Who would have won the proposed 1984 Super Bowl? Bulldogs or Wynnum-Manly?

Who would have won the Superbowl?

• Canterbury

Votes: 60 95.2%
  • Wynnum-Manly

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It is telling that the only other person to post your Wally idol worship is some guy who calls himself "philistine". That speaks for itself.
My first thought on reading this was "is this guy six years old or something?" Surely no adult would make smartarse remarks about the kennel name of another kennel member to try to support his war of words with a third member.

I have previously posted that I think King Wally is the best player I have seen. This is strictly my opinion. I do not attempt to prove it because it cannot be proved. Nor can it be disproved, despite your valiant efforts to do so.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first thought on reading this was "is this guy six years old or something?" Surely no adult would make smartarse remarks about the kennel name of another kennel member to try to support his war of words with a third member.

I have previously posted that I think King Wally is the best player I have seen. This is strictly my opinion. I do not attempt to prove it because it cannot be proved. Nor can it be disproved, despite your valiant efforts to do so.
It's not a smart arse comment. Its a factual observation and there must be a reason why you have named yourself as such which only you would know.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It is telling that the only person to post an anti-Wally diatribe is some guy who calls himself "bulldogsmyte". That speaks for itself.

Except that it doesn't speak for itself. Your comment implies that there has to be some dark and sinister reason why I would adopt the pen name of "Philistine" without actually saying what it is. And, by extension, anyone who takes such a hokey name must obviously be on the wrong side of the debate.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is telling that the only person to post an anti-Wally diatribe is some guy who calls himself "bulldogsmyte". That speaks for itself.

Except that it doesn't speak for itself. Your comment implies that there has to be some dark and sinister reason why I would adopt the pen name of "Philistine" without actually saying what it is. And, by extension, anyone who takes such a hokey name must obviously be on the wrong side of the debate.
That's all you can come up with after you have been confronted with the facts and the track record of your GOAT in a team stacked with 8 to 17 Origin players in the ARL and coached by the man considered to be the GOAT of coaches?
Forgot to add Wally's record in 91 and 92 when he joined Gold Coast. Wally won them their first ever wooden spoon in 91 and repeated that in 92.
All you have are lame excuses and your fellow Wally idol buddy is in complete silence after being presented with the facts.
Case closed.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's all you can come up with after you have been confronted with the facts and the track record of your GOAT in a team stacked with 8 to 17 Origin players in the ARL and coached by the man considered to be the GOAT of coaches?
Forgot to add Wally's record in 91 and 92 when he joined Gold Coast. Wally won them their first ever wooden spoon in 91 and repeated that in 92.
All you have are lame excuses and your fellow Wally idol buddy is in complete silence after being presented with the facts.
Case closed.
If you want to believe that Brisbane should have won three premierships in 1988 to 1990, and were only prevented from doing so by the sheer incompetence of Wally Lewis. that is your right. But I have no interest in debating such a preposterous notion with you. I was actually objecting to the way you had a gratuitous whack at me over my choice of pen name.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to believe that Brisbane should have won three premierships in 1988 to 1990, and were only prevented from doing so by the sheer incompetence of Wally Lewis. that is your right. But I have no interest in debating such a preposterous notion with you. I was actually objecting to the way you had a gratuitous whack at me over my choice of pen name.
>"If you want to believe that Brisbane should have won three premierships in 1988 to 1990, and were only prevented from doing so by the sheer incompetence of Wally Lewis."
Why don't you ask supercoach Wayne Bennett for his opinion on what they should have achieved during those 3 years?

>"I was actually objecting to the way you had a gratuitous whack at me over my choice of pen name"
And you had a gratuitous whack at me over my pen name so what's the point?
You can't handle the fact your GOAT's ARL record is 3 years with no GF appearance in a side stacked ANNUALLY between 8 to 17 Origin players and then 2 years winning the wooden spoon twice (including an historical inaugural wooden spoon) for his next club? That is one hell of a record.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
>"You don’t like answering questions either but I’ll try again. If it is FACT that the Broncos were stacked with Origin players from day ONE. Name them."

I've given you plenty of opportunity to learn the facts and I didn't want to embarrass you but you leave me no choice since you keep digging and going down that rabbit hole with your idol Wally.

There were 8 Broncos players of 1988 who played Origin that year or were Origin players prior to that year:
Greg Conescu, Greg Dowling, Joe Kilroy, Allan Langer, Wally Lewis, Gene Miles, Bryan Niebling, Grant Rix, Colin Scott.
Also in that team were future Origin players Michael Hancock, Chris Johns, Terry Matterson and Kerrod Walters.
This team led by your "GOAT", "King Wally" did NOT qualify for the finals and finished 7th that year.

It gets better in 1989.
There were 17 Broncos players of 1989 who played Origin that year or were Origin players prior to that year:
Greg Conescu, Greg Dowling, Michael Hancock, Chris Johns, Joe Kilroy, Allan Langer, Wally Lewis, Terry Matterson, Gene Miles, Bryan Niebling, Grant Rix, Colin Scott, Kerrod Walters, Sam Backo, Tonny Currie, Peter Jackson, Scott Tronc.
Also in that team was future Origin player Steve Renouf.
This team stacked with 17 Origin players led by your "GOAT", "King Wally" finished 5th that year and lost to Cronulla in the play offs. Let's repeat that. A Broncos side stacked with 17 Origin players led by King Wally lost to a club in the play offs that had never won a GF.

