Why are people criticising Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And again, where on earth did i say i want workhorses on the bench? Bench players still nees to be able to make their tackles ffs.

Fualalo has the 2nd highest average for metres per run of any middle forward in our side, he has also broke more tackles than any of our other middle forwards. So again what is actually wrong with Fualalo? I can't see it and the stats don't point to anything majorly wrong so what is it?

500k for a bench player is stupid, simple as that. Thw only time you should have a 500k bench player is when you relegate your starter or you throw big coin to hold onto a youngster that is yet to fully develop and habdle the starting role as well as others. Simply forking out that much just for a player to add impact off the bench us crazy.

Create competition...

The top teams have excellent front rower rotations: we don’t, I don’t see what the problem with having klemmer, woods, junior paulo and a junior, let’s say talau for this instance... it not only creates competition but adds plenty of value during origin time when klemmer and woods won’t be there.

Which player doesn’t know how to tackle?? Lol... my point being is, I don’t want to see my bench players getting in the midst of doing defensive duties (yes they will) but they are there to create impact and go forward....

Finally, fualolo... I’m not saying he’s bad, I’m not pissing on him, but he’s not great, he’s average... I look at other teams squads and I don’t see him fitting in any of em, he’s average...

sviruch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Give him another season and well judge then.

Bbyss

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Give him another season and well judge then.
Absolutely
This is the roster Hasler left him
He needs to rebuild the team and long as he's not stubborn like Hasler was give player's deserve a run.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay promised us 'Dogs of War' a phrase which means something to us true Dogs fans instead he should have been more realistic and not gee us up.Last year our defense was for the majority of the season solid apart from some edge defense mishaps which led to defeats to Manly (36-0), Cowboys (30-14), Penrith (38-0) and Broncos (42-12).In 2018 all talk should be centered on our attack improvements.I'm sure most people here have plenty of patience after 5 years of Desball but so far (I'll admit it's early days) it seems we've gone half step forward and 2 steps back.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Create competition...

The top teams have excellent front rower rotations: we don’t, I don’t see what the problem with having klemmer, woods, junior paulo and a junior, let’s say talau for this instance... it not only creates competition but adds plenty of value during origin time when klemmer and woods won’t be there.

Which player doesn’t know how to tackle?? Lol... my point being is, I don’t want to see my bench players getting in the midst of just keeping momentum and doing defensive duties (yes they will tackle) but they are there to create impact and go forward....

Finally, fualolo... I’m not saying he’s bad, I’m not pissing on him, but he’s not great, he’s average... I look at other teams squads and I don’t see him fitting in any of em... mate if we are going by stats I’m sorry but that doesn’t tell me much... have you heard the story of when willie met Dessie??
Create competition? We have a shitload of money locked up in our frontrow already, we can't just careless throw it around like you want. What good did having Kas on big money off the bench do for us in the overall scheme of things? Nothing. SOO is irrelevant with the new schedule.

A frontrow rotation of Woods, Klemmer, Fualalo and Tualau should be more than enough to maintain momentum to an acceptable level in attack throughout the entire 80. And yes that's what they need to do ans that's what the coach asks of them.

This idea that you have around "impact players" isn't relevant in todays game. Yes some players make more of a impact than others in defence or attack, but that doesn't define them as an "impact player". Would Taumalolo be considered an an "impact player" if he started off the bench? Fifita? Jbrom? Merrin? Taupau?

Your best forwards in each position will start because they provide the best quality of football for the required minutes, meanwhile your bench forwards can't match the quality over those minutes and that's why they're on the bench playing less minutes. Bench forwards also more often than not come up against other bench forwards as most coaches follow the same blueprint when it comes to rotations.

All our problems atm come down to poor match fitness, lack of aggression poor defence, established players not aiming up, poor selections and poor bench rotations..our roster isn't anywhere near as bad as some people want to make out, it might not be the best but it's certainly a lot better than what we're currently showing.

And again you can't tell what Fualalo does that makes him so bad. And i'm not just using stats, i'm using what i see and stats to back up things that i see. Fualalo would makd a lot of other teams 17s, i have no doubt about that.

Malla

Reaction score
Absolutely
This is the roster Hasler left him
He needs to rebuild the team and long as he's not stubborn like Hasler was give player's deserve a run.
Exactly people need to understand this.

Plus Hasler came into the Dogs in 2012 and we were minor premiers in nsw cup and toyota cup - he had a smorgasbord of players to develop and bring on and had an opportunity to create long term sustainability ie. like the Storm, Cowboys and Penrith but what did the flop do? Back loaded a bunch of ***** and lost our juniors and our identity as a result. Even last year with players leaving he had an opportunity to invest back into the club and its juniors but we went and signed Foran and Woods. What about that Hoppa no sundays deal? lol or Brett Morris at fullback. Seriously Pay has a massive task on his hands to bring us back but I hope he does it the right way and starts from the ground up.

