Why I think we badly need a decent half.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This would be a nice comparison for who were at the game and those who understand the game better than me
Flamingo was playing behind a very dominent pack.
Hastings was playing behind a pack which was badly dominated.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Flanagan blew so many opportunities because be refused to pass the ball right to Jake and Kiraz, there was even that one set before halftime when he literally turned a forward under 3 times on their line and we did nothing the entire time. Burton, Jake or any of the other backs did not get a touch.

I genuinely think his head is gone, he can't play when he has the ball in hand with time and just slows the play down to a snails pace while he makes a decision. If he gets the ball under pressure he at least looks wide and moves the ball like we saw for Kiraz's tries over the last two weeks.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I’m not here to kick the bloke as we won back to back. He backs up well but he’s a nrl halfback. He’s not up to it. Not even close. He needs a few years in esl and we need to throw his, hethos, jmk, Naden $ at a superstar 7.

With that filled and burton Mahoney and averilo we have a spine to build on and be a genuine force with tpj kikau Jac kiraz schooup king etc

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I was vocal for Chad Townsends signing before Flanno was axed by Chooks. We would be in a much better position with him, but Cowboys paid to much.

Flanno has a few good moments a game and aims up defensively. But out of all our players, I feel like he is still stuck in Baz structure and muscle memory and yet to break free of the shackles.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greatest difference 1 player (new player we haven't signed yet) could make to our team has to be Munster.

We can get by in every other position with talent we already have. Gould said himself on Twitter a couple of weeks ago there's little difference between a 6 and 7. We can play both Munster and Burton in our halves. We should offer Munster whatever it takes to get him (as in a couple of hundred grand more than the nearest bidder). Priority number 1. Hastings looked shit today. If we're buying 1 player for 2024 we should make it the BEST player available. This is our best and maybe only chance of being a serious challenge to other top 4 teams.

Averiilo is looking good at fullback so we can save a heap of money there. Whatever is left over replace Allan and Vaughan. Shop Thompson and Allan.

1 Averillo
6 Munster
7 Burton
9 Mahoney

Last edited:

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we all agree we need a halfback, problem is the lack of quality options.

Option 1. Jackson Hastings - slightly above average, could be an OK option though I certainly wouldn't break the bank to sign him.

Option 2. Cameron Munster - superstar player however he's a 5/8 like Burton, can he maintain his elite status outside the Melbourne system?, not to mention the million dollar price tag.

Option 3. Adam Doueihi - Talented player, not superstar level but he'd be in the next tier down. Like Munster and Burton he's also a 5/8 so i think we'd have to move Burton to 7, he wouldnt break the bank, however his injury history is a worry.

Last edited:

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gus has already decided who he WANTS to be in the 7 next year and when the time is right he will share this with us, assuming that he gets who he wants (which he usually does). Until then we to do our best with Flanno.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
with Vaughan leaving, I think we need another prop... but halfback is our most pressing position in need of fixing

I thought Mahoney was good last night vs the Roosters
Mahoney has excellent support play and service to halves from offloads. He could strike up nice combination with TPJ next year.