Who would have won the proposed 1984 Super Bowl? Bulldogs or Wynnum-Manly?

Who would have won the Superbowl?

• Canterbury

Votes: 60 95.2%
  • Wynnum-Manly

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wally Lewis is the most overrated player in the ARL. Broncos never even made a GF when he played for them even with that team stacked full of Origin and test players. The "King" Wally mystique was all hype just to build up the Origin concept.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bennett at the broncos didn’t rate him as a captain or player. Had a mate who played at the seagulls when Lewis was coach and from reports he suffered from FIGJAM syndrome.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wally Lewis is the most overrated player in the ARL. Broncos never even made a GF when he played for them even with that team stacked full of Origin and test players. The "King" Wally mystique was all hype just to build up the Origin concept.
The Broncos came into the competition in 1988 and immediately set about assembling a very strong squad, but most of them were young blokes, and they didn't peak until about 1992-1993 (both premiership years) by which time Lewis was gone. The fairest way to assess his contribution is to examine his performances in Origin. He was man of the match a staggering eight times in origin games, and, because MOM always goes to a member of the winning team, he was arguably the best player on the field in another half dozen games that Queensland lost. Origin is the pinnacle of our game, and no other player even goes close to these numbers.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt Lewis was a proven SOO player thru the 80’s but struggled with the transition from QRL to the weekly grind of NRL and was coming towards the end of his career when the broncos kicked off.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall a midweek cup semi final where the bulldogs narrowly lost to a combined Brisbane team. It might have been in 1984.
Perhaps a game against the respective premiership winners might have gone our way. We'll never know but it would of been an interesting concept of a game at the time.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Broncos came into the competition in 1988 and immediately set about assembling a very strong squad, but most of them were young blokes, and they didn't peak until about 1992-1993 (both premiership years) by which time Lewis was gone. The fairest way to assess his contribution is to examine his performances in Origin. He was man of the match a staggering eight times in origin games, and, because MOM always goes to a member of the winning team, he was arguably the best player on the field in another half dozen games that Queensland lost. Origin is the pinnacle of our game, and no other player even goes close to these numbers.
>"He was man of the match a staggering eight times in origin game"
It has minimal meaning when the media cherry picks its favourites, puts them on a pedestal and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy in terms of MOM and reputation. I watched all the Origin matches in the 80's and sure he was good at Origin but it was grossly exaggerated. For eg Lewis would pass the ball and 10 passes later someone scores and the commentator big Darrell Eastlake goes "it was WALLY LEWIS magic again". Never mind it was someone else who threw the money ball or someone else who did the big fend and ran through several players the try was all because of Wally.
>"most of them were young blokes, and they didn't peak until about 1992-1993 (both premiership years) by which time Lewis was gone."
this is a sample of players who were the Broncos when Wally was there between 88 to 91. Are you seriously saying the majority of them were rookies then?
Colin Scott, Joe Kilroy, Chris Johns, Gene Miles, Michael Hancock, Allan Langer, Terry Matterson, Greg Dowling, Greg Conescu,
Bryan Niebling, Billy Noke, Kerrod Walters, Sam Backo, Tony Currie, Andrew Gee, Steve Renouf, Peter Jackson, Scott Tronc, Dale Shearer, Kevin Walters, Alan Cann, Willie Carne ,Trevor Gillmeister ,Julian O'Neill

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well this is going to be a landslide result to the Bulldogs. I mean this is The Kennel after all.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who remember the Amco Cup which was played on Wednesday nights each week back in the '70's and '80's, it was played in 20 minute quarters and had most if not all the teams in the 1st grade ARL comp at the time, there were only around 10 but they also included a few teams from Queensland and one of them was Combined Brisbane.

I remember we came up against Combined Brisbane and thought, how easy is this going to be. It was the first time I'd seen Wally Lewis in action and he single handedly rang rings around our team. He wasn't called the king for no reason.

Combined Brisbane had a tap from a penalty given to them that had them 15 to 20m from our line. Lewis came rushing in to take the ball, tapped it and feigned to throw it long to his right only for our players to take the bait and he turned quickly back to his left and planted the ball on the chest of their winger John Ribot to score untouched and brought it around under the sticks. As good as our squad was they had seriously good representative players throughout their team that would later form most of the Broncos team when they entered the competition in 1988.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only time I every supported Lewis was when he was wearing the Green and Gold for Australia. He was public enemy number one for any Blues fan but was the reason why Queensland won more than lost with him in their team.

He was without doubt the best player in the game at that time, game has changed a lot since then but he could read 2 or 3 plays ahead, was fearless in defence and so strong when he had the ball in his hand.

He was that good that you couldn't feel anything but hatred for him as he also put it up the Blues, he like so many of the great players could get away with a lot more as they knew how far to go without giving away a penalty, like crowding the attacker trying to play the ball, allowing his team mates to get back on side, he was in your face, just ask Mark Geyer and even the referees copped many a spray off him, would've like to have seen how he got on with those antics in todays game and the lowest act I saw from him was spitting at opposing players and got away with it as there was nowhere near the coverage we see these days on TV.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who remember the Amco Cup which was played on Wednesday nights each week back in the '70's and '80's, it was played in 20 minute quarters and had most if not all the teams in the 1st grade ARL comp at the time, there were only around 10 but they also included a few teams from Queensland and one of them was Combined Brisbane.

I remember we came up against Combined Brisbane and thought, how easy is this going to be. It was the first time I'd seen Wally Lewis in action and he single handedly rang rings around our team. He wasn't called the king for no reason.

Combined Brisbane had a tap from a penalty given to them that had them 15 to 20m from our line. Lewis came rushing in to take the ball, tapped it and feigned to throw it long to his right only for our players to take the bait and he turned quickly back to his left and planted the ball on the chest of their winger John Ribot to score untouched and brought it around under the sticks. As good as our squad was they had seriously good representative players throughout their team that would later form most of the Broncos team when they entered the competition in 1988.
How did Wally Lewis and the virtual Origin Broncos in Lang Park go in 1988 against the Dogs when the Broncos were leading and a certain Dogs player came off the bench? Who turned the match around with his first touch of the ball that led to a try in the same movement that ultimately put the Dogs back in the game and win the match? That same Dogs player who won man of that match despite playing only 20 minutes against the same "seriously good representative players throughout their team that would later form most of the Broncos team when they entered the competition in 1988."
Which team won the comp in 1988?
Here ends your lesson.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Having watchd all of Wally's Origin games, I (& everyone I spoke to) often wondered how Wally won MOTM. I think the judges had a love fest for him.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having watchd all of Wally's Origin games, I (& everyone I spoke to) often wondered how Wally won MOTM. I think the judges had a love fest for him.
100% spot on. All the sheep just jumped on the bandwagon having orgasms over Wally while those that had a brain that could think for themselves could see what was going on. Origin needed a villain in NSW and a hero in QLD to keep the concept alive so Wally became the chosen one.