why isn't MBYE lurking?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It's not his job to be lurking waiting for the off load that comes while the prop is fighting to clear the ball. That's the job of the DH and lock and they are the blokes that typically get it. The FB's job is to be there for the short balls and set plays. He's around the ball all night in attack ready to go but if he looks for a hole to run into on one play he won't be there for the next one or two because he is out of position. So do you want him there in case Woods offloads or out wide in case RFM offloads or on the other side in case Jackson offloads. He can't be there for all of them. It will take him a full season to get the sense of which one to follow at which time. What would be nice is if we had enough fast players to follow all three and then it wouldn't be an issue. The Morris' generally are thereabouts for RFM but there's not enough speed if you add Hoppa and Montoya together on the right so that's where you will most likely find Mbye.
Yes it is his job. Watch how Barba used to follow each play and feed off our forwards in support play. Would've scored 40-50 trys for us alone from them. One of our few strengths is having forwards like Woods, RFM and Eastwood who can slip good offloads, we need to capitalise on these.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taking Mbye out of FB to try to fix the Hooker position will send the team backwards.
Putting Hoppa back at FB or anyone else In the team will not be a move In the right direction. He won’t handle the Defensive workload, Mbye is a natural FB and needs more players In the other key positions to fire so he can reach his potential
He had to go in and be first choice kicker in general play, that is just ludicrous
Sooner we fix the 5/8 position the sooner we can see what Mbye can offer
My opinion.
1-Mbye
6-NFI
7-Foran
9-JMK

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mythbye is a substandard bench utility. He is a reserve grade star but not good enough to excel at one position in the NRL.

$750k locked up for 2 more years after this boys.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Have JMK drop back to fullback in attack, and allow Mbye to roam around the field/halves.

Then in defence Mbye drops back and JMK steps into the halves.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes it is his job. Watch how Barba used to follow each play and feed off our forwards in support play. Would've scored 40-50 trys for us alone from them. One of our few strengths is having forwards like Woods, RFM and Eastwood who can slip good offloads, we need to capitalise on these.
Most of Barba's tries were out wide on the back of block plays. That's why they were outlawed. Yes he scored a few through broken play up the centre but they weren't very often from an offload from a tackled player. Most often from either a line break up the middle that he tagged onto after the fact or a forward tip on. Bottom line is you can't have him trailling every player who gets the ball. He'd cover 10kms in the first 5 sets. He has to be selective in where he puts himself. If we are planning on using him extra man out wide on the 3rd or 4th tackle then there is no point him standing next to the ball carrier in the hit up phase. He would be out of position for the main attacking play.

He certainly played better than Tedesco last night and he is a career superstar in the position.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Soo many times last night Woods, Klem and RFM had a loose hand and just offload the ball to another forward. Mbye needs to lurk around the ruck waiting for a loose ball and create something.

He went missing last. To be fair though I have no fuckin idea what are attacking game plan was. Soo painful to watch, i keep telling myself to not get too invested this year but i just cant help myself.

I keep telling myself it'll take at least 18months to see some result, but it still breaks my heart to see this football club turn to shit both on and off the field.
M'Bye has played 7 games at FB.

What did you expect?

He is still learning.

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He lurked a few times but with flat feet. It'll happen eventually.

Seriously can't believe the venom from some on here. Considering our draw and what low base we had to build from..what did you expect?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One of if not the best spines in the Comp scored 1 try against us.
Yeah we were far from our potential but ffs come on. Hahaha.
This place is funny

How many times was Tedesco the million dollar man lurking.
If he did how beneficial was it

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye is our fullback! That’s his best position, he kicks often but that’s not a bad thing in my opinion as he has some nice little touches, he will find his feet! Just has to work out where to be an whom he follows to get the offload etc.

It’s hard to watch for all of us, but can’t move him from 1 no two ways about it.

addoujspark

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
His playing too much halfback so when it's time for him to lurk he's too tierd needs to watch benny barbs 2012 highlights

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mbye has been fantastic at the back. Safe under high ball, well positioned, breaks the line. Sure he is not perfect, but who is. He will fire there, you just got to put your long vision glasses on.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He has been great there but seriously needs to follow woods in attack. I must have seen about 5 or more times woods had an arm free but no support last night.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mbye has been fantastic at the back. Safe under high ball, well positioned, breaks the line. Sure he is not perfect, but who is. He will fire there, you just got to put your long vision glasses on.
He should be firing now whilst he is a little unknown at the back..

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is still learning and has the basics nailed down, hopefully towards the middle of the season we really start seeing him develop the other parts of his game. As long as he is still improving there isn't much we can ask for.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He ran for 239m. Doesnt have the fitness yet for fullback. It will come. He ran big metres on kick returns plus his been doing alot of general play kicking and goal kicking these extras also gas you out. If someone else can goal kick and do the general play kicking it not only help moses from gassing out it will also help Foran. SOS Aiden Sezer.
Dude we have no fukin money left....we are stuck with what we have for the next couple of years,,,,

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone up mbye at fullback....
His had 7 games there.....
Ffs, been very good too, give him time to get used to everything the fullback has to do
Let's stick you in a new job for a few weeks and then abuse you coz your not doing what someone is doing that's been there for years upon years

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone up mbye at fullback....
His had 7 games there.....
Ffs, been very good too, give him time to get used to everything the fullback has to do
Let's stick you in a new job for a few weeks and then abuse you coz your not doing what someone is doing that's been there for years upon years
He has heaps to learn but its not like we didn't know that. Fullback would be on of the most difficult positions to get thrown into the way Mbye has been and he needs time.

In my opinion our season is already cooked so just give him the whole year there and see what hes like at then we will have a lot better indication if he's our long term answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.