Why did we let go of Curtis Rona?

Reaction score
I don’t wanna ruminate on the past but why did we let go of Rona? He’s indicated several times that he’s keen to return to Belmore and even said “tell Des” and “tell Dean” to give me a call. He loves the club and i don’t know why we never made an effort to keep him / bring him back.

what are you guys thoughts?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t wanna ruminate on the past but why did we let go of Rona? He’s indicated several times that he’s keen to return to Belmore and even said “tell Des” and “tell Dean” to give me a call. He loves the club and i don’t know why we never made an effort to keep him / bring him back.

He requested a release to go play Yawnion. I've heard from a few people that his statements about returning are simply him trolling.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He wasn’t eligible for origin so therefore more money in union.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

He loves being in the limelight. That's why he trolls. If he loved the club, he wouldn't have asked for a release.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The guy was full of it,and still is,$$$$ was the issue and still is,not worth it let him stay where he is.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From memory he moved back to WA because that's where his wife Jacinta is from, and after years in Sydney with Bulldogs, he felt it was fair that he conceed something to allow Jacinta to be closer to her family in WA.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Nek minnit back in nsw after 1 year
Well yes, but that was at least partly due to the axing of the Western Force from Super Rugby - another quality decision by Raelene. They’re back now in the domestic comp courtesy of Covid and likely to stay.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
From memory he moved back to WA because that's where his wife Jacinta is from, and after years in Sydney with Bulldogs, he felt it was fair that he conceed something to allow Jacinta to be closer to her family in WA.
Nek minnit back in nsw after 1 year
Rona's is a bit of a complex story. Firstly he grew up in WA, was in the Western Force junior teams and played with many of the players, so he was basically going "home" to play with his mates on a 2 year $800k contract. Plus a ~$500k bonus if he made the Wallabies team for the 2018 World Cup.. The move back to Sydney to the Waratahs was forced by the Western Force (sic) being axed from the Super Rugby competition in 2017. He is currently playing for the London Irish and is still only 29 (not as old as you might think). Interesting factoid, he played League for New Zealand and the Queensland Residents plus Union for WA, NSW and Australia (he will play for anyone as long as he gets paid).

Go Dogs

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ignore the goose is my advice, well and truly past history.
Wouldn't know what crowds the Farce get these days or their results but they never took off here, AFL centric is Wait Awhile.Think Twiggy Forrest was the saviour for them getting back into the Comp., he was a fugby loving quince in his posh school days i believe.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ignore the goose is my advice, well and truly past history.
Wouldn't know what crowds the Farce get these days or their results but they never took off here, AFL centric is Wait Awhile.Think Twiggy Forrest was the saviour for them getting back into the Comp., he was a fugby loving quince in his posh school days i believe.
I am sure they were getting bigger crowds than the Bulldogs

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another dud decision.. a great winger very underrated imo..

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Because he wanted Union $$$$$ and wanted to go home to Perth.

Hard to keep someone who doesn't want to stay.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

He wanted to go.

I know he loves the club but the fact is he's earning much more in union for pretty much doing the same thing. I think he might want to come back in the twilight of his career, but it's sun likely we'll sign him then.