Opinion Who would you keep of the off Contract 15 (Poll)

Who would you keep of the off Contract 15

• Renouf Atoni

Votes: 107 64.5%
  • Chris Smith

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Jayden Okunbor

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • Ofahiki Ogden

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Will Hopoate

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Sione Katoa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lachlan Lewis

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jeremy Marshall King

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Meaney

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Dylan Napa

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As at today he is absolutely the best player on the list (note, no winking emoji).

Go Dogs
in what position exactly ?

and would you retain him? seeing as that was the question not who is the best player..... and how much would you pay to retain him ..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoppa is still ok at NRL level but with his lack of pace and age his form is going to fall off a cliff at some point in the very near future. It’s the perfect time to make a change.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We should re-sign Renouf. Maybe Ogden if his fitness and his defense improves. And maybe Okunbur on a cheap deal if he recovers well from his ACL injury and looks solid.

Everyone else I'd let go as they're either not good enough or would cost too much to keep around relative to their production (like Napa, Hoppa, Meaney etc) as you could get similar production from far cheaper players with more upside.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoppa is still ok at NRL level but with his lack of pace and age his form is going to fall off a cliff at some point in the very near future. It’s the perfect time to make a change.
Spoony, I normally agree with most of what you say, but I cannot agree with that, especially if you are referring to Hoppa at centre.

2-3 years ago he was bad defending at centre.. it's going to get a lot worse.. and he just doesn't offer enough in the offence , to warrant his bad defense..

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Stimson, Britt, Smith under Pay were shocking signings, and it seems the majority of the forum agrees. I shudder to think what would've happened with our signings if the previous board had Pay stay on

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Atoni - bench
Smith - depth
Okunbor - depth
Ogden - depth
Hopoate - stop gap (until a development player is ready)
Katoa - not re-signed
Lewis - not re-signed
JMK - depth
Meaney - depth
Napa - not re-signed

Atoni only player there I'd say is a must re-sign. I still think Hopoate is very important to our team.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who would you Keep and Why ?

If i had to choose only one, it would be Atoni, i feel that he is the right style of Prop for the new rules . he is also most likely to break a game open..

Poll will only allow me to have 10..

I left Britt, Chrichton, Roumanous, Tui Katoa and Harding out of the poll, because i expect them to have the least amount of votes..
Geez thats a difficult thread you've made there

If its only one the obvious choice based on potential/output is likely Atoni/Ogden, but I cant decide based on the one trial. Then Baz would have a view based on who they want to target

The other side is what are they being replaced with?

Ie You'd keep Hop if he was alot cheaper and wasn't blocking a pathway, but i'd lean toward Oko over him as we have JAC coming.

Then again if you were looking for a quiet house cat who doesn't like contact you'd keep Meaney.

I'll go with Atoni from that list I guess but i voted Odgen lol

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stimson, Britt, Smith under Pay were shocking signings, and it seems the majority of the forum agrees. I shudder to think what would've happened with our signings if the previous board had Pay stay on
Hard. They also blamed Des for 2 years too long whilst signing 22 odd players and blaming Dib for being in a mess.
all the scrubs Parra signed would have signed for us, Hipgrave, Opicec, if we were lucky
Then resign Lewis 4yr deal, upgrade Reimis cause he had a winge, MAYBE sign one of the excess Canberra forwards on 300k too much PA
then give them all 50 games

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spoony, I normally agree with most of what you say, but I cannot agree with that, especially if you are referring to Hoppa at centre.

2-3 years ago he was bad defending at centre.. it's going to get a lot worse.. and he just doesn't offer enough in the offence , to warrant his bad defense..
Yeah I can see that for sure his defence is questionable but I guess I still see his offence as being up to NRL standard. I’m not saying his offence is great but he can make the occasional play.

My opinion could get a bit clouded on Hoppa when he’s been looking like a superstar compared to the likes of Holland and Montoya. It’s definitely time to move on after this season as he is only going to decline.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I can see that for sure his defence is questionable but I guess I still see his offence as being up to NRL standard. I’m not saying his offence is great but he can make the occasional play.