What about 1990?
There were 17 Broncos players of 1990 who played Origin that year or were Origin players prior to that year:
Greg Dowling, Michael Hancock, Chris Johns, Allan Langer, Wally Lewis, Terry Matterson, Gene Miles, Grant Rix, Kerrod Walters, Sam Backo, Tonny Currie, Peter Jackson, Scott Tronc, Willie Carne, Andrew Gee, Kevin Walters, Dale Shearer.
Also in that team was future Origin players Steve Renouf, Gavin Allen and Paul Hauff.
This team stacked with 17 Origin players led by your "GOAT", "King Wally" still could not reach the GF.

Who was coaching these teams during these years? It was supercoach Wayne Bennett who realised that after 3 years your king Wally wasn't capable of leading a Brisbane side stacked with Origin players to a GF so he sacked Wally. How many players with Origin experience were there again during Wally's years at the Broncos?
8 in 1988, 17 in 1989 and 17 in 1990.
Let that sink in. Supercoach Bennett with a team stacked of 8 to 17 Origin players led by your "King" Wally could not even reach a GF. It wasn't until Bennett saw the light and sacked Lewis that the Broncos finally won a GF. The Broncos "GOAT" isn't your "King" Wally, it's Allan Langer.

Result: Egg on your face, foot in your mouth and you eat humble pie for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

What this shows is that you are just a sheep that jumps on the bandwagon that I talked about earlier because the media pump up the Wally fantasy. You cannot think for yourself, you don't even know the evidence and the facts. You are just a parrot repeating the opinions of the biased media and you've embarrassed yourself on TK with your Wally idol worship.

You refer to Wally's MOM at Origin and national teams. What it shows is that Wally needs an ENTIRE TEAM of rep players around him to win a MOM award from the media caught up in Wally idol hysteria.

You claimed that anyone with a brain "knows Wally was the best player of the 80's". It shows your ignorance and you are just full of Wally Lewis fantasy. The "best player" of the 80's by a country mile was Steve Mortimer. 6 GF appearances for 4 GF wins, first man to captain NSW to Origin series win. He was head and shoulders above all other halfbacks in the greatest decade of halfbacks. I don't say that because I'm a Dogs fan, I say that because I was a Tigers and Jets fan at the time until I saw the great man play in the 70's and saw him do things on the field that no other player could do and Wally Lewis could only dream of. I've been a Dogs fan ever since.

The only other players that could be in the conversation as the "best player" of the 80's would be Lamb, Sterlo and Brett Kenny. If I was looking for a player to lead a team to a premiership and win matches week in week out I'll take Turvey and any of those 3 players over Wally every day of the week.

>"The FACT that he was ONE of SIX to make it in the inaugural into the ARL Hall of Fame and was among a handful of players to be named a Rugby League Immortal. But that means nothing to YOU."
Again your "evidence" is the opinions of so called "experts". The "Rugby League Immortal" is a load of rubbish. It has links to a promotional idea by Penfolds Wine who sponsored St George at the time. 3 Dragons named as "Immortals". No surprise. No Bulldogs named as Immortals. No surprise. Does that mean Bulldogs players are too shite to be named as an "Immortal"? If the "Immortals" label had any credibility Mortimer, Lamb, Sterlo, Kenny and Langer would have been named before Wally.

It is telling that the only other person to post your Wally idol worship is some guy who calls himself "philistine". That speaks for itself.

Here ends your final lesson and my time doesn't come free. When you finish digging that rabbit hole of yours bring your spade to my place and dig a 20 metre drainage trench in the backyard for me. I'll take that as payment for your lesson. Now that the stats and the facts are posted for all to see on TK I'm not going to waste any more of my time responding to your Wally Lewis fantasy.
WOW!

You really do have more than a chip on your shoulder.

Thanks for posting War And Peace but how about we just agree to disagree.

You continue to dismiss the FACTS that I've put forward and base your argument solely on "He never won a premiership for the Broncos".

Obviously you don't like the guy and I'm not a fan of his either as I've always been a Bulldog, Blues and Kangaroos supporter. So in other words I've watched a lot of Rugby League since the mid '70's and admire and respect anyone who displays champion qualities whether they played for the Dogs or any other ARL/NRL Club, State or Country.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why don't you ask supercoach Wayne Bennett for his opinion on what they should have achieved during those 3 years?
When Lewis's contract came up for renewal in 1990, he was past his best, and this was reflected in the offer he got from Bennett. Gold Coast was then a brand new team, who were prepared to pay overs, much like Redcliffe now, and Wally took the money. Bennett didn't sack him.

Also, Bennett is a good coach but a long way short of being a supercoach. Every FG team Bennett has coached, except Newcastle, has had a roster to compete for a premiership. A super coach takes an average team and turns them into premiership contenders - someone like Warren Ryan! In Brisbane's case, you could argue that they should have won even more premierships with the playing groups they have had.

