Who to replace JO & CHN?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Welch and James both have had numerous ACL injuries over the past few seasons so should be avoided despite them both being good players when fit.

I like Connor Watson but does he have a position? He struggles to organise as a half. He looks his best at hooker to be honest.

Molo is an animal and would be a good signing if cheap enough. Rapana would be too old. Addo Carr would want too much for a winger and will probably end up at Souths.
Watson is a 1/6/9/14. It depends on the make up of the team. I think his best position is 14 tho. I've just seen him performing better coming off the bench against tired defence.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Watson is a 1/6/9/14. It depends on the make up of the team. I think his best position is 14 tho. I've just seen him performing better coming off the bench against tired defence.
I agree. But whoever signs him on decent money isn't going to play him off the bench and he probably wouldn't be happy doing so.

If he agreed to come off the bench and play the last 50 minutes at hooker then he'd be the best utility in the comp.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Welch and James both have had numerous ACL injuries over the past few seasons so should be avoided despite them both being good players when fit.

I like Connor Watson but does he have a position? He always looks lost in the halves and he struggles to organise. He looks his best at hooker to be honest.

Molo is an animal and would be a good signing if cheap enough. Rapana would be too old. Addo Carr would want too much for a winger and will probably end up at Souths.
I watched a bit of Watson last year when he had a handful of games at 9, he looked really good to me. Good service, speed out of the ruck and solid in defense

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Enough of the "the club should / shouldn't have done this"

Let's talk about who we can replace them with as we've now got a largish whole in our salary cap, no? Does anyone know what numbers we could potentially be playing with now? Not for 2021, but immediately.

Surely we'll go after that lad playing in Japan? That Rapana guy?

What about a second rower. Anyone handy out there to be picked up straight away?

We've also got that 350k set aside from Foran's injury. Gotta imagine that we'll go out searching in the coming weeks?
I think will sign Josh addo Carr, David fafita and Hastings/ Sezer. I feel like we need a strong 5/8 to help Wakeham. Hastings is my pick.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think will sign Josh addo Carr, David fafita and Hastings/ Sezer. I feel like we need a strong 5/8 to help Wakeham. Hastings is my pick.
And we do what with Averillo?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jake Friend is the only hooker off contract that we have a small chance in signing. At this stage it looks like we're going to be stuck with JMK and Katoa. Storm have loaned Harry Grant to get him back and if that changes he's most likely signing with the Tigers now. Hopefully we're able to get someone still on contract that's decent...
Anything can happen in Rugby league..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Smith, Mahoney and Friend would probably be my top targets right now, we need a hooker asap.

Cotric and To'o would be the next two I'd be looking at, both powerful runners with high involvement that can break open the defence.

1. ???
2. DWZ/To'o
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric/Harper
5. Smith

Fifita would then be my third target, CHN gone, Sue off contract, Elliott off contract...that gives us the funds to recruit Fifita though I'm not sure if that's the best use of money.

Tamou is another I might be tempted by but I guess it depends on $$$ and what the rest of the side looks at.

From here on we're left to pickup youngsters or players looking to establish themselves like Sailor, Metcalf, Molo, Wright, Hopoates, etc.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's what frustrates me about this season for our club. Those games and minutes that guys like Wakeham, Averillo, Renouf etc would have had to develop in FG were priceless and now their development and all the kids in the lower grades has stagnated massively.

I agree with you, the more experienced teams and players will be able to adapt to not having played in months more easily than the younger players and teams.
All clubs will suffer somewhat, but given how young and inexperienced our squad is, i think we will suffer more then most. Its a pretty shit situation.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nathan Friend or nathaiel roache 9
Welch 10
Addo carr 2
Rapana 5
Would be a good start

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The last thing we needed was more cap space. We already had millions to spend in 2021 with no one to realistically spend it on. Who knows if we'll even be able to take advantage of it next year or what the
Why would rep players choose our club over anyone else? We just had one of our top 5 players de-registered and have a coach who has a 35% win percentage with the worst attack in the comp in over two years.. We just lost our only attacking 2nd rower who threw offloads..

Our only hope is that our juniors flourish or we sign young talent from other clubs but that just means more years of rebuilding.

The only way we'll take advantage of our cap space is if they reduce the cap by percentage and so many players are screwed over with their salaries that they'll be forced to sign with teams like ours who have space.
We have a stack of 2nd rowers they just need to put there hand up for the position and okonbur isn’t a loss.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Like who? Stimson?
I'd put RFM in there until the end of the season and see how he goes. In theory that's his best position (pretty similar to CHN tbh). There are other players we need that are "available" before we sign David Fifita imo (backs, hooker, halves - not a lot of options but there are some). Also David Fifita would be the most expensive player we could bring in.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't believe it...
Some people still want rejects
Some people still want to risk buying expensive players to play them in the wrong positions
Haven't we learnt ?
Haven't we had enough ?
I am a believer...If you want to do it do it right !!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can't believe it...
Some people still want rejects
Some people still want to risk buying expensive players to play them in the wrong positions
Haven't we learnt ?
Haven't we had enough ?
I am a believer...If you want to do it do it right !!!
Who do you want to sign then? What category of players? You do realise the best top talent coming through is expensive too right? (and people say that's risky too) If you want to develop players you do that on the side and we've already been doing that... after that rejects and "expensive players" - good players that won't join a struggling club for what they're worth are all that are left. We've already picked up our fair share of opportunist players and we're a bottom four side. We need better. Add JAC, Cotric, Milford and Friend (or players alike) to go with Luke Thompson and we're a 5th-8th team imo.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sign cotric or addo-Carr
Chuck to omaga at second row and have Ogden take his bench spot. Problem solved

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd put RFM in there until the end of the season and see how he goes. In theory that's his best position (pretty similar to CHN tbh). There are other players we need that are "available" before we sign David Fifita imo (backs, hooker, halves - not a lot of options but there are some). Also David Fifita would be the most expensive player we could bring in.
So what if he is expensive.....we need a fukin big fish

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So what if he is expensive.....we need a fukin big fish
There are just other players I'd sign first for other positions. I wouldn't mind if we sign him tho.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Who do you want to sign then? What category of players? You do realise the best top talent coming through is expensive too right? (and people say that's risky too) If you want to develop players you do that on the side and we've already been doing that... after that rejects and "expensive players" - good players that won't join a struggling club for what they're worth are all that are left. We've already picked up our fair share of opportunist players and we're a bottom four side. We need better. Add JAC, Cotric, Milford and Friend (or players alike) to go with Luke Thompson and we're a 5th-8th team imo.
Players from good stock... Sailor and Lam

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Our recruitment options won't be clear until we sort out what's going on with DWZ and Smith though... Both are stifling us atm, out of position and arguably we could sign Addo-Carr but what's the point with them on the wing ? and taking that into consideration are they good enough wingers to warrant us not replacing them ? I'll leave that open for interpretation.