Who will be our 2015 Fullback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I don't think Des will go with Perrett again at 1. He has some more speedy options now and it is obvious we need more strike from the back.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Rona isn't all that fast. Powerful runner, but not a speedster. No faster than Brown I reckon.

Most of his first grade tries have just been catch and pass/catch and grab tries right on the line.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Des throughout his career as a coach has show he doesn't drop players for playing decently.

Thompson and Perrett will be in the starting side, and have done nothing to warrant being dropped.

Perrett is solid and dependable and before getting moved to fullback in 2014, had career best form on the wing in 2013, scoring 18 tries (double any of his previous years).
Thompson was signed for one year, despite all the players we have recruited. He has shown growth and maturity for a brilliant debut season, and Des will reward him for that (and his positive attitude).

It will be up to the new recruits (except Morris) to fight their way into first grade.

Rona has already acknowledged in pre-season interviews this year that it is up to him to fight his way into a first grade spot.

Rona, Loko, McInally will all shoot it out in NSW Cup for a spot.

Worth noting too that Nines and trials will give us all an indication.
Your right, I expect Thomson to start the year in FG BUT Rona won't be sidelined long. Big strong powerful winger who can finish and start tries will give Des no choice. It will be similar for Loko but he has a tougher chance getting in as our centres are strong. Atleast SOO time we will have the troops and almost be strengthening the team. Perrett will keep his spot as reward for his mighty efforts of last year but might come close to being retired at the end of next season to accommodate the new boys.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I would personally like to see something different at fullback this year. In my opinion Perrett is not the answer and we would get more value with a jmoz, BMoz combo on the edge. So with Bmoz and Perret on the wings it leaves Rona and Thompson at fullback. I would personally prefer Rona for his size and footwork.
In any event I feel Perrett may start the season somewhere in the starting 13 but may not finish the season there aka nathan Merritt

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I think Rona was signed being told that he will get the spot if we don't sign Morris otherwise he will be first choice backup and will be trained up as a fullback winger when Perrett retires.
Where are you getting this info? Rona was signed before rnd 13. We're we chasing Morris that early?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Where are you getting this info? Rona was signed before rnd 13. We're we chasing Morris that early?
From what I heard we've been chasing Morris all season but I don't think we made an offer until the end of the season.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was reported that we would signed someone during origin from the NSW side. No one said who Brett Frinch said it but wouldn't say who.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You lot are kiddin yourselves if you think Thompson is ahead of Rona. As much as i like Corey, he will be nothing more than a depth player this year. It is obvious he is not in Des' plans.

JAYDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Rona has to be ahead of thomo! As much as i like him we can not carry 2 small outside backs in him & perrett..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would personally like to see something different at fullback this year. In my opinion Perrett is not the answer and we would get more value with a jmoz, BMoz combo on the edge. So with Bmoz and Perret on the wings it leaves Rona and Thompson at fullback. I would personally prefer Rona for his size and footwork.
In any event I feel Perrett may start the season somewhere in the starting 13 but may not finish the season there aka nathan Merritt
I totally agree,i think out of loyalty des will pick perret then thommo and mcnally will be fighting it out for perrets spot,i think mcnally will be a real find ,rona is a future star he has to have the other spot

JAYDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We struggled for points most of the year! Geez id like to play souths again with an added morris & rona

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
So Rona has been training at fullback/wing along with Perrett. Apparently Des is very impressed with McInally and there is a chance he will start on the wing or will be pushing to have one wing spot early in the season.
So it seems the only one who is assured a spot somewhere in the back 3 is Bmoz

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Rona has been training at fullback/wing along with Perrett. Apparently Des is very impressed with McInally and there is a chance he will start on the wing or will be pushing to have one wing spot early in the season.
That makes sense. The incumbents always are in the discussion and our recruits are more talented. Des just has to decide if their talent makes them better or not

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Most the squad is not back training yet though, ill probs go to a couple sessions in the new year and see how things are shaping up. I really do think Brett is a much better winger than fullback, though i am starting to think most of his talent may be wasted on the wing with the current service our wingers get. You know if Frawley is training yet?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Morris played 30 games for merge at fullback and was great there.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Morris played 30 games for merge at fullback and was great there.
Was it really that many?

i remember him being exceptional with the ball in his hands but struggling to set up his outside men and being poor defensively in regard to his positioning. I just don't see what he offers at fullback that he doesn't already on the wing. Would love to be proven wrong though.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Was it really that many?

i remember him being exceptional with the ball in his hands but struggling to set up his outside men and being poor defensively in regard to his positioning. I just don't see what he offers at fullback that he doesn't already on the wing. Would love to be proven wrong though.
He was pretty average at fullback. But i think he will be wasted on the wing for us.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rona isn't all that fast. Powerful runner, but not a speedster. No faster than Brown I reckon.

Most of his first grade tries have just been catch and pass/catch and grab tries right on the line.
I remember earlier this year he ran down Beale from the dragons when he had to turn and chase and Beale had 10m on him
Decently fast if you ask me

Status
Not open for further replies.