Who would have won the proposed 1984 Super Bowl? Bulldogs or Wynnum-Manly?

Who would have won the Superbowl?

• Canterbury

Votes: 60 95.2%
  • Wynnum-Manly

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I recall a midweek cup semi final where the bulldogs narrowly lost to a combined Brisbane team. It might have been in 1984.
Perhaps a game against the respective premiership winners might have gone our way. We'll never know but it would of been an interesting concept of a game at the time.
Combined Brisbane 14 (Scott, Ribot tries, Meninga 3 goals) d Canterbury 11 (Johnstone try, Conlon 3 goals, Lamb field goal) at Lang Park. Scrums: Canterbury 10-7. Penalties: Brisbane 15-10. Crowd: 8,000. Ref: Eddie Ward.

Canterbury: 1. Mick Potter, 2. Peter Mortimer, 3. Andrew Farrar, 4. Chris Mortimer, 5. Ross Conlon, 6. Terry Lamb (c), 7. Steve Mortimer, 8. Steve Folkes, 9. Brian Battese, 10. Geoff Robinson, 11. Peter Tunks, 12. Billy Johnstone, 13. Peter Kelly. Repl.: 14. Greg Mullane (Farrar), 15. Michael Hagan (C.Mortimer), 16. David Gillespie (Robinson), 17. Darryl Brohman (Kelly).

Combined Brisbane: 1. Colin Scott, 2. Joe Kilroy, 3. Mal Meninga, 4. Gene Miles, 5. John Ribot, 6. Wally Lewis (c), 7. Henry Foster, 8. Bob Lindner, 9. Wally Fullerton-Smith, 10. Bryan Niebling, 11. Richie Poulsen, 12. Eddie Muller, 13. Bob Kellaway. Repl.: 14. Tony Currie (Scott), 16. Martin Bella (Poulsen), 17. Gavin Jones (Niebling). (15. Grant Rix not used)

So just for information purposes, I have highlighted the players from that Brisbane team who played for Wynnum-Manly. A whopping 3 of them. So the guy on the video compares a combined Brisbane with WM & thinks it would be the same result. I think he pins a lot of his hopes on what some of these players would become & not what they were in 1984.

By the way, Eddie Ward dudded us in the above game & we never tried hard in the midweek games.

Other games that were played were a couple of games against Newcastle. From 1984 (Parramatta) the GF winners played Newcastle in a challenge match up until Newcastle entered the comp in 1988. We beat Newcastle in 1986 38-8 (match on Youtube) & 28-16 in 1985.

Also we played Auckland in a type of World Club Challenge in 1988 & won 20-16 not long after the GF.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did Wally Lewis and the virtual Origin Broncos in Lang Park go in 1988 against the Dogs when the Broncos were leading and a certain Dogs player came off the bench? Who turned the match around with his first touch of the ball that led to a try in the same movement that ultimately put the Dogs back in the game and win the match? That same Dogs player who won man of that match despite playing only 20 minutes against the same "seriously good representative players throughout their team that would later form most of the Broncos team when they entered the competition in 1988."
Which team won the comp in 1988?
Here ends your lesson.
Settle down champ. Broncos were in their first year of the competition in 1988, most of their team were still quite young but they also had 5 to 6 representatives in their team but how many teams win the competition in their first season?

They won their first 6 games of that season and thrashed the previous years Premiers in Manly but ultimately didn't have the depth of other teams as it was their first year in the competition. Didn't take them long to win it though, 4 years later and then again the following year when they were more settled and in their prime.

As for us we were undoubtedly the team of the 80's having won 4 premierships in '80, 84, 85 and 88. But we went from the entertainers in 1980 under Ted Glossop to fortress like defence under Warren Ryan in '84 and 85 and then played a bit more open football again in 1988 under Phil Gould. It was a golden era for the club and they were all great teams.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Settle down champ. Broncos were in their first year of the competition in 1988, most of their team were still quite young but they also had 5 to 6 representatives in their team but how many teams win the competition in their first season?

