News Why Luke Thompson, perhaps the best prop in the world, can save Canterbury’s ailing season

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Love how this thread that’s dedicated to us signing one of, if not the best prop in the world has been tarnished by the usual window lickers having a whinge about recruitment lol.
Personally don't like the 'window lickers' term ...

But putting that to the side it's really disappointing seeing the positivity somehow sucked out of an extremely positive situation by people who'd prefer to see our club lose games ... I just don't get this type of thinking.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Love how this thread that’s dedicated to us signing one of, if not the best prop in the world has been tarnished by the usual window lickers having a whinge about recruitment lol.
Yep I'm not concerned, the guy is class and is explosive, doesn't matter how much work he gets through to me... He can find the line and thats all that matters to me. so hopefully we have some variation to what we are used to inside the opp 20m

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep I'm not concerned, the guys is class and is explosive, doesn't matter how much work he gets through to me... He can find the line and thats all that matters to me, so hopefully we have some variation to what we are used to inside the opp 20m
Definitely will add a different dimension to attack. Really excited about his signing and can't wait to see him in a month or two!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He’s going to be awesome if he does half those things on his highlights reel

Just didn’t see any defence highlights?

I’d stop short agreeing he’s the best prop in the world simply because he hasn’t been tested in the toughest comp in the world that is the NRL

Let’s hope he does smash all expectations and lives up to his price tag because God knows us fans need good news (and luck) in what has been a crap last few years

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He wont be our saviour Pay will need some sort of game plan.
But i get the feeling that Thompson will lift guys around him like Napa.
I dont think Napa will want to be out done by a young pommy coming over and making him look stupid.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes I congratulate Lynne and Hill for this but I read that Thompson refused to take a pay cut at St Helen's with the rest of the team so if true I guess St Helens' hands were tied and they thought better to get a transfer fee now for him than nothing at all.
That would’ve been orchestrated by his manager and the dogs, to force their hand and release him.

Reactions: DT

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
“Window lickers”??
You are a poor quality human being

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I had a beer today with a recently retired former international prop

I asked him about Thommo

He said ‘believe the hype’ talk amongst the current crop is he’s the truth

Apparently hits hard ‘solid as fk, that the roosters boys during the WCC didn’t want to know him ‘footwork at the line ‘

Let’s go!!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Will definitely add some much needed spark an power !!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Still seems small here. Looks like he gets knocked about in D. Maybe he's more of a mobile 13 like Elliott than a prop.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still seems small here. Looks like he gets knocked about in D. Maybe he's more of a mobile 13 like Elliott than a prop.
The guy is all muscle though, built like a tank. Don't think he will have any trouble with defense. I think he could be equally effective (or maybe even more effective) as a lock in our game, maybe he will find himself there at some stage.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
You need to make the most of the opportunities presented. We’ve had our fair share of bad luck in different ways recently so this is great news. Don’t know about the 95kgs mentioned in the article he’s be a lot heavier than that.
Looking at footage of him, he seems to be a big unit - unless all forwards are small in the UK.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's not expect a match winner in game one. He will need some time on the field to get match fit, and adapt to the faster and tougher pace of NRL.
I like his running style - Foran should be able to make good use of him.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Luke Thompson has declared he will be ready for the NRL in just 28 days after answering the SOS that could save the Bulldogs season.

Speaking exclusively to The Daily Telegraph from the UK after signing the deal that will give every Bulldogs fan hope, Thompson revealed his mission to ‘lift’ the Bulldogs from the NRL floor would begin on Monday when he starts a COVID forced isolation in a Melbourne hotel room that has been converted into a gym.

Regarded as the best prop in the English Super League, Thompson will fly out of the UK on Saturday after securing a release from St Helens to join the Bulldogs immediately.

“I want to be on the field as soon as possible,’’ Thompson said.

“I have to do two-weeks in quarantine but the club has organised a gym so I can get straight into it. It is all come about pretty quickly because of the coronavirus and I am very excited to get the chance to come over and play football again.’’

With Thompson set to spend 14 days in isolation after being granted a special VISA to enter Australia, the Bulldogs have installed a state-of-the-art gym in a room at Melbourne’s Crown hotel in a bid to fast-track the forward’s debut.

In an NRL first, Thompson will join the club for training sessions by way of video-link during his forced fortnight of isolation.

He will also have all his meals cooked and delivered by a nutritionist.

“I have to make sure I get through as best I can and I have to do everything I can to prepare for football while I am there,’’ Thompson said.

“I guess it won’t be too much different to what I have been doing the last 12 weeks in isolation here. Canterbury are going to set me up with a gym and I will do the best with what I have got.’’

A signing that could transform the Bulldogs into a final’s force and save Dean Pay’s job, Thompson is hoping to make his debut for the club in round nine when the Bulldogs take on the Broncos.

“I have been keeping myself fit over here,’’ Thompson said. “I have been doing my own training and have a gym here at home. I have been doing everything I can really. I have also been going to a field nearby and doing running work. I am feeling fit and refreshed from the break. There has been no contact and I am really looking forward to getting back into it. I will do everything I can while in isolation and then I reckon I will be good to go after a couple of full-weeks with the boys.”

