Why are people criticising Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am assuming the people criticising Pay we’re fans of Des Hasler?? I for one was optimistic when we resigned him and clung onto hope that he would change his recruitment policies/style of play... it didn’t happen and we all know where it led to... but people need to lay off Pay, yes he has made very positive changes with the squad he has inherited... we by far have the worst bench in the competition with a halfback that would not even make bench for any other team in the comp... If anyone saw us making the eight must’ve had false hopes on a very thin squad, it will take us a good few years before we become competitive again... the player market for 2019 is very thin and there is not a lot of strike players out wide....

Two players I’d sign are junior paulo and Aiden sezer.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im patient with pay but it is disappointing how soft the defence has been especially when you see what the west tigers have done,definitely prepared to wait and see but he needs to sort this shit out

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im patient with pay but it is disappointing how soft the defence has been especially when you see what the west tigers have done,definitely prepared to wait and see but he needs to sort this shit out
He doesn’t have the team... we need to be patient with him... everyone has set their own high standards, it’s change... I believe we have one to the worst rosters in the competition... I see us competing for the spoon...

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Extremely poor defense and sub rotations can't be ignored.
Yes the defence has been poor... that’s my worry. But this can be fixed...

In terms of his rotations, we just do not have the depth on the bench to be able to make the right subs...

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

In terms of his rotations, we just do not have the depth on the bench to be able to make the right subs...
Completely disagree. We have some bloody promising forwards running around in Reserve Grade that showed good form in the trials and deserved a go. Instead we've got small guys coming off the bench at the same time and key players off at the wrong time. It's been a mess.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

We absolutely do have the players for the bench, Pay has just made the wrong selections and the timing of his rotations are puzzling.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely disagree. We have some bloody promising forwards running around in Reserve Grade that showed good form in the trials and deserved a go. Instead we've got small guys coming off the bench at the same time and key players off at the wrong time. It's been a mess.
He’s a rookie coach, he’s going to make mistakes... who you gonna put Francis talau?? Renouf toomaga?? They are not exactly setting the world on fire in lower grades...

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We absolutely do have the players for the bench, Pay has just made the wrong selections and the timing of his rotations are puzzling.
No we don’t! Jackson should move to lock, we have no quality to take his position on his edge...
our youngens in lower grades aren’t exactly setting the intrust premiership alight... all the fuss about nu brown and the bloke got sent home....

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No we don’t! Jackson should move to lock, we have no quality to take his position on his edge...
our youngens in lower grades aren’t exactly setting the intrust premiership alight... all the fuss about nu brown and the bloke got sent home....
Martin has back to back 2nd rower of the year awards in both NSW and QLD reserve grade comps. He also played well for PNG i the WC. Fine has bulked uo and has supposedly had a decent pre season. There's 2 options on the edge.

Tualau showed us last season he can perform off the bench and he done so again in the trials. Fualalo can drop back to the bench if Jackson slots into lock, again that's another player thar has done the job there before and has made a decent start to the season. To'omaga and Ogden are others that could be given a crack. Idc about overall reserve grade performances, i have seen enough from these players to tell me that they are worth giving a crack. Young forwards with physical presence while also having some pace, footwork and leg drive, exactly what you nees these days. The minutes of the bench also shouldn't be massive, at most you're asking for a 10-15 minute stint from them either side of halftime.

Overall the team needs to step up, especially established players like Klemmer and Jackson. But Pay is getting a lot wrong imo and he has totally fucked our defensive systems when an overhaul wasn't required. He promised us aggression and madness, instead we got this shit where our players don't even look match fit.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin has back to back 2nd rower of the year awards in both NSW and QLD reserve grade comps. He also played well for PNG i the WC. Fine has bulked uo and has supposedly had a decent pre season. There's 2 options on the edge.

Tualau showed us last season he can perform off the bench and he done so again in the trials. Fualalo can drop back to the bench if Jackson slots into lock, again that's another player thar has done the job there before and has made a decent start to the season. To'omaga and Ogden are others that could be given a crack. Idc about overall reserve grade performances, i have seen enough from these players to tell me that they are worth giving a crack. Young forwards with physical presence while also having some pace, footwork and leg drive, exactly what you nees these days. The minutes of the bench also shouldn't be massive, at most you're asking for a 10-15 minute stint from them either side of halftime.

