Why is Barba so hard to tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
As the question asks, what is it specifically that makes him so freakish? Fookwork, speed and a great fend no doubt but sometimes you just can't explain to yourself how he does these things every week. ????

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Once in a lifetime player

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Read your question again you answered them already.

Pound for pound best fullback.

His speed footwork and ability to create opportunities from nothing makes his exciting to watch

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has really oily skin

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol I guess I did answer my own , still got me scratching my head maybe the footy show can highlight what makes him that little bit different. Pizazz I think they call it.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
And book he is very shiny Haha

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if people still reckon Marmin is better than Ben? If so Marmin must be a superstar!

It's easy to see why he' so hard to tackle: Fotwork, agility, speed and second to none positional play. He seems to have a natural ability to find gaps.

In kick returns he's keeps defenders in two minds. He has a decent step and incredibly good acceleration off the mark, so all it takes is a few missed tackles against defence, and with his speed he can put a good amount of distance between himself and other defenders. E.G both long range tries the winger and centre on that side have missed him (so effectively the two fastest opposing players on that side). Forwards and second rowers are unlikely to catch him, so if it's put down in a corner and he gets past the winger and centre, then you know it's time to get off your seat. Even then if others start to catch up to him, Reynolds, Morris and possibly Inu/Perrett are there in support.

In general attack my guess is his size helps him. Defenders are too busy looking at the immediate player instead of where Ben is hiding in back play. Being a brilliant positional player, any offload and small gap due to commited defence, and he's through and off.

Such an exciting player to watch.

Gingerbread Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
From broken play it's his speed and footwork but in set plays the forwards do a great job in setting him up. Graham, Kasiano and Tolman have the defensive line guessing whether they will take the hit up or pass it to the decoy runners (Halatau, Reynolds or Keating) or pass it to Barba out the back. This puts the defensive line on their heels and half a step late and allows Barba to attack and create overlaps or run into the holes using his speed. He is reading the game so well at the moment which has elevated his game to the next level.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot of players have speed, barba has explosive speed where he goes from 0 to flatout insanely quick. Being able to hit a very high speed with no windup is a massive attribute...

Then you have his instinctive step, which he can do off either foot on a moments notice and juke the absolute **** out of anyone who tries to touch him.

Theres alot of guys in touch footy who have these traits but would have absolutely no chance in contact league :p Barba would be insane at touch football.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Cheers for the intelligent comments posted some good reading in there. I suppose you really have to look at the players around him. Our fowards are proving him that room on the edges by creating second phase and broken play ewhere he shines most. Morris and barba are killing teams up the left.

H

Hitman

It's Des Hasler that taught him good at fullback because last year he wasn't like that, but im not saying he played crap last year but under des hasler he became better fullback and can't you see Barba he is strong and when you got strength and power/speed your hard to be stopped!!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Because on the field he hunts in his opponents heads !! When he's returning the ball they're sh**ting themselves, worried about what he's gonna do.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
As the question asks, what is it specifically that makes him so freakish? Fookwork, speed and a great fend no doubt but sometimes you just can't explain to yourself how he does these things every week. ????
You are missing the vital ingredients that bring those elements together; Imagination and intuition. His instinct to run an angle, step at the right time, accelerate and decelerate, fake a pass, put on a fend, twist, turn, kick - all these are woven together in a timely manner to find the holes and squeeze and bump out of tackles and avoid them altogether. This guy is pure instinct, speed, skill an agility - a dangerous combination making him the most lethal weapon in rugby league.

Last edited by a moderator:

RO11LR

Pup
Reaction score
It's kinda like Hayne in 09 , players kind of seem a bit memorized in defense when he gets the ball, it's awesome ! Hope he can keep it going.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Once in a lifetime player
Era of once in a lifetime fullbacks tbh...

Slater, Stewart, Bowen, Campbell, Minichello, Hunt, Inglis, Dugan, Hayne, Barba, Lockyer (Before his 5/8 days)

They're have different aspects but at their peak they all have something the rest can't do. Now if only we had that quality in the competition for Halfbacks and 5/8s

Renegade

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Speed & natural freakish ability.

This kid is only going to get better

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
easily the strongest in the club (pound for pound)

Status
Not open for further replies.