Why Cooper Cronk as captain-coach could be perfect fit for Canterbury Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
There is only one player who could move to a different NRL club next season and resurrect the long abandoned role of captain-coach.

There is only one way to pay him the salary his skills and stature demands, given most clubs have little salary cap space left.

There is only one club that requires a total remake of its culture and, despite its ex-players demanding the return of one of their own, my choice could do the job with the right support.

Melbourne Storm halfback Cooper Cronk could move to the Bulldogs as captain-coach, with the majority of his salary paid outside the cap.

Given that Cronk is committed to moving to Sydney next season to be with his fiancee Tara Rushton, a Fox Sports journalist, he will either retire or play for less than his market worth

However, a soft cap will apply to football department spending from next season, including the salaries of coaches. The NRL is yet to address the issue of whether the major share of a contract could be paid to a player-coach from a club football department and a small payment come from next year's $9.6 million player salary cap.

So two questions remain: could Cronk do the job and is Canterbury the right fit for him?

When I advanced the theory to Cronk at Storm headquarters on Monday, he was way ahead of me, aware of where my meandering hypothesising was going.

On the move: Cooper Cronk will shift to Sydney at the end of the season. Photo: AAP

He fixed me with a look of respectful ridicule, if that's not an oxymoron, and said directly: "Quash that theory. A job too hard. Way above my pay grade."

But the job of head coach has become harder because they are being given too much power.

The responsibilities they are being asked to assume have diverted them from the main task, which is to win at the weekend.

When Des Hasler joined Canterbury for the 2012 season and coached his team to the grand final, he was given powers greater than any of his predecessors.

He had the Bulldogs back in the grand final in 2014 but, over the following years, some of his powers were curtailed and if there was a refocus on what should happen at the weekend, it didn't result in wins.

Provided a head coach has a very strong football manager, such as the Storm's Frank Ponissi, and an astute chairman, such as the Broncos' Dennis Watt, and hard-working, non-treacherous assistants, he can concentrate on preparing his team for a win.

Admittedly, it's fanciful to link Cronk with Canterbury. But relieving a coach, even a player-coach, of all duties other than preparing a team for a win is what is needed now in a season where four head coaches have been sacked.

Hasler certainly saw a role for Cronk at Belmore, offering to swap two players for him a couple of seasons ago.

But former Canterbury players, such as Steve Mortimer and Terry Lamb, demand the appointment of a head coach with the Bulldogs DNA.

Do the Bulldogs really know what they want? An ex-player from the Fortress Belmore-era when the club was the most insular and moat-like in the league?

Today's football is far more expansive than in that era and a culture of sharing has replaced secrecy.

After Saturday's preliminary final, we heard the Cowboys' Gavin Cooper praise Cronk for advice he gave halfback Michael Morgan while in a representative players' camp.

Cronk encouraged Morgan to take more responsibility in directing the Cowboys around the field, yet on Sunday, the Storm halfback will be confronting an energised Morgan in a grand final.

Well-after the Storm's preliminary final win over Brisbane, Cronk was sitting in the player's room at AAMI Park, still in his playing strip, explaining nuances of play to his young left-edge teammates, Curtis Scott and Josh Addo-Carr.

He is unselfish with his knowledge, while communicating it in a direct, respectful manner – a fundamental requirement for a coach or a future TV analyst.

Tommy Raudonikis is an admirer. "Cronk deserves every plaudit which comes his way. He is a super player, very skilful plus he has a kicking game, which I didn't."

Perhaps Tom was marginally miffed his old coach had found a new halfback to admire, because the old competitor surfaced. "I would have liked to play him in my era," Tom said. "He had Adam Blair chasing him in the Brisbane game. If it was in my era, it wouldn't be Blair. It would be me chasing him."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-for-canterbury-bulldogs-20170925-gyoc88.html

Last edited by a moderator:

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
These ***** are tryna gee us up man fmd

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about we make him halfback/assistant coach... with most of his salary paid to his assistant coach role....;)

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think that the NRL would have a problem with this. 1. It's the Bulldogs so they will not let us do what say they would let their teams like Gold Coast or Dragons do. Secondly the NRL would say that Cronk would have to have a minimum (market value) contract value to fit under our cap. We simply don't have the cap space if you believe the media.

On another note with the soft cap. Surely the coaches wouldn't allow their salaries to be capped would they? Surely someone like money hungry Des would challenge it in court & easily win - restraint of trade.

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There is only one player who could move to a different NRL club next season and resurrect the long abandoned role of captain-coach.

There is only one way to pay him the salary his skills and stature demands, given most clubs have little salary cap space left.

There is only one club that requires a total remake of its culture and, despite its ex-players demanding the return of one of their own, my choice could do the job with the right support.

Melbourne Storm halfback Cooper Cronk could move to the Bulldogs as captain-coach, with the majority of his salary paid outside the cap.

Given that Cronk is committed to moving to Sydney next season to be with his fiancee Tara Rushton, a Fox Sports journalist, he will either retire or play for less than his market worth

However, a soft cap will apply to football department spending from next season, including the salaries of coaches. The NRL is yet to address the issue of whether the major share of a contract could be paid to a player-coach from a club football department and a small payment come from next year's $9.6 million player salary cap.

So two questions remain: could Cronk do the job and is Canterbury the right fit for him?

When I advanced the theory to Cronk at Storm headquarters on Monday, he was way ahead of me, aware of where my meandering hypothesising was going.

On the move: Cooper Cronk will shift to Sydney at the end of the season. Photo: AAP

He fixed me with a look of respectful ridicule, if that's not an oxymoron, and said directly: "Quash that theory. A job too hard. Way above my pay grade."

