s finest.

Sonny Bill William in action for the Bulldogs. Picture: Gregg Porteous

Another possible hurdle at Canterbury would be the club’s new sponsor, the Laundy family, are major poker machine proprietors.

While Stu Laundy has expressed an interest, Williams is anti-gambling and will refuse to wear a Roosters jumper with sponsor, Unibet, splashed across on the back.

The space will be by taken by a charity.

Despite having another year to run on his contract with Toronto, Williams has become a free agent after the Canadian franchise withdrew from this year’s Super League competition and then had their participation agreement terminated.

While he has heard and read talk linking his club to Williams, Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill doesn’t think the champion player would ever play against the Roosters.

And Williams’ asking price, according to agents, could be around $900,000 a season.

“He hasn’t come up in any of our discussions for next year,” Hill said.

“There hasn’t been a conversation and we don’t have a spot for him. We haven’t spoken about him internally nor have we had any discussions with Sonny Bill or his agents.

“There is always plenty of speculation around Sonny and the Bulldogs but I can confirm there hasn’t been any discussion about Sonny playing at the club next year.

“He is not on our agenda. There has not been any expression of interest from him or us and there is no plan to have a conversation.”

New Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett preferred not to comment on Williams when contacted by News Corp.

Canterbury players spoke publicly on Tuesday about the impact Williams could make at Belmore.

“Hey, contracts and the NRL, who knows that little question. I guess time will tell. Clubs need good players, Sonny Bill‘s a good player,” five-eighth Lachlan Lewis said.

And Canterbury back-rower Raymond Faitala-Mariner added: “With the amount of young boys that we have coming through, there needs to be some sort of guidance and to have someone like Sonny Bill, with his reputation, would be good for the club to have.”

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't think for a moment that he was going to join the club. But regardless of not believing it, it's a relief to hear the club quash the rumours. As much for the fact that I don't want to see this garbage taking up space on the forum as knowing that the bus driver is well past his best and would take up cap space more wisely spent on players with a future.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had the article starting the rumour and the one ending the speculation written ready to release the second one at the opportune time.

One thing I am glad of is that in a year or so Scummy Bill will have retired and we won't see new threads popping up about every second time he farts.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hate this bloke 500 times more than the Parra four.

$BW is a fucking mirage who talks about loyalty, love and respect.
Trouble is he is always just talking about himself.

You suck $unny, you should be wiped from all Bulldog records you flog.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't think for a moment that he was going to join the club. But regardless of not believing it, it's a relief to hear the club quash the rumours. As much for the fact that I don't want to see this garbage taking up space on the forum as knowing that the bus driver is well past his best and would take up cap space more wisely spent on players with a future.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had the article starting the rumour and the one ending the speculation written ready to release the second one at the opportune time.

One thing I am glad of is that in a year or so Scummy Bill will have retired and we won't see new threads popping up about every second time he farts.
Agreed with everything you said.
There's still people here clinging on life support with the idea of a fairytale story.
That he will put bums on seats and the mentoring to our younger players.
The way covid is going the seats will be banned from bums. The roosters players are pissing in everyone's pockets talking about his professionalism and what he did for the club.
How about what ex bulldogs players think of his professionalism. Sure he was young at the time but he grew up and chose the roosters twice.
The bitch ain't never coming back. Let's seek a new love affair with a younger player moving forward.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
He's past it. Forget sonny bill hes on the decline. Worth 400k max and hed never take that. And this rubbish that he makes the players around him better is bs. He was a quality player and probably one of the best forwards ever. Hed make any team batter. But did he turn toronto into anything? Or half the super rugby teams he played for? Only had success at the start studded dogs, roosters, chiefs and all blacks. Its a team game we need quality across the park.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
SBW wouldn’t come to the club that got him banned for 5 years.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How many times do we have to re-live the story of him leaving.

It's sickening how much this sport bends over for him - having 2 contracts, preferential treatment in quarantine, different Jersey to the rest of the players and on and on.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not that I thought it would ever happen but it's great to hear Hill shut it down..

Even half of 900k for a 36 year old $BW who was trash in the ESL is preposterous. He'd barely play ten games.

Fuck this circus clown and the hype he keeps generating while good players like Tohu Harris etc never rate a mention.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are we living in the twilight zone? Isn't this the 3rd SBW article in the last 2 weeks - every time it's the SAME crap? This proves what Gus said, we are the biggest club in Sydney. Even when there is no legit news about us they just rehash the same story. How many times can these morons tell the same story. Fucking hell

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

It's sickening how much this sport bends over for him - having 2 contracts, preferential treatment in quarantine, different Jersey to the rest of the players and on and on.
Because the nrlol probably think they can still make money off the ****, like a good little whore.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

It's amazing the pedestal this guy has been put on. They break every rule of competitive sport to make an exception for him. Even the All Blacks have let him pick and choose and set his own agenda. I just don't get it.

Entitled much.

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I thought it would ever happen but it's great to hear Hill shut it down..

Even half of 900k for a 36 year old $BW who was trash in the ESL is preposterous. He'd barely play ten games.

Fuck this circus clown and the hype he keeps generating while good players like Tohu Harris etc never rate a mention.
Grubby Money Bill Williams isn't worth a tenth of that $900,000 now. Roosters can have the hypocritical washed up prick now, next year and beyond for all I care.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who the fuck comes up with these figures 900k and apparently he’s willing to play this year for 150k at the roosters