Why Canterbury Bulldogs winger Curtis Rona is interested in Radradra's fortunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Curtis Rona was playing cards with his Canterbury teammates on the Central Coast on Saturday night when one of them flicked the TV on.

He might have a good poker face, but that all changed when Parramatta's Semi Radradra - Rona's biggest threat in the race to become the season's leading try scorer - crossed for yet another four-pointer. "I was like Wow! Somebody stop him!", Rona said.

"I was getting a bit aggressive with [my card play]. It was a bit of a laugh, the boys were giving it to me saying I've got to score some tries tomorrow. I managed to scrounge up a double."

As it stands right now, Radradra and Rona have crossed for 19 tries this season. Both have lit up the NRL after the most unconventional journeys from the 15-man code. Radradra via the kava farm of his tiny Fijian village of Somosomo. Rona, meanwhile, was born in New Zealand, lived for 12 years in Western Australia, spent time in Queensland and now calls Belmore home. There are no better case studies for rule makers trying to make sense of representative eligibility.

On that front, Rona has made his choice. Having already represented the Junior Kiwis, the former Cowboy wants to step up for the senior ranks.

"In the back of your mind, playing Origin would be a massive achievement for myself," he said. "But deep down my roots are New Zealand, that would be my first preference to represent my family and culture."

But even if he gets the call up for New Zealand's tour, there are complications. Rona's wife, Jacincta, is scheduled to give birth just as the tour gets underway.

"That's the other dilemma," Rona said. "It will be a tough decision for me and my partner if I do make that squad, if I stay or go. We've got procedures there if I go and get picked. It's a win-win situation for me, I'd be pretty happy with my first to come. It will be interesting."

Rona has an uncanny knack for finding the line. The 23-year-old made just seven first-grade appearances for North Queensland and scored six tries. That takes his strike rate to 27 from 25 NRL games. The Bulldogs will need him to add to the tally if they are to make secure a finals spot and then proceed deep into September.

Rona has spent most of his life in AFL and rugby country. Given his 105kg, 195cm frame, he would likely have succeeded at either of those pursuits. However, the Waitara product chose league, initially because the Western Reds provided a better development pathway in the nation's west. He spent three years in the Roosters' NYC ranks but it's only now that he has truly made his mark on Sydney.

"It has been a good year for myself, being top try scorer after 23 rounds, I wouldn't have thought 12 months ago that I would be in this position," he said.

"I'm just thankful and glad I'm in the running to make history for myself and the club. I don't know the last time a person at the club was a top try scorer. With two or three games to the Dally M, hopefully I can bag a couple this weekend."

His opportunity will come on Friday night in the replay of both the grand final and the spiteful Good Friday encounter against South Sydney. Rona will do his best against the Rabbitohs and then take a particular interest in the fortunes of Parramatta in their remaining matches.

"All my teammates gee me up about it when Semi scores a few tries," he said.

"I was in a drought for a few games and he scored a few doubles."

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The kids strike rate is phenomenal so far, 27 tries from 25 games. Gotta say Radradra has missed quite a few games this season so his strike rate this year is pretty impressive too. Talking of the last bulldog to top the try scoring list, didn't wanker top the list in 2012 and tie for 1st in 2011?

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$6.5 for first try scorer this week, and the same stake for getting a double.

~cb.

CORRECTION: only paying $3.4 for a double.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Comeon curtis got my $50 @34/1 for nrl top tryscorer

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's been very good for us this year. Very nice humble down to earth guy with good family values.

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Got rona top try scorer into croker top point scorer $20 outlay for a 4.5k collect carn rona

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Haven't got any money on the bloke but called it last year when people were saying who is this "Rona" bloke.........love it!

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
The kids strike rate is phenomenal so far, 27 tries from 25 games. Gotta say Radradra has missed quite a few games this season so his strike rate this year is pretty impressive too. Talking of the last bulldog to top the try scoring list, didn't wanker top the list in 2012 and tie for 1st in 2011?
Thats correct.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Barba's a nobody now so easy mistake

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good on Curtis. Friend of ours at the footy has made a bit of dough off of his first try scoring odds this year.Up until round thirteen he had scored the first try in a game five times. All up so far ;twenty games and nineteen tries this year, not bad.

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the kid. Hope he is with us for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.