But the job of head coach has become harder because they are being given too much power.

The responsibilities they are being asked to assume have diverted them from the main task, which is to win at the weekend.

When Des Hasler joined Canterbury for the 2012 season and coached his team to the grand final, he was given powers greater than any of his predecessors.

He had the Bulldogs back in the grand final in 2014 but, over the following years, some of his powers were curtailed and if there was a refocus on what should happen at the weekend, it didn't result in wins.

Provided a head coach has a very strong football manager, such as the Storm's Frank Ponissi, and an astute chairman, such as the Broncos' Dennis Watt, and hard-working, non-treacherous assistants, he can concentrate on preparing his team for a win.

Admittedly, it's fanciful to link Cronk with Canterbury. But relieving a coach, even a player-coach, of all duties other than preparing a team for a win is what is needed now in a season where four head coaches have been sacked.

Hasler certainly saw a role for Cronk at Belmore, offering to swap two players for him a couple of seasons ago.

But former Canterbury players, such as Steve Mortimer and Terry Lamb, demand the appointment of a head coach with the Bulldogs DNA.

Do the Bulldogs really know what they want? An ex-player from the Fortress Belmore-era when the club was the most insular and moat-like in the league?

Today's football is far more expansive than in that era and a culture of sharing has replaced secrecy.

After Saturday's preliminary final, we heard the Cowboys' Gavin Cooper praise Cronk for advice he gave halfback Michael Morgan while in a representative players' camp.

Cronk encouraged Morgan to take more responsibility in directing the Cowboys around the field, yet on Sunday, the Storm halfback will be confronting an energised Morgan in a grand final.

Well-after the Storm's preliminary final win over Brisbane, Cronk was sitting in the player's room at AAMI Park, still in his playing strip, explaining nuances of play to his young left-edge teammates, Curtis Scott and Josh Addo-Carr.

He is unselfish with his knowledge, while communicating it in a direct, respectful manner – a fundamental requirement for a coach or a future TV analyst.

Tommy Raudonikis is an admirer. "Cronk deserves every plaudit which comes his way. He is a super player, very skilful plus he has a kicking game, which I didn't."

Perhaps Tom was marginally miffed his old coach had found a new halfback to admire, because the old competitor surfaced. "I would have liked to play him in my era," Tom said. "He had Adam Blair chasing him in the Brisbane game. If it was in my era, it wouldn't be Blair. It would be me chasing him."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-for-canterbury-bulldogs-20170925-gyoc88.html
This hack obviously reads the Kennel and regurgitates it as his own thoughts. I posted this last Wednesday at 3:56 pm in the Pay or Brennan thread.....

Cooper Cronk Captain/Coach. Now there's an idea. Does that mean his salary wouldn't fall under the cap?

Masters the prick should get done for plagiarism.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Captain coach lol. Whens the last time an NRL club has had a captain coach at FG level? Its a gee up. A 1 year cameo from Cronk wont help us that much, and shit he would be as expensive as Foran, and we still need to shed someone to keep him yet. No chance.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
On another thought, what is the "soft cap" going to be next year? Because, let's say for argument's sake, Des successfully sues the club or we reach an agreement. Surely that amount comes off the soft cap. What would that leave us to spend on any coach? Anything? Put us in debt for the following year?

Killara DogStat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
On another thought, what is the "soft cap" going to be next year? Because, let's say for argument's sake, Des successfully sues the club or we reach an agreement. Surely that amount comes off the soft cap. What would that leave us to spend on any coach? Anything? Put us in debt for the following year?
The Soft cap includes all our coaching staff incl all trainers physio psychologist etc to be under $2m & starts November 1st this year. That is why i is in best interest if we have to pay Hasler a payout figure to avoid courtas this will delay settlement which prob would then have to settle after Nov 1st thus effective our soft cap for all coaching staff for 1st year to $2m less Hasler pay out unless we can settle this b4 November 1st!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Who wrote this shit? I can't see a byline, but seriously....captain/ coach. What sort of idiot write this garbage? Get serious.

I'd love Cronk to play for us, but professional footy clubs don't employ captain/ coaches. What's next? Are we going to ask his mum (or Tara) to wash all our jerseys for us too?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
This hack obviously reads the Kennel and regurgitates it as his own thoughts. I posted this last Wednesday at 3:56 pm in the Pay or Brennan thread.....

Cooper Cronk Captain/Coach. Now there's an idea. Does that mean his salary wouldn't fall under the cap?

Masters the prick should get done for plagiarism.
Cronk was thrown up in here months ago as Captain/Coach.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Soft cap includes all our coaching staff incl all trainers physio psychologist etc to be under $2m & starts November 1st this year. That is why i is in best interest if we have to pay Hasler a payout figure to avoid courtas this will delay settlement which prob would then have to settle after Nov 1st thus effective our soft cap for all coaching staff for 1st year to $2m less Hasler pay out unless we can settle this b4 November 1st!
Is there any other sport in the world that applies this to their clubs? Surely not!

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah, that was my idea to get a decent half at our club on the cheap, coach wage doesnt come into the cap.
These guys troll here for stories.

Dirty*Deeds

Waterboy
Reaction score
Maybe if it was 1950, as if the NRL would let gronk to be captain/ coach of anybody especially us

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Roy Masters is very well connected and entrenched to the Melbourne Storm.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We've already Cronk drooled, would make a great Pay assistant and mentor for Foran, where are we getting all this money from?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Cronk was thrown up in here months ago as Captain/Coach.
"Thrown up" sounds appropriate. Apart from the fact fg teams don't have captain/coaches, how does anyone know if cronk can coach. I doubt Cronk knows. Massive gee up

Status
Not open for further replies.