Opinion Who should be in the big 5 x positions for 2022

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Fullback - Corey Allan
2. Five Eighth - Jake Averillo
3. Halfback - Matt Burton
4. Hooker - Jeremy Marshall-King --> I just don't think we will be able to attract anyone
5. A hard running Forward - Tevita Pangai Jr
Where are you playing SJ?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you playing SJ?
I am ignoring Shaun Johnson for now unless and until we actually sign him

we need a prop or two, a hooker (NFI who at this late stage), and some strike in the back row before we look at someone like Johnson... in truth, Johnson only makes sense IF we can rid ourselves of K-Popped Flanagan first and then use that money and that saved from DWZ on him

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am ignoring Shaun Johnson for now unless and until we actually sign him
Johnson only makes sense IF we can rid ourselves of K-Popped Flanagan first and then use that money and that saved from DWZ on him
Apparently hes agreed to $450k for 2 years due to be announced this week, the Sean Johnson thread has a few people confirming it. The money saved from DWZ covers his wage next year, so given that do you then drop Allen or Averillo? Someone has to miss out unfortunately

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This teams spine needs a big fuk off adjustment or preferably a new spinal transplant.

1 Dufty or Fox
6 Burto
7 Johnson
9 Hodgson

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People are considering Dufty as a fullback. His only asset is his speed. He cant (or wont) defend.
JAC has more speed than Dufty. He can also tackle. He brings the ball back really well.
He has also played footy at the highest level.
So why would you consider Dufty as fullback, when we have JAC.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently hes agreed to $450k for 2 years due to be announced this week, the Sean Johnson thread has a few people confirming it. The money saved from DWZ covers his wage next year, so given that do you then drop Allen or Averillo? Someone has to miss out unfortunately
if we have signed Shaun Johnson - and still, I cannot believe we have exhausted our cap for 2022 - what I am hoping for:

1. Jake Averillo
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Brent Naden
4. Corey Allan
5. Nick Cotric
6. Matt Burton
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Luke Thompson
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Tevita Pangai Jr
11. Raymond Faitula-Mariner
12. Adam Elliot
13. Josh Jackson (c)

14. Jack Hetherington
15. Renouf Atoni
16. Ava Seumanafagai
17. Jackson Topine

Wakeham remains as squad depth in the halves but I do not believe he is starting FG half... I would keep Meaney as squad depth for wing or fullback but IF the Storm come in for him for similar money, he should go as the Storm is quite the system and with Hynes leaving and Papenhuyzen being a little brittle, he will get FG games for them

the Broncos showing TPJ the door as brazenly as they have done (ie. literally on air on Channel 9), is as brutal as I can think of and I would think we should be able to at least step in and take over his Broncos contract for the remainder of 2021 and 2022 and that would then allow him and his agent to negotiate with us and the rest of the league from this November... he probably won't accept that but you can potentially sell it as him putting himself in the shop window... perhaps get the Broncos to chip in... I know he has off field issues and can be inconsistent and can be a judiciary liability but he has the sort of size, mobility and impact that we simply lack at the moment

RFM is still under contract and when healthy (I know, I know), he is probably our best back rower on the edges

we have re-signed Elliot and hence, I have picked him but I honestly would not trust him alone with scissors

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
People are considering Dufty as a fullback. His only asset is his speed. He cant (or wont) defend.
JAC has more speed than Dufty. He can also tackle. He brings the ball back really well.
JAC is a better fullback than Dufty and he hasn't even played there yet.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He
I can't believe you thought Napa was any good. We lost Klemmer and for that soft c#ck.
He was good at the roosters, but thought he would come good for us. Complete waste of time with what he’s served up at the dogs

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Least Dufty has played fullback. I am sorry but JAC is not a fullback.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fullback- I'd rather get Duffty but there is a price point here, not for north of 600-700k please. Second option Avereillo.
5/8- Matt Burton
Half- Shaun Johnson
Hooker- don't know but not JMK or any other dud we have. I would have go at Turpin from Brisbane or someone like that

We need forwards though and badly, start with TPJ, but we need 2 or 3 more minimum.

This won't happen in 1 off season might be 2 or 3.

The one I really want is James Fisher Harris, offer whatever he wants and don't care if it's in a year or two. Best prop in the game.
I also think we could get use out of Matt Dufty. But we need to coach them well. We have previously got some players from other clubs and we have got nothing out of them when they play for the Dogs. We need them to hit the ground running. Maybe it’s a confidence thing, not just football talent.

Exciting times at Bulldogs (with new players coming in) hopefully players looking to leave other clubs will see that things maybe are on the up and want to play for the Bulldogs.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fullback- I'd rather get Duffty but there is a price point here, not for north of 600-700k please. Second option Avereillo.
5/8- Matt Burton
Half- Shaun Johnson
Hooker- don't know but not JMK or any other dud we have. I would have go at Turpin from Brisbane or someone like that

We need forwards though and badly, start with TPJ, but we need 2 or 3 more minimum.

This won't happen in 1 off season might be 2 or 3.

The one I really want is James Fisher Harris, offer whatever he wants and don't care if it's in a year or two. Best prop in the game.
No one wants Dufty, he ain't going to be getting anywhere near 500k, if he can even find a club.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Josh Addo Carr
2. Matt Burton
3. Shaun Johnson - not so happy about this but who else is there?
4. Unless there is someone available I'm not aware of JMK for 1 season
5. I don't watch other teams games, but surely there are a few running around QLD & KOE Cups, England, rugby or somewhere. Though Napa finally did something on the weekend, he is not smarter than a 1st grader & is too lazy like most of our players.
1 to 3 spot on.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say these 5 positions are huge choices for us in 2022.
1. Fullback (should we play someone already around or look to get someone else - Dufty?)
2. Five Eighth (should we play someone already there or look outside the club)
3. Halfback (Shaun Johnson or someone else)
4. Hooker (I would say 100% look outside the club. We need a gun with a bit of bulk and brains as they will lead from every play the ball)
5. A hard running Forward. Someone who will take on the opposition - like a battering ram. I previously thought Dylan Napa was the guy when he first came to the club. But overall he’s been disappointing to say the least.
What do you guys think?. The Club also better get cracking to sort more players out for next year. The longer they leave it they’ll run out of options again.
Are smashed on Tuesday afternoon I think you may need help

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Averillo or Fox
2. Burton
3. Johnson
4. Kenny/JMK
5. Don't want a hard running forward. Want a tackle busting forward with a good offload who runs good inside lines(Not dumb as dogshit like Pangai though). I would pay for Creighton @ roosters as there are slim pickings in all honesty.