The last time we were successful we had a team full of guys that had been playing together for years in juniors. Side note, just had a thought imagine Dale and Jackson stayed together for the length of their careers. Such a damn shame we let Dale go. Fuck off Hasler.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No excuses. The forward pack Pay has is good or should be good. Playing Tolman Eastwood and Elliot was a big cock up. And he pulled a Hasler last week with Fine, letting him sit on the bench all game lol.

Tbh I'll give a him a chance and I'll always back the boys for a win (us by 20 this week), but he looks lost sometimes and the way he speaks in the after match presser doesn't fill me with confidence.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
In the mid 90s I was too busy partying my ass off and chasing tail to remember what Pay was like as a player. He sort of comes across as not too bright in his interviews now though so far.

To the people that knew him well from the 90s, correct me if I’m wrong. Was he an intelligent footballer as well as generally?

I wouldn’t have a clue. But everything is pointing to him being not so bright with his bench rotation so far.

We still need to give the guy time though. Bloody hell its only round 3.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m so glad you me rio
Create competition? We have a shitload of money locked up in our frontrow already, we can't just careless throw it around like you want. What good did having Kas on big money off the bench do for us in the overall scheme of things? Nothing. SOO is irrelevant with the new schedule.

A frontrow rotation of Woods, Klemmer, Fualalo and Tualau should be more than enough to maintain momentum to an acceptable level in attack throughout the entire 80. And yes that's what they need to do ans that's what the coach asks of them.

This idea that you have around "impact players" isn't relevant in todays game. Yes some players make more of a impact than others in defence or attack, but that doesn't define them as an "impact player". Would Taumalolo be considered an an "impact player" if he started off the bench? Fifita? Jbrom? Merrin? Taupau?

Your best forwards in each position will start because they provide the best quality of football for the required minutes, meanwhile your bench forwards can't match the quality over those minutes and that's why they're on the bench playing less minutes. Bench forwards also more often than not come up against other bench forwards as most coaches follow the same blueprint when it comes to rotations.

All our problems atm come down to poor match fitness, lack of aggression poor defence, established players not aiming up, poor selections and poor bench rotations..our roster isn't anywhere near as bad as some people want to make out, it might not be the best but it's certainly a lot better than what we're currently showing.

And again you can't tell what Fualalo does that makes him so bad. And i'm not just using stats, i'm using what i see and stats to back up things that i see. Fualalo would makd a lot of other teams 17s, i have no doubt about that.
I’m so glad that you mentioned kasiano!!! Because if we didn’t get rid of him I wouldn’t bother about paulo...

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He doesn’t have the team... we need to be patient with him... everyone has set their own high standards, it’s change... I believe we have one to the worst rosters in the competition... I see us competing for the spoon...
I dont agree,tigers have a worse roster but have beaten the best 2 teams,our defence is rubbish

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are people criticising Pay?

The same reason they bitch and moan for an up and coming young player to be put in first grade and when he doesn't set the world on fire within his first few games they tear him to shreds and call for his blood. So many ignorant crybabies on this forum with little understanding of how things really work. No wonder The Kennel is a laughing stock on Reddit.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont agree,tigers have a worse roster but have beaten the best 2 teams,our defence is rubbish
Tigers have an experienced coach... and have a proper six to partner Foran... we have Frawley lol... round 2, they will drop

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im neutral towards Pay. Not optimistic or pessimistic at this stage, realistically he probably has a minimum of until the end of next season to start winning games and making us competitive or the questions will start getting harder to answer for him.

Sucks that he came in and inherited a roster that he has little control over until next season, but that's the situation and he needs to deal with it.

Well, thats the realist part of me speaking.

The fan part is sitting here thinking that 2 rounds in we're in for a long season. That feeling has been driven from the expectation and fresh approach + foran. We need to start getting runs on the board soon and fast. As a fan it is hard to be emotionally invested over 26 rounds when the team is getting belted. I'll still watch every game, but thats about it.

Despite playing a tough 2 teams first up, at the moment there is no doubt we have looked where everyone expected us to be - around the 12-16th ranked side. If this continues I suspect it may end up being similar to last year where you are going in expecting a loss...

My mind is still telling me 2020 is when we will have had enough time to fix our roster issues.

Fuck.

Last edited:

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need a proper fullback, it's been the problem since 2014

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Why are people criticising Pay?

The same reason they bitch and moan for an up and coming young player to be put in first grade and when he doesn't set the world on fire within his first few games they tear him to shreds and call for his blood. So many ignorant crybabies on this forum with little understanding of how things really work. No wonder The Kennel is a laughing stock on Reddit.
What's Reddit?

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
After a catastrophic 2017 season to watch the Dogs slump to their worst start in almost 50 years is heartbreaking.In the first half East's backline rolled out of their end too easily.We all saw this,Pay recognised it, the players knew it so why wasn't it nullified in the second half ? I don't think most people are bitching just frustrated !

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Because being a ex bulldogs premiership prop...
I expected more!

He said we are going to bring mungrel, hurt players, teams will have to earn their win, put the klm in the legs and a real fit team and shirvington adding speed sessions.

I have seen none of the above.
Apart from timing of replacements , selection of Frawley,Elliot,tolman marshall fro lichha have been frustrating!

He is losing me fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.