They won their first 6 games of that season and thrashed the previous years Premiers in Manly but ultimately didn't have the depth of other teams as it was their first year in the competition. Didn't take them long to win it though, 4 years later and then again the following year when they were more settled and in their prime.

As for us we were undoubtedly the team of the 80's having won 4 premierships in '80, 84, 85 and 88. But we went from the entertainers in 1980 under Ted Glossop to fortress like defence under Warren Ryan in '84 and 85 and then played a bit more open football again in 1988 under Phil Gould. It was a golden era for the club and they were all great teams.
They never won until they got rid of Wally. That's how good he was. Another lesson for you. You just keep digging holes for yourself.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They never won until they got rid of Wally. That's how good he was. Another lesson for you. You just keep digging holes for yourself.
"Digging Holes". How juvenile are you? Did you ever see him play?

As Philistine mentioned and to anyone with half a brain will tell you he was the best Rugby League player in the '80's. He represented his state and country and all you can hang your hat on is they never won a premiership until Wally left.

You obviously have NO idea how a club develops and NO club has ever won in their first season of joining the competition but you completely ignore his record at State and National level.

Here's a bit more info for you to absorb:

Lewis is one of only a handful of players to be named a Rugby League Immortal and was one of the six inaugural members of the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame.

He achieved the greatest honour in Rugby League: the captaincy of his country, but it was his feats as Queensland skipper and playmaker in State of Origin that he achieved legendary status. He played 31 Origin games (30 as captain) and a record 8 Man of the Match awards over a 12-year period.

Here ends the Lesson!

You're Welcome.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Digging Holes". How juvenile are you? Did you ever see him play?

As Philistine mentioned and to anyone with half a brain will tell you he was the best Rugby League player in the '80's. He represented his state and country and all you can hang your hat on is they never won a premiership until Wally left.

You obviously have NO idea how a club develops and NO club has ever won in their first season of joining the competition but you completely ignore his record at State and National level.

Here's a bit more info for you to absorb:

Lewis is one of only a handful of players to be named a Rugby League Immortal and was one of the six inaugural members of the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame.

He achieved the greatest honour in Rugby League: the captaincy of his country, but it was his feats as Queensland skipper and playmaker in State of Origin that he achieved legendary status. He played 31 Origin games (30 as captain) and a record 8 Man of the Match awards over a 12-year period.

Here ends the Lesson!

You're Welcome.
Listen dropkick i know all about the acolades thrown at Wally. The immortal tag is complete crap and judged by media clowns. Broncos was stacked with ORIGIN PLAYERS FROM DAY 1. THATS A FACT. WALLY COULDN'T LEAD A STACKED ORIGIN CLUB SIDE TO A GF LET ALONE WIN A GF IN THE ARL. They had to sack him.
Wally the Best player in the 80s? What a joke. He couldn't handle playing in the ARL.
HERE ENDS ANOTHER LESSON FOR YOU. Buy another spade and keep digging that hole.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a shame that game never took place.
To be honest, I'd rather watch Parramatta from that year play that wynnum team.
Both attacking teams.
Would have been exciting to watch.
And our dogs team just stays number 1 haha

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen dropkick i know all about the acolades thrown at Wally. The immortal tag is complete crap and judged by media clowns. Broncos was stacked with ORIGIN PLAYERS FROM DAY 1. THATS A FACT. WALLY COULDN'T LEAD A STACKED ORIGIN CLUB SIDE TO A GF LET ALONE WIN A GF IN THE ARL. They had to sack him.
Wally the Best player in the 80s? What a joke. He couldn't handle playing in the ARL.
I’m not digging any holes champ you’re the one with a chip on your shoulder not me and if anyone is digging any holes that would be you.

You don’t like answering questions either but I’ll try again. If it is FACT that the Broncos were stacked with Origin players from day ONE. Name them.

You’re entitled to your opinion but even when presented with facts you still can’t accept the FACT he was one of if not the greatest Rugby League player to have ever laced up a boot.

The FACT that he was ONE of SIX to make it in the inaugural into the ARL Hall of Fame and was among a handful of players to be named a Rugby League Immortal. But that means nothing to YOU.

