why do we have halves

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me why we even bother having halves in our side?

Our halves do not direct play, do not trouble defensive lines, do not have 5th tackle options, can't kick, cant put a player in a hole, cant play what is in front of them...they are basically passengers

Reynolds does things here and there but its not an 80 minute performance...he'd be better suited as an impact player to lift the tempo in the backend of each half

I sat there last night and it did my head in, we had sets there where the so called halves never touched the ball at all and even when the ball got out to the wingers or centres it went through the hands of 3 forwards to get there, how many times did Lichaa pass to Graham who then passed out to Tolman who then passed out to Klemmer?

And don't get me started on Tolman on the 4th we basically get 5 tackles not 6 like the opposition because every 4th tackle is wasted with Tolman hitting it up...its been our play for 4 years

but getting back to the topic....why do we have halves, what do they offer......should we just play 2 extra centres or second rowers?...........

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
When we beat Manly with T-rex in the halfs I think that showed how insignificant they were in the team.
We could deadset play Brett Morris in the halves under this system. He just wants us to run around teams..Brett could do that lol. I am so over this system.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me why we even bother having halves in our side?

Our halves do not direct play, do not trouble defensive lines, do not have 5th tackle options, can't kick, cant put a player in a hole, cant play what is in front of them...they are basically passengers

Reynolds does things here and there but its not an 80 minute performance...he'd be better suited as an impact player to lift the tempo in the backend of each half

I sat there last night and it did my head in, we had sets there where the so called halves never touched the ball at all and even when the ball got out to the wingers or centres it went through the hands of 3 forwards to get there, how many times did Lichaa pass to Graham who then passed out to Tolman who then passed out to Klemmer?

And don't get me started on Tolman on the 4th we basically get 5 tackles not 6 like the opposition because every 4th tackle is wasted with Tolman hitting it up...its been our play for 4 years

but getting back to the topic....why do we have halves, what do they offer......should we just play 2 extra centres or second rowers?...........
Cause no forward fits those little jerseys lol

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get pissed off with Tolman but I know he's instructed to do what he does and if he was sacked someone would just take his place of doing what he did before.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL to introduce new rule which only applies to bulldogs.

4 tackle sets just like the nines

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We will never win the comp with these 2. Best way to use them :

6. Mbye at 5/8 (hes been signed for 4 years)
7. ? Find a halfback. Give Chisholm a shot
14. Reynolds (Always has good energy, bring him off the bench)

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Only the Dogs could have proven everything we know about mathematics to be wrong.

In our case 2 halves = nothing.
Even as 2 negatives they can't create a positive.

Wtf do we call them then? minus halves...?

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Only the Dogs could have proven everything we know about mathematics to be wrong.

In our case 2 halves = nothing.
Even as 2 negatives they can't create a positive.

Wtf do we call them then? minus halves...?
Desshalves

smako38

Waterboy
Reaction score
Every week it does my head in.. i nearly put my fist through my $3500 70" tv last night.. seeing us capitulate in the last minute and half makes me violent...

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every week it does my head in.. i nearly put my fist through my $3500 70" tv last night.. seeing us capitulate in the last minute and half makes me violent...
Feel you bro - most annoying thing is we have been doing it all year and pretty much all of last.
Obviously the coach and team are unable to do anything about it.
Dysfunctional.

All last year we can't score in the second half and we still can't in 2016.
Its bullshit and the team isn't doing what it takes to be honest with eachother.

As supporters (speaking for myself) we get to 16-0 (or whatever) with 10 to go in the half and I EXPECT to go in close or level.
Its what we do. We throw games, EVERY week.
Its a sham mate.

Canberra's 22 points in the last 22 mins of that game just did my head in.
Titans
Warriors
Sharks
Samo, samo.

Tbh, I was shocked at Des's post match interview after Sharks - talking about how well we played etc.,
Like we won!

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Feel you bro - most annoying thing is we have been doing it all year and pretty much all of last.
Obviously the coach and team are unable to do anything about it.
Dysfunctional.

Its bullshit and the team isn't doing what it takes to be honest with eachother.