A few comments about Lewis cut and pasted from Wikipedia. Your own pick for G.O.A.T. (Turvey) is in there.
  • "Lewis has to be number one because he’s the only bloke who dominated the game at the highest level, in State of Origin, over a long period."[34] Ray Warren, Australian sports commentator
  • "Certainly he's the best I've ever seen in the rugby codes, and my memory goes back to Raper and Gasnier, Catchpole and Hawthorne."[35] Peter Meares, Australian sports commentator and writer.
  • "Lewis is the greatest player at representative level I've seen – and I've seen some great players, I was there when Gas and Chook were at the end of their careers."[36] Arthur Beetson, Australian former national team coach
  • "...all great players, but I haven't seen anyone step past or ahead of Wally Lewis. You've got the right bloke in at No. 1."[37] Steve Mortimer, former New South Wales captain.
  • "For what it is worth, I rate him as the best footballer I ever laid eyes on."[38] Bill Harrigan, leading referee
  • "I've got to say here and now Wally is the greatest footballer I've seen, and all those great players knew that Wally was the greatest."[39] George Lovejoy, Queensland rugby league commentator

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW!

You really do have more than a chip on your shoulder.

Thanks for posting War And Peace but how about we just agree to disagree.

You continue to dismiss the FACTS that I've put forward and base your argument solely on "He never won a premiership for the Broncos".

Obviously you don't like the guy and I'm not a fan of his either as I've always been a Bulldog, Blues and Kangaroos supporter. So in other words I've watched a lot of Rugby League since the mid '70's and admire and respect anyone who displays champion qualities whether they played for the Dogs or any other ARL/NRL Club, State or Country.
You've now been given the facts.
Not only did your GOAT fail to even make a GF with an entire side of Origin players (17) in 89 and 90 the next year he went to Gold Coast and won them their first wooden spoon and backed it up the next year with another wooden spoon.
I have nothing against Wally but my statement of him being the most overrated player in the ARL is backed up by the cold hard facts. Your statement implying the Broncos were a bunch of rookies finding their feet when they entered the comp is a bogus excuse and completely fake. They were a rep quality team from day one and a virtual Origin team in years 2 and 3.
Egg on face, foot in mouth and humble pie for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The end.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Lewis's contract came up for renewal in 1990, he was past his best, and this was reflected in the offer he got from Bennett. Gold Coast was then a brand new team, who were prepared to pay overs, much like Redcliffe now, and Wally took the money. Bennett didn't sack him.

Also, Bennett is a good coach but a long way short of being a supercoach. Every FG team Bennett has coached, except Newcastle, has had a roster to compete for a premiership. A super coach takes an average team and turns them into premiership contenders - someone like Warren Ryan! In Brisbane's case, you could argue that they should have won even more premierships with the playing groups they have had.

A few comments about Lewis cut and pasted from Wikipedia. Your own pick for G.O.A.T. (Turvey) is in there.
  • "Lewis has to be number one because he’s the only bloke who dominated the game at the highest level, in State of Origin, over a long period."[34] Ray Warren, Australian sports commentator
  • "Certainly he's the best I've ever seen in the rugby codes, and my memory goes back to Raper and Gasnier, Catchpole and Hawthorne."[35] Peter Meares, Australian sports commentator and writer.
  • "Lewis is the greatest player at representative level I've seen – and I've seen some great players, I was there when Gas and Chook were at the end of their careers."[36] Arthur Beetson, Australian former national team coach
  • "...all great players, but I haven't seen anyone step past or ahead of Wally Lewis. You've got the right bloke in at No. 1."[37] Steve Mortimer, former New South Wales captain.
  • "For what it is worth, I rate him as the best footballer I ever laid eyes on."[38] Bill Harrigan, leading referee
  • "I've got to say here and now Wally is the greatest footballer I've seen, and all those great players knew that Wally was the greatest."[39] George Lovejoy, Queensland rugby league commentator
It's Turvey being humble and a gentleman. The others are just part of the bandwagon.
"There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it." - William James, father of American psychology.

Last edited:

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's Turvey being humble and a gentleman. The others are just part of the bandwagon.
"There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it." - William James, father of American psychology.
Great quote to highlight how absurd your opinion is but you're entitled to that opinion no matter how naive they are.

You've kept posting the same rubbish over and over again and leave out most of his career to then say he was a myth when anyone who saw him play says otherwise.

So you're right and everyone else is wrong.

But you did get one thing right. William James is right, you're proof of that.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great quote to highlight how absurd your opinion is but you're entitled to that opinion no matter how naive they are.

You've kept posting the same rubbish over and over again and leave out most of his career to then say he was a myth when anyone who saw him play says otherwise.

So you're right and everyone else is wrong.

But you did get one thing right. William James is right, you're proof of that.
Shows how stupid you are. Your argument is "but other people say that" which proves my point. You just jump on the bandwagon being the sheep you are and that is what the William James statement was about. You don't have the intellect to understand that.
You also don't mention the fake stats you posted about the Broncos. Fact is you were wrong and I was right.