There were many great five eights throughout the ‘80’s including club legends Brett Kenny, outstanding player both here and in England plus our own Terry Lamb, greatest team player I’ve seen but they both took a back seat to Lewis when the Australian squad was picked.

No digging holes just FACTS!

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think I might have seen King Wally's first appearance in a "group one" match. I was visiting Brisbane in 1981 and I went to Lang Park to watch Combined Brisbane vs Newtown in the mid week cup. Meninga was the only player in the Brisbane team I had heard of, and he did nothing. Lewis, who was just starting out, played a blinder.

Newtown were leading comfortably with a few minutes to go and Brisbane scored to close it up to (I think) 23-19. Brisbane pressed hard to try to snag a win against the odds, and , when we reached the 80 minute mark the referee did not end the game. The teams played close to 10 minutes of "injury time" (there hadn't been any injuries) with Brisbane in possession and looking likely to score every play. The referee only called a halt when Brisbane lost the ball in about the 89th minute.

Since then I have only watched matches from Lang Park from the comfort of my armchair, but I don't think the refereeing has changed much.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think I might have seen King Wally's first appearance in a "group one" match. I was visiting Brisbane in 1981 and I went to Lang Park to watch Combined Brisbane vs Newtown in the mid week cup. Meninga was the only player in the Brisbane team I had heard of, and he did nothing. Lewis, who was just starting out, played a blinder.

Newtown were leading comfortably with a few minutes to go and Brisbane scored to close it up to (I think) 23-19. Brisbane pressed hard to try to snag a win against the odds, and , when we reached the 80 minute mark the referee did not end the game. The teams played close to 10 minutes of "injury time" (there hadn't been any injuries) with Brisbane in possession and looking likely to score every play. The referee only called a halt when Brisbane lost the ball in about the 89th minute.

Since then I have only watched matches from Lang Park from the comfort of my armchair, but I don't think the refereeing has changed much.
Have to love when sport was not professional haha

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
they had to change rules in the game because of our 'Dogs of War' team

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not digging any holes champ you’re the one with a chip on your shoulder not me and if anyone is digging any holes that would be you.

You don’t like answering questions either but I’ll try again. If it is FACT that the Broncos were stacked with Origin players from day ONE. Name them.

You’re entitled to your opinion but even when presented with facts you still can’t accept the FACT he was one of if not the greatest Rugby League player to have ever laced up a boot.

The FACT that he was ONE of SIX to make it in the inaugural into the ARL Hall of Fame and was among a handful of players to be named a Rugby League Immortal. But that means nothing to YOU.

There were many great five eights throughout the ‘80’s including club legends Brett Kenny, outstanding player both here and in England plus our own Terry Lamb, greatest team player I’ve seen but they both took a back seat to Lewis when the Australian squad was picked.

No digging holes just FACTS!
>"You don’t like answering questions either but I’ll try again. If it is FACT that the Broncos were stacked with Origin players from day ONE. Name them."

I've given you plenty of opportunity to learn the facts and I didn't want to embarrass you but you leave me no choice since you keep digging and going down that rabbit hole with your idol Wally.

There were 8 Broncos players of 1988 who played Origin that year or were Origin players prior to that year:
Greg Conescu, Greg Dowling, Joe Kilroy, Allan Langer, Wally Lewis, Gene Miles, Bryan Niebling, Grant Rix, Colin Scott.
Also in that team were future Origin players Michael Hancock, Chris Johns, Terry Matterson and Kerrod Walters.
This team led by your "GOAT", "King Wally" did NOT qualify for the finals and finished 7th that year.

It gets better in 1989.
There were 17 Broncos players of 1989 who played Origin that year or were Origin players prior to that year:
Greg Conescu, Greg Dowling, Michael Hancock, Chris Johns, Joe Kilroy, Allan Langer, Wally Lewis, Terry Matterson, Gene Miles, Bryan Niebling, Grant Rix, Colin Scott, Kerrod Walters, Sam Backo, Tonny Currie, Peter Jackson, Scott Tronc.
Also in that team was future Origin player Steve Renouf.
This team stacked with 17 Origin players led by your "GOAT", "King Wally" finished 5th that year and lost to Cronulla in the play offs. Let's repeat that. A Broncos side stacked with 17 Origin players led by King Wally lost to a club in the play offs that had never won a GF.