As supporters (speaking for myself) we get to 16-0 (or whatever) with 10 to go in the half and I EXPECT to go in close or level.
Its what we do. We throw games, EVERY week.
Its a sham mate.

Canberra's 22 points in the last 22 mins of that game just did my head in.
Titans
Warriors
Sharks
Samo, samo.

Tbh, I was shocked at Des's post match interview after Sharks - talking about how well we played etc.,
Like we won!
We almost got ran down from being 26-0 up last year, no matter how far in front we are you just know the other team is going to make a come back.

DezDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Watching QLD play on Wednesday night, in the opposition 20/30m line they would shift the ball from dummy half to either cronk or thurston then on to a front rower or pass out the back to a set line 1st and 2nd tackle!! please take note Mbye, Reynolds and most of all Desmond!!.
Why the fuck are we playing this rudderless form of footy>>? It almost feels as if des is self imploding this team , surely Reynolds and Mbye watch other successful halves play and think shit, I think I'm doing this all wrong....

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Like we won!
Semi Final vs Manly 2014- up 16-0 and giving it to the royally.....to win by a field goal in golden point.

Semi final vs Saints 2015- up 10 nil and dominating all facets of the game.....to win by a field goal in golden point.

Just too many examples....does my head in.

Bbyss

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think we're just too slow at the backs, our forwards set the platform but our backs don't capitalise, i don't remember our backs taking control of a game, like the opposition backs taking control in the last 2 weeks...

Bbyss

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Daly Cherry Evans debuted for Manly in 2011. Within 20 first grade games he went on to represent Australia and was named at the end of that season the world's best halfback by RLIF.

Kieran Foran debuted for Manly in 2009 and played his first game for New Zealand that same year.

Foran and Cherry Evans combined for a premiership in 2011.

In 2014 Josh Reynolds and Trent Hodkinson earned representative honors in the halves for NSW. NSW subsequently went on to win the series beating QLD for the first time in 10 years.

Me thinks Des knows a thing or 2 about coaching halves. Unfortunately he can only work with what he's got at the moment and if they don't have the ability their role has to spread amongst the team. We don't have a Cherry Evans or a Foran. Des was able to take 2 very ordinary halves and make them Origin winning halves.

Give the poor bloke a rest. He can't perform miracles, all the simpletons on here are just using him as a punching bag
Recruitment has been terrible since Des has been with the bulldogs, I'm not saying he should go, but recruitment should be better with speed out wide and kicking game for next year, we have the forwards......

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daly Cherry Evans debuted for Manly in 2011. Within 20 first grade games he went on to represent Australia and was named at the end of that season the world's best halfback by RLIF.

Kieran Foran debuted for Manly in 2009 and played his first game for New Zealand that same year.

Foran and Cherry Evans combined for a premiership in 2011.

In 2014 Josh Reynolds and Trent Hodkinson earned representative honors in the halves for NSW. NSW subsequently went on to win the series beating QLD for the first time in 10 years.

Me thinks Des knows a thing or 2 about coaching halves. Unfortunately he can only work with what he's got at the moment and if they don't have the ability their role has to spread amongst the team. We don't have a Cherry Evans or a Foran. Des was able to take 2 very ordinary halves and make them Origin winning halves.

Give the poor bloke a rest. He can't perform miracles, all the simpletons on here are just using him as a punching bag
If that's the case, why don't we splash money on halves that come up in the market? Sezer was rumoured to be wanting to come back.. Austin was there in the open market.. Mitch Cornish was available. There's probably a lot of genuine halves that we simple bypassed on. Remember, we were gonna splash out on Fifita!

So even if des has "work with what he has" there was ample opportunity to get some proper halves in the team. Simple fact is des doesn't want that and des thinks he can win with "what he has".

Barba

TANK
Reaction score
He tried very very hard to get Foran and couldn't. All the other halves you mention are no better than what we have. Cornish will never play first grade again. Austin has been injured 4 times in 12 months and is now terribly out of form. Sezer is no more effective than our halves as Canberra play a very similar game to what we do with forwards dominating and his role is minimal at best. There just isn't anyone better ATM
Sezer has a good kicking game. Much needed with mbye being a retard in that department

Status
Not open for further replies.