Opinion Who should be in the big 5 x positions for 2022

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say these 5 positions are huge choices for us in 2022.
1. Fullback (should we play someone already around or look to get someone else - Dufty?)
2. Five Eighth (should we play someone already there or look outside the club)
3. Halfback (Shaun Johnson or someone else)
4. Hooker (I would say 100% look outside the club. We need a gun with a bit of bulk and brains as they will lead from every play the ball)
5. A hard running Forward. Someone who will take on the opposition - like a battering ram. I previously thought Dylan Napa was the guy when he first came to the club. But overall he’s been disappointing to say the least.
What do you guys think?. The Club also better get cracking to sort more players out for next year. The longer they leave it they’ll run out of options again.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Fullback (should we play someone already around or look to get someone else - Dufty?)
4. Hooker (I would say 100% look outside the club. We need a gun with a bit of bulk and brains as they will lead from every play the ball)
5. A hard running Forward. Someone who will take on the opposition - like a battering ram. I previously thought Dylan Napa was the guy when he first came to the club. But overall he’s been disappointing to say the least.
What do you guys think?. The Club also better get cracking to sort more players out for next year. The longer they leave it they’ll run out of options again.
1. Josh Addo Carr
2. Matt Burton
3. Shaun Johnson - not so happy about this but who else is there?
4. Unless there is someone available I'm not aware of JMK for 1 season
5. I don't watch other teams games, but surely there are a few running around QLD & KOE Cups, England, rugby or somewhere. Though Napa finally did something on the weekend, he is not smarter than a 1st grader & is too lazy like most of our players.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Josh Addo Carr
2. Matt Burton
5. I don't watch other teams games, but surely there are a few running around QLD & KOE Cups, England, rugby or somewhere. Though Napa finally did something on the weekend, he is not smarter than a 1st grader & is too lazy like most of our players.
JAC is not a fullback, we should have learned this lesson with Bmoz, lets not fit players into positions they cant play, hes a world class winger, play him there

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No to Sezer. We had him once and was no better than mediocre then.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I can't believe you thought Napa was any good. We lost Klemmer and for that soft c#ck.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Fullback
2. Five Eighth
3. Halfback
4. Hooker
5. A hard running Forward.
1. Averillo but need to start playing him there this year so he can acclimatise. Otherwise given Allen the spot and play Averillo as a utility in the 14 jumper
2. Burton/Johnson
3. Johnson/Burton
4. Hodgson if possible but i worry he'll want a 3+ year deal when hes coming to the end of his career and i dont think the club should take that chance. Otherwise play JMK next year and B Smith in 2023
5. Hopefully the Haas rumour has some truth to it. Afoa would've been good but the club was too slow to move and he re signed, i dont think theres many out and out first grade front rowers available to be honest. May have to look at someone like Capewell

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Fullback - Allan or Averillo (Meaney possibly as a back up if he doesn't go to the Storm. Allan can ball play. should get back to Souths form in a strong team
Averillo doesn't really have a passing game but is a good finisher. I've gone right off Dufty after reading the recent article about the 6 reasons the Dragons don't want to re-sign him - too many defensive flaws.

2 Five-Eight - Burton

3 Halfback - Johnson. Even after his operation he has more pace, a better running game, a side step, better passing game, better kicking game than Flanagan ever had or ever will have. Burton and the team in general need an "experienced" player in the halves who will keep a cool head under pressure. We need direction on the field.

4 Hooker - has to be Brandon Smith if we want to get top 8 (or top 4). I wouldn't be unhappy with Hodgson or Clarke really either but anything less is a FAIL

5 Forward - TPG is available NOW and runs hard and tackles hard. We need a "dominant" "BIG body" forward both in attack (to get metres out of our own end) and to hit hard and intimidate in defence and stop us getting trampled by largert forward packs. When Napa leaves we loose a lot of size. We also need someone with a bit of X Factor in attack. TPG is one of the few forwards who provides all of the above and as I said is available NOW. We better not let the Tigers or Roosters nab him ahead of us. I'd also be happy with Saifiti, Papali, Haas or Fanua-Blake. JFH is a great prop but we need a bigger body.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Josh Addo Carr
2. Matt Burton
I’m happy about SJ, the experience is the benefit.!!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JAC is not a fullback, we should have learned this lesson with Bmoz, lets not fit players into positions they cant play, hes a world class winger, play him there
I put him there because SMH journalist Read said that JAC had been promised 1st crack at fullback

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I put him there because SMH journalist Read said that JAC had been promised 1st crack at fullback
nah he refuted that recently nothing has been promised at all re FB, reckon he plays on the wing, maybe roves a bit while i guess Avo learns on the job(worried he won't cut it myself hopefully im wrong).

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Fullback - Allan or Averillo (Meaney possibly as a back up if he doesn't go to the Storm. Allan can ball play. should get back to Souths form in a strong team
Averillo doesn't really have a passing game but is a good finisher. I've gone right off Dufty after reading the recent article about the 6 reasons the Dragons don't want to re-sign him - too many defensive flaws.

2 Five-Eight - Burton

3