What about 1990?
There were 17 Broncos players of 1990 who played Origin that year or were Origin players prior to that year:
Greg Dowling, Michael Hancock, Chris Johns, Allan Langer, Wally Lewis, Terry Matterson, Gene Miles, Grant Rix, Kerrod Walters, Sam Backo, Tonny Currie, Peter Jackson, Scott Tronc, Willie Carne, Andrew Gee, Kevin Walters, Dale Shearer.
Also in that team was future Origin players Steve Renouf, Gavin Allen and Paul Hauff.
This team stacked with 17 Origin players led by your "GOAT", "King Wally" still could not reach the GF.

Who was coaching these teams during these years? It was supercoach Wayne Bennett who realised that after 3 years your king Wally wasn't capable of leading a Brisbane side stacked with Origin players to a GF so he sacked Wally. How many players with Origin experience were there again during Wally's years at the Broncos?
8 in 1988, 17 in 1989 and 17 in 1990.
Let that sink in. Supercoach Bennett with a team stacked of 8 to 17 Origin players led by your "King" Wally could not even reach a GF. It wasn't until Bennett saw the light and sacked Lewis that the Broncos finally won a GF. The Broncos "GOAT" isn't your "King" Wally, it's Allan Langer.

Result: Egg on your face, foot in your mouth and you eat humble pie for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

What this shows is that you are just a sheep that jumps on the bandwagon that I talked about earlier because the media pump up the Wally fantasy. You cannot think for yourself, you don't even know the evidence and the facts. You are just a parrot repeating the opinions of the biased media and you've embarrassed yourself on TK with your Wally idol worship.

You refer to Wally's MOM at Origin and national teams. What it shows is that Wally needs an ENTIRE TEAM of rep players around him to win a MOM award from the media caught up in Wally idol hysteria.

You claimed that anyone with a brain "knows Wally was the best player of the 80's". It shows your ignorance and you are just full of Wally Lewis fantasy. The "best player" of the 80's by a country mile was Steve Mortimer. 6 GF appearances for 4 GF wins, first man to captain NSW to Origin series win. He was head and shoulders above all other halfbacks in the greatest decade of halfbacks. I don't say that because I'm a Dogs fan, I say that because I was a Tigers and Jets fan at the time until I saw the great man play in the 70's and saw him do things on the field that no other player could do and Wally Lewis could only dream of. I've been a Dogs fan ever since.

The only other players that could be in the conversation as the "best player" of the 80's would be Lamb, Sterlo and Brett Kenny. If I was looking for a player to lead a team to a premiership and win matches week in week out I'll take Turvey and any of those 3 players over Wally every day of the week.

>"The FACT that he was ONE of SIX to make it in the inaugural into the ARL Hall of Fame and was among a handful of players to be named a Rugby League Immortal. But that means nothing to YOU."
Again your "evidence" is the opinions of so called "experts". The "Rugby League Immortal" is a load of rubbish. It has links to a promotional idea by Penfolds Wine who sponsored St George at the time. 3 Dragons named as "Immortals". No surprise. No Bulldogs named as Immortals. No surprise. Does that mean Bulldogs players are too shite to be named as an "Immortal"? If the "Immortals" label had any credibility Mortimer, Lamb, Sterlo, Kenny and Langer would have been named before Wally.

It is telling that the only other person to post your Wally idol worship is some guy who calls himself "philistine". That speaks for itself.

Here ends your final lesson and my time doesn't come free. When you finish digging that rabbit hole of yours bring your spade to my place and dig a 20 metre drainage trench in the backyard for me. I'll take that as payment for your lesson. Now that the stats and the facts are posted for all to see on TK I'm not going to waste any more of my time responding to your Wally Lewis fantasy.

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When it comes down to it, Wynnum-Manly never played against the best defense in the world.

Sorry, but there's no way they could've beaten us.