News Why blank cheque from Bulldogs couldn't cure Bateman's homesick blues

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great player, would've been a great addition to our side on a good price but he did what was right for him and his family.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Then why did he come to Oz in the first place

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When you offer a player no disrespect but I don’t put him in elite category an open cheque

Please

That’s not negotiating, that’s cap in hand begging

We dodged a bullet

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Had we paid anymore than 600k for this guy I would of been ropable . You would think the club would of learned there lesson in regards to overpaying back rowers and props.
Seriously? You have no idea then what a John Bateman brings to a footy side. He's shown enough to prove he's an $800k +player. What do you think Jake T or D Fifita are commanding? Id rather J Bateman than either of them who are both on $1m +

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Seriously? You have no idea then what a John Bateman brings to a footy side. He's shown enough to prove he's an $800k +player. What do you think Jake T or D Fifita are commanding? Id rather J Bateman than either of them who are both on $1m +
He brings a lot.
He has a high work ethic in training.

He has X factor in attack. Unconventional, splits the edges and makes them guess, gets the offload, draws defenders in.

Is a 50 tackle a game defender.

He also is an 80 minute man on top of the above.

That means they can carry in games a heavy prop rotation and they can go faster and harder knowing Jacko and Bateman can go the distance. This will live the impact of our props by ten percent or so.

He was worth 800 imo.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No use at all arguing what he's worth verse what we offered him when he wants to go home. He spoke about his grandmother. If he's anything like me, this Covid stuff has me worried that if she gets it, it'll have been six months since I had a chance to visit her and that'll be the last time I ever get to.

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I also do t understand why Bateman couldn't just import Millie to Australia
Over a million pound contract over 4 years plus bonuses and no agent fees from Wigan was enough to steer him home
He needed a $800k x 3 years, just to break even to stay in the NRL
When he doesn’t need too, he’s proved his point, job done !

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Over a million pound contract over 4 years plus bonuses and no agent fees from Wigan was enough to steer him home
He needed a $800k x 3 years, just to break even to stay in the NRL
When he doesn’t need too, he’s proved his point, job done !
I thought he took 500k AUD over 4 years. Widely reported that he took a pay cut to be reunited with his family.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the conversation probably played out like this:

Hill: so Bateman what do you want?
Bateman: $1M
......silence
Bateman: Hill? Are you still there
(Beep beep beep)

Next minute Bateman telling the media Hill offered whatever he wanted. Please.

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought he took 500k AUD over 4 years. Widely reported that he took a pay cut to be reunited with his family.
The exchange rate in the currencies is not in the English players advantage at present and when you factor in your high living cost there also, it’s not that attractive !
Ask Alex Walmsley

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Then why did he come to Oz in the first place
Because in a couple of weeks time when he boards his flight back to Manchester he will be taking $1m back home to sunny Yorkshire

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sunny Yorkshire
EE0B10E6-7022-49F3-B5DF-8464EB9E1543.jpeg
Sorry? Ha ha, just kidding mate. I totally hear what you’re saying money wise and I’m also betting C-19 will probably keep a few more at home who may have otherwise chanced their hand out here.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This club was arrogant in thinking it could let go of big ticket players, big personalities, like Ennis and Graham, even a big name coach like Hasler, and remain appealing or relevant to anyone else.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So the conversation probably played out like this:

Hill: so Bateman what do you want?
......silence
Bateman: Hill? Are you still there
(Beep beep beep)

Next minute Bateman telling the media Hill offered whatever he wanted. Please.

More like:

Lynne: so Bateman what do you want?
......silence
Bateman: Lynne? Are you still there
(Beep beep beep)

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Would have been great to get him, but he hasn't been at his best in the later half of the season. Thought he played a whole lot better last season.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Because in a couple of weeks time when he boards his flight back to Manchester he will be taking $1m back home to sunny Yorkshire
After paying agents fees and income tax, plus living expenses he‘ll have had to be really frugal to have $250k left, that’s about GBP130k.

Go Dogs