My opinion could get a bit clouded on Hoppa when he’s been looking like a superstar compared to the likes of Holland and Montoya. It’s definitely time to move on after this season as he is only going to decline.
I can acknowledge Hoppa has strengths in his game.. but what position do they suit? For mine definitely not centre...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
My take on 2022.

Contracted for 22 (14 players)

Wakeham, Allan, DWZ, Averillo, Flanagan, Cotric, Elliott, Waddell, Hethrington, Stimson, Jackson, Thompson, Doorey, RFM.

Signings so far (2)
JAC, Burton

Likely elevation top 30 (4)
Schoup, Topine, Alamoti, Dietz

Depth signings and likely re-signings (6)

Okunbur, Tui Katoa, C.Smith, JMK, Ogden, Atoni

That's a total of 26 players leaving 4 further external signings available.

You simply can't go out and sign 15 players, doesn't work that way.
That looks feasible and likely.
I can acknowledge Hoppa has strengths in his game.. but what position do they suit? For mine definitely not centre...
I wouldn't be surprised to see Baz drop him towards the back half of the season asap he realises Hoppa is too limited in what he can offer the team.

Been a good servant and arguably our best, or Top 3, for a few years.

But that only highlights how average our roster has been.

Tries hard but not the answer for a team building and needing immediate impact. He offers experience but thats all.

His centre opposition won't be too worried about experience has they run through or around him.

In another team he could maybe extend his career. Storm? Rorters?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My take on 2022.

Contracted for 22 (14 players)

Wakeham, Allan, DWZ, Averillo, Flanagan, Cotric, Elliott, Waddell, Hethrington, Stimson, Jackson, Thompson, Doorey, RFM.

Signings so far (2)
JAC, Burton

Likely elevation top 30 (4)
Schoup, Topine, Alamoti, Dietz

Depth signings and likely re-signings (6)

Okunbur, Tui Katoa, C.Smith, JMK, Ogden, Atoni

That's a total of 26 players leaving 4 further external signings available.

You simply can't go out and sign 15 players, doesn't work that way.
Only question mark is Tui and Chris Smith.

Tui needs to go to the next level this year and Chris, although a good player, if it comes as a choice between Doorey, Topine and Smith...its not Smith for me.

Depends on how many spots Baz wants held open for new players.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don't even thiiiiink about it!

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Geez thats a difficult thread you've made there

If its only one the obvious choice based on potential/output is likely Atoni/Ogden, but I cant decide based on the one trial. Then Baz would have a view based on who they want to target

The other side is what are they being replaced with?

Ie You'd keep Hop if he was alot cheaper and wasn't blocking a pathway, but i'd lean toward Oko over him as we have JAC coming.

Then again if you were looking for a quiet house cat who doesn't like contact you'd keep Meaney.

I'll go with Atoni from that list I guess but i voted Odgen lol
Lmaaooooo quiet house cat

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Renouf Atoni amd Ogden for sure i would keep. Looking forward to seeing what Barrett does with these 2. Hope he allows tnem to offload at will

And maybe Hoppa at a reduced contract. Rest we can do without

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it depends how much they are willing to re-sign for?

Atoni, Ogden, Meaney and Okunbor all need improvement but I think they will improve under Barrett so as long as they dont expect too much Id grab them for sure.
Hoppa seems to get slower every year but is an asset in defense at centre,, you'd have him mark the oppositions danger centre. I would re-sign him but again that would depend on how much he wants?

You have to remember that all the players we drop we need to find replacements for and hope we can stay under the cap.... theres not really that much talent out there that we can get and not pay overs for....

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You have to remember that all the players we drop we need to find replacements for and hope we can stay under the cap.... theres not really that much talent out there that we can get and not pay overs for....
The majority of those players listed there, I don't see how we lose too much if we promote some of our juniors.

Once JAC comes on, he and Okunbur have the wings, we're stuck with DWZ (on large money) for another year, hence why do we need Meaney?

Hoppa, we have centres coming through the ranks, chuck them in and don't forget reports of our interest in Staggs, so it is a position we are in the market for

Britt, I never ever, ever never understood this fucking signing. Was one of the worst made by Pay (after Clay Priest).

Stimson as well is so far down the pecking order now, and we've got Doorey and Topine coming through the ranks. Same goes for Chris Smith.

The rest of them are immediately replaceable.