Why O’Brien Overlooked Klemmer

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Condensed down, he lacks self control, wow who would have thought it :tonguewink:

Go Dogs

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Condensed down, he lacks self control, wow who would have thought it :tonguewink:

Go Dogs
a truly diplomatic explanation though from the coach --> Klammer doesn't need a title, does not want to inhibit Klammer's fire in the belly, the political correctness of being a captain etc.

the art of f*+#ing someone over but still making it sound like you are doing them a favour... bravo

not all milk and honey in the Hunter for the Klam

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hoppa? Yeah I know man, he's been pretty ordinary for the last few years, hasn't done much.
Make or break year for Hoppa to see how he plays in a new system and if he is willing to accept a reduced contract. But, to say he has been ordinary for the dogs is rubbish. Up until last year, he has been our best and most consistent player by a fair margin. I am happy to move him on and go for someone else if he doesn't measure up this year but his experience and standing amongst the Pacific boys would be a huge loss to our leadership

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Make or break year for Hoppa to see how he plays in a new system and if he is willing to accept a reduced contract. But, to say he has been ordinary for the dogs is rubbish. Up until last year, he has been our best and most consistent player by a fair margin. I am happy to move him on and go for someone else if he doesn't measure up this year but his experience and standing amongst the Pacific boys would be a huge loss to our leadership
Hoppa is typically good in all areas but occasionally sensational in attack for about 20% of the season. It just raises the question in my mind at times if it's an effort thing. I really started having my doubts about his commitment to League back when he was doing the no Sundays thing. Back then I would have been quite ok with the dogs not offering another contract.

If he could maintain the purple patches he has for at least 50% of the games he plays I'd be very excited about it. You want your best players playing at their best as often as they can. You don't want to be hearing a nagging voice in your head wondering whether he's just coming to work and doing what is required without busting a nut to be the best he can be.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hoppa is typically good in all areas but occasionally sensational in attack for about 20% of the season. It just raises the question in my mind at times if it's an effort thing. I really started having my doubts about his commitment to League back when he was doing the no Sundays thing. Back then I would have been quite ok with the dogs not offering another contract.

If he could maintain the purple patches he has for at least 50% of the games he plays I'd be very excited about it. You want your best players playing at their best as often as they can. You don't want to be hearing a nagging voice in your head wondering whether he's just coming to work and doing what is required without busting a nut to be the best he can be.
All good bro, but I totally disagree with your assessment of Hoppas effort. Last year was injury interrupted but the year before he got the Bulldogs player of the year. TBH, he rarely has a poor game

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surprised he ain’t chucking his toys out of the cot wanting a release

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If it's true he is unhappy at Knights, it's the classic case of what several on here warned of at the time he left, you are throwing away a life time of employment and involvement with the game as a one club hero.

The club he professed to love. His boys had all our gear and Bulldogs doona covers, welcomed into the dressing sheds and spoilt by the other players...all the feel good publicity of a loyal family man, who supporters and the club looked up to as a SOO Blue and Kangaroo.

He would have had a job for life here at this club. Either in Admin in some form with juniors etc or on the football dept staff....100% something would have been found for him...same as will happen for JJ if he wants it.

Instead, he appears to have been dudded yes but both he and manager? :grinning: could have sorted it without the backgrounding to media and the hype where his reputation went quickly south as a sooky troublemaker.

Same happened to Mason. Turned into a travelling footy troubadour with no real legacy other than achievements remembered at this club.

In an ironic way, it could also be a classic example of the superior coaching and opportunities he'd get here if they got him back...not sure on that but :grinning:

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand he was upset if he was dudded out of a promised 3rd party agreement ... but I don't really know those details. It was the way he went about it, without giving the club any real time to make amends over the long term. Not to mention he was salty about Sharon and Josh, but that's football.

He burnt his bridges as far as I was concerned with the way he agitated for the move and then when he declared his greatest RL moment as running out for the Knights for the first time. That remark was pathetic and simply marinated with bitterness.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Completely over him. Lost all my respect with the way he agitated for release when we were in a tough position. He never seemed as invested in club games as he was in rep games anyway. He's the enemy now and I couldn't care less that he's not in contention for the captaincy. Likewise I wouldn't have cared if he'd been selected as knights captain. I hope his rep career is over and he plays out his career never coming within Cooee of a premiership.