Official Why Josh Cleeland was never a chance at first grade call up in 2018.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only see 29 as well.

All I can think is #30 was perhaps in the squad but never actually played a game.

Possibly Brandon Wakeham?

MBYE, Moses
MORRIS, Brett
MORRIS, Josh
HOPOATE, William
MONTOYA, Marcelo
FRAWLEY, Matt
FORAN, Kieran
WOODS, Aaron
LICHAA, Michael
KLEMMER, David
JACKSON, Josh
FAITALA-MARINER, Raymond
FUALALO, Danny
ELLIOTT, Adam
TOLMAN, Aiden
EASTWOOD, Greg
MARSHALL-KING, Jeremy
FINE, Asipeli
TUALAU, Francis
BROWN, Fa'amanu
HOLLAND, Kerrod
MARTIN, Rhyse
PRIEST, Clay
TO'OMAGA, Renouf
OLIVE, John
SMITH, Reimis
LEWIS, Lachlan
OGDEN, Ofahiki
SMITH, Christopher
Cerruto was in I think. If not him Burr.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
With lewis and cleland it was poor talent identification

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Club dogged him hard.... Pay is to blame here... one good pass in a trial to beat Canberra and JMK walks in.
Blame pay yez are all mad. What if we lost lewis in favour of cleeland. Its not pays fault he has to make foran work cause hes on a million a season. Maybe pay should of picked 9 halves in the first grade team to keep yez happy. Pfffft.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club probably had a formula for the make up of the top 30. We allocated x amount of spaces for halves and there wasn’t room for Cleeland. JMK was a major mistake as he really hasn’t shown that he deserves to be a regular first grader.
And the club made its youth policy clear from start. A 28 half with no first grade experience is not the ideal choice to build a young roster around. Yes jmk hasnt lived up to what deano hoped and we will see more others flop too. Thats football.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Blame pay yez are all mad. What if we lost lewis in favour of cleeland. Its not pays fault he has to make foran work cause hes on a million a season. Maybe pay should of picked 9 halves in the first grade team to keep yez happy. Pfffft.
Yeah mate

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
They werent in the top 30 yet jmk/brown/ceruto/frawley were
This ^^^ fact is what these excusers can't seem to understand unfortunately.

It was seriously flawed selections for our critical Top 30.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This ^^^ fact is what these excusers can't seem to understand unfortunately.

It was seriously flawed selections for our critical Top 30.
Spot on and the amount of great talent we have let slip over the last 5 years is criminal,i am happy mark hughes is back and feel we do have the right people now but no doubt those involved in selecting our top 30 this year made some very poor selections and cant do it again this year

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cerruto was in Or Burr
lol Cerutto is not of nrl standard.....and if Morgan Harper is going to be our replacement for Josh Morris than god help us.......I don't know what all the hype is about him...he had a very average semi finals series

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well they should of played better earlier then hey. Coaches cant for see the future how a player turns out. Oness of players standing out to be a clear cut in the 30 is up to there form before its selected.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol Cerutto is not of nrl standard.....and if Morgan Harper is going to be our replacement for Josh Morris than god help us.......I don't know what all the hype is about him...he had a very average semi finals series
Apart from the one on one strip that got us there. I cant say much have not seen enough of him.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JMK getting a 3 year contract just for showing up to training is absurd. Offers nothing.
Don't have to be the most talented player to be a valuable member of a squad. The guy has settled in well at the club and hasn't really put a foot wrong as well as being good value as a utility. The kid was probably over the moon to get a minimum wage contract and will continue to put 100% into everything...

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Apart from the one on one strip that got us there. I cant say much have not seen enough of him.
Perfect example.... A mix of Montoya and Smith. His no Manu but his a gooden.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You said the same thing about Lewis.... u don't learn do u.?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cant argue with that really... All those players bar Cerruto have had NRL experience. No brainer to have them as second stringers.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
People forgetting quickly that Harper can still play Flegg next year he's that young.

Cleeland was never getting a run over our halves lineup. Realistically he was too inconsistent and those areas of his game he was criticised on he never worked on to resolve (despite coaches trying).

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't have to be the most talented player to be a valuable member of a squad. The guy has settled in well at the club and hasn't really put a foot wrong as well as being good value as a utility. The kid was probably over the moon to get a minimum wage contract and will continue to put 100% into everything...
He will pan out ok as a 9