Originally set to the join the club next year, the Bulldogs pulled off a COVID coup by negotiating a release with Thompson’s English club St Helens.

“We are thrilled we have been able to bring Luke to the Bulldogs in 2020,’’ said Bulldogs chairwoman Lynne Anderson.

“When we signed him earlier this year we asked the question but got a very firm no which we respected. The COVID-19 global impact offered us a slither of opportunity particularly when the UK Super League was put on hold indefinitely. We have worked really hard over the last few weeks to surmount many hurdles to make this happen. Hilly and I have spent many late nights on calls with UK but all the hard yards were worthwhile in the end. We are very grateful to St Helens for facilitating this. It’s a huge boost to our young team, and indeed our entire Club especially our fans. Luke is not just a quality player he’s a great kid. The experience he brings is a huge bonus for our young guns. “

Thompson will be out to replicate his Super League feats against the likes of Jason Taumalolo and Payne Haas.

“I just want to come over and play my game,’’ Thompson said in his first interview.

“I am going to work hard, train and let my performances on the field take care of themselves on the back of that. I have not played for a long time so I am just looking forward to playing again. I am going to do my best and give the team a lift anyway I can.’’

The 95kg prop is hoping to prove as successful as Burgess and Graham in the NRL.

“I really admire those blokes being English and what they have done,” Thompson said.

“If I could do anything they have done it would be great. I have had a close look at those that have been successful over there and they have had a great impact on the clubs they have been at. That is what I am aiming for.”

Thompson admitted the challenge of proving himself in the NRL prompted his move to Belmore. Called the best prop in the world by now Titans coach Justin Holbrook in 2019, Thompson declared his desire to play against the best.

“It was a tough decision,’’ Thomson said.

“It is not easy deciding to move to the other side of the world, away from your family and friends but it was the right thing for myself and my career. I want to be the best I can be at whatever I do and I felt I needed to come out there to be that. I need to prove that against the best in the NRL.’’

Thompson thanked his former club St Helens for allowing him to quit the remainder of his deal to join the Bulldogs early.

“I have to thank St Helens for helping me get to where I am now,’’ Thompson said.

“They have made me the person and the player I am today. I am very saddened to leave there and saddened at the way it as ended. I would have loved to have played again but the world has changed. This isn’t the way I wanted it to finish and I wanted to give the fans a proper farewell. I can’t thank everyone at St Helens enough for what they have done for me.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/6a103278f13f5ae94b10f956e21403fc
it's great to get him here early so he can adapt for next season !!!
I fear by the time he has an impact the 2020 season could sadly be over for us...
But as usual the Daily Telecrap reported and I quote:
(( A signing that could transform the bulldogs into a finals force and saves Pay's job ))...I dearly hope so !
(( Hilly and I have spent many late nights on calls with UK but all the hard yards are worthwhile at the end ))...LOL
Being winter in Australia, 12 midday in London is 9.00 PM in Sydney unless world times have changed !
Is Lynne desperately seeking credit ?
My advise to Lynne & Hilly...Do the Hard yards then announce the signing of a guns hooker, fullback and a centre.
Then every true Bulldogs supporter will stand and applaud you !!!

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure a bomb would lift Napa but let's hope so
He wont be our saviour Pay will need some sort of game plan.
But i get the feeling that Thompson will lift guys around him like Napa.
I dont think Napa will want to be out done by a young pommy coming over and making him look stupid.

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
not sure where the "best prop in the world" comes from..i ve heard it stated as "form prop". looking forward to see Luke in a Bulldogs jersey.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
it's great to get him here early so he can adapt for next season !!!
I fear by the time he has an impact the 2020 season could sadly be over for us...
But as usual the Daily Telecrap reported and I quote:
(( A signing that could transform the bulldogs into a finals force and saves Pay's job ))...I dearly hope so !
(( Hilly and I have spent many late nights on calls with UK but all the hard yards are worthwhile at the end ))...LOL
Being winter in Australia, 12 midday in London is 9.00 PM in Sydney unless world times have changed !
Is Lynne desperately seeking credit ?
My advise to Lynne & Hilly...Do the Hard yards then announce the signing of a guns hooker, fullback and a centre.
Then every true Bulldogs supporter will stand and applaud you !!!
I thought the same. Just tooting her own horn again. Part of the chairman’s job in my eyes. It’s not a Monday to Friday 9-5 job. Ask vlandys.

But I will still give them until the end of this season before being overly critical. Hill and Anderson said all along the though times will continue until 2020. Then we will be able to get the squad we want.

So good work getting Thompson here early. But we can’t be a one trick pony. We need to keep on bettering our squad which is severely lacking class and quality.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I asked him about Thommo

Apparently hits hard ‘solid as fk, that the roosters boys during the WCC didn’t want to know him ‘footwork at the line ‘

Let’s go!!
How recent? Did he play against LT?

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

I asked him about Thommo

Let’s go!!
I hope so but I also remember other former internationals telling you RFM is on the same level as Ali Lauitiiti so we will just have to wait and see.