Overall the team needs to step up, especially established players like Klemmer and Jackson. But Pay is getting a lot wrong imo and he has totally fucked our defensive systems when an overhaul wasn't required. He promised us aggression and madness, instead we got this shit where our players don't even look match fit.
Don’t rate fualolo at all...
I’d put talau over tolman any day of the week.. Our reserves are not the answer moving forward...

Id sign:

junior paulo
Kelepi Tanginoa

You want to put talau, toomaga, fine/Martin on the bench

Now compare the new would be bench to roosters, storm, cowboys, saints, panthers, broncos, knights even then tell me how we fair.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don’t rate fualolo at all...
I’d put talau over tolman any day of the week.. Our reserves are not the answer moving forward...

Id sign:

junior paulo
Kelepi Tanginoa

You want to put talau, toomaga, fine/Martin on the bench

Now compare the new would be bench to roosters, storm, cowboys, saints, panthers, broncos, knights even then tell me how we fair.
You don't rate Fualalo? No point in reading anymore then.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
The squad is capable. I wasn't expecting us to be flashy and score lots of points but I was expecting a well drilled unit who would work for each other. What Ive seen is embarrassing.

Malla

Reaction score
Kind of feel for Pay as he inherited a bad team on paper with a junior and reserve grade team decimated by a fuck wit coach so issues relating to personnel aren't within his control however things like our defence, bench rotation and structures he needs to be held accountable for.

He came here unproven as a first grade coach anyway so dunno why people were expecting the world from him. I mean, the bloke probably needs more media training too you can't come out and say im bringing the dogs of war back and then we see the opposite lol but either way I am happy because Des is gone.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hahahaha you’re making it out like fualolo is a superstar... he’s average at best
I'm not making him out to be a superstar, but the criticism from a small amount of people on here is puzzling. He makes good metres, reasonable play the ball speed and has decent pace and is deceptively agile. Also no major deffensive issues of yet. Would make a lot of cluvs 17s.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not making him out to be a superstar, but the criticism from a small amount of people on here is puzzling. He makes good metres, reasonable play the ball speed and has decent pace and is deceptively agile. Also no major deffensive issues of yet. Would make a lot of cluvs 17s.
So in other words he does the job... well I’m sick of players who just do the job... the bench isn’t made for players to come and do their job, it’s their to add a new dimension with intense physicality...

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am assuming the people criticising Pay we’re fans of Des Hasler?? I for one was optimistic when we resigned him and clung onto hope that he would change his recruitment policies/style of play... it didn’t happen and we all know where it led to... but people need to lay off Pay, yes he has made very positive changes with the squad he has inherited... we by far have the worst bench in the competition with a halfback that would not even make bench for any other team in the comp... If anyone saw us making the eight must’ve had false hopes on a very thin squad, it will take us a good few years before we become competitive again... the player market for 2019 is very thin and there is not a lot of strike players out wide....

Two players I’d sign are junior paulo and Aiden sezer.
I agree that we need some impact (size) off the bench. Elliott and Tolman provide nothing really. Should have both Talau and To'omaga in there somewhere and maybe Ogden also. Ogden was described as a "hit man" when we signed him. If he can come up with some hits that force turn overs or even just make us more solid in the middle he would be worth a try. Martin also deserves a shot. I'd also like to see Cleeland given a shot to partner Foran. We need a live-wire type half who will run the ball more. When we kick in general play can we actually try to kick it away from the opposing fullback instead of down his throat time after time on the full. Try a grubber now and then maybe that's harder to catch.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So in other words he does the job... well I’m sick of players who just do the job... the bench isn’t made for players to come and do their job, it’s their to add a new dimension with intense physicality...
Not at all. He does the job well and has plenty of time to continue to develop. So far he's averaging 8.3m per run, 8 runs over 8m and 4 runs under 8m per game atm. Defensively he averages 21.5 tackles and 1 missed tackle a game. He is doing well and the stats back it up so far.

Your idea of the bench is also extremely flawed. The bench isn't there to add an extra dimension, it's there to do it's job. Your guns come off and your benchies come on and it's there job to maintain momentum while the guns rest. We can have a bench that dies that, Pay has just messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.