News Why Barrett appointment could influence Harawira-Naera future.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The impending appointment of Trent Barrett as Canterbury coach may help convince disgruntled New Zealand international Corey Harawira-Naera to stay at the Bulldogs.

Harawira-Naera is considering his future and has interest from rival clubs after the NRL appeals committee overturned the decision to deregister the contracts of the Kiwis second-rower and Canterbury teammate Jayden Okunbor over incidents during the pre-season.

Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill and chair Lynne Anderson are due to meet with Harawira-Naera on Friday to discuss whether he returns to the squad next week or seeks a release with more than two years remaining on his contract.

Canberra, St George Illawarra, the Warriors and Wests Tigers have all been linked with Harawira-Naera if he becomes a free agent but it is understood the Bulldogs would prefer to retain him.

While an announcement on Canterbury's long-term replacement for Dean Pay isn't expected before next week, Barrett is the club's preferred choice and he was interviewed on Monday night.

If he takes charge of the Bulldogs next season, it may have an influence on Harawira-Naera's decision as the 25-year-old began his playing career under Barrett at Penrith in 2014.

At the time Barrett was coach of the Panthers' under 20s team and Harawira-Naera was playing fullback in a team which included Canterbury second-rower Chris Smith and hooker Sione Katoa, Parramatta centre Waqa Blake and Penrith trio Brent Naden, James Fisher-Harris and Moses Leota.

Rival clubs are waiting on the outcome of Harawira-Naera's meeting with the Bulldogs before making any formal approach for his services and expect him to remain at Belmore.

Harawira-Naera and Okunbor are yet to play this season after having their registrations cancelled by the NRL on April 1 over the pair's involvement with school girls they met while in Port Macquarie for a pre-season trial.

Bulldogs officials were furious at the pair's behaviour, which while not illegal breached the club's and NRL's codes of conduct.

However, they were reinstated on Monday after the NRL appeals committee revised the penalty against Harawira-Naera to a 10-match ban and $15,000 fine, while Okunbor received a 14-match suspension and $22,500 fine, as well as mandatory counselling or community service.

Senior Canterbury players have said the pair would be welcomed back.

"From a playing point of view, and all the players are in agreeance, we want them back," veteran prop Aidan Tolman said.

"For us as players, if the NRL believes they have done their time and that is the penalty warranted then we want them back here and playing."

Star five-eighth Kieran Foran said: "It would be great to have them back. They have served their time. They were teammates of ours, they are team-mates of ours, so they would certainly be welcome back from my point of view."

If he stays, Harawira-Naera would be available for selection by interim coach Steve Georgallis next week but it is expected he would need longer before he is ready to play.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think Nathan Cleary wants to play under Barrett, heard he doesn't like his coach

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His coach rooted his mum, can you blame him for hating him?
one of the best sledges ever was when two brothers played each other in the afl and one said to the other my dad fucked your mum hahaha

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
one of the best sledges ever was when two brothers played each other in the afl and one said to the other my dad fucked your mum hahaha
Or That time when the teams were fighting and the Morris twins were in the back ground pretending to punch on! Haha

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The impending appointment of Trent Barrett as Canterbury coach may help convince disgruntled New Zealand international Corey Harawira-Naera to stay at the Bulldogs.

Harawira-Naera is considering his future and has interest from rival clubs after the NRL appeals committee overturned the decision to deregister the contracts of the Kiwis second-rower and Canterbury teammate Jayden Okunbor over incidents during the pre-season.

Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill and chair Lynne Anderson are due to meet with Harawira-Naera on Friday to discuss whether he returns to the squad next week or seeks a release with more than two years remaining on his contract.

Canberra, St George Illawarra, the Warriors and Wests Tigers have all been linked with Harawira-Naera if he becomes a free agent but it is understood the Bulldogs would prefer to retain him.

While an announcement on Canterbury's long-term replacement for Dean Pay isn't expected before next week, Barrett is the club's preferred choice and he was interviewed on Monday night.

If he takes charge of the Bulldogs next season, it may have an influence on Harawira-Naera's decision as the 25-year-old began his playing career under Barrett at Penrith in 2014.

At the time Barrett was coach of the Panthers' under 20s team and Harawira-Naera was playing fullback in a team which included Canterbury second-rower Chris Smith and hooker Sione Katoa, Parramatta centre Waqa Blake and Penrith trio Brent Naden, James Fisher-Harris and Moses Leota.

Rival clubs are waiting on the outcome of Harawira-Naera's meeting with the Bulldogs before making any formal approach for his services and expect him to remain at Belmore.

Harawira-Naera and Okunbor are yet to play this season after having their registrations cancelled by the NRL on April 1 over the pair's involvement with school girls they met while in Port Macquarie for a pre-season trial.

Bulldogs officials were furious at the pair's behaviour, which while not illegal breached the club's and NRL's codes of conduct.

However, they were reinstated on Monday after the NRL appeals committee revised the penalty against Harawira-Naera to a 10-match ban and $15,000 fine, while Okunbor received a 14-match suspension and $22,500 fine, as well as mandatory counselling or community service.

Senior Canterbury players have said the pair would be welcomed back.

"From a playing point of view, and all the players are in agreeance, we want them back," veteran prop Aidan Tolman said.

"For us as players, if the NRL believes they have done their time and that is the penalty warranted then we want them back here and playing."

Star five-eighth Kieran Foran said: "It would be great to have them back. They have served their time. They were teammates of ours, they are team-mates of ours, so they would certainly be welcome back from my point of view."

If he stays, Harawira-Naera would be available for selection by interim coach Steve Georgallis next week but it is expected he would need longer before he is ready to play.
Who wrote this shit????

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who wrote this shit????
Don't worry Baz, even our board wouldn't pick a new coach based on their ability to attract one player.

Of course, if Barrett can attract 2 or 3 players they might fall for him hard...

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't worry Baz, even our board wouldn't pick a new coach based on their ability to attract one player.

Of course, if Barrett can attract 2 or 3 players they might fall for him hard...
Vomit button required.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'm with the Fuk CHN crew on this one. Love for him to stay but if his attitude is the way it's being depicted atm then he can fuk off.

That being said, I think we use him to get a player/s from another club in return. Sick of every other club fuking us so let's get something back for once!

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Or That time when the teams were fighting and the Morris twins were in the back ground pretending to punch on! Haha
2010 round two I think that was.

I remember watching it at a bar in Hong Kong We were torn a new arse hole that day, with barba scoring our only try.

Finished 26-6 :unamused:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm with the Fuk CHN crew on this one. Love for him to stay but if his attitude is the way it's being depicted atm then he can fuk off.

That being said, I think we use him to get a player/s from another club in return. Sick of every other club fuking us so let's get something back for once!
Agreed, lobbed at the Dogs with form and demonstrated his talent for being a cluster.. Regardless of whether we hire a bitch as a coach I dont want blokes who fuck up and then hold us to ransom. Suck it up CHN, and make it up to your team mates or fuck off..

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Agreed GD. Don’t forget that CHN was allegedly behind a lot of the unrest at Penrith at the start of last year, trouble seems to follow him wherever he goes.

Would still take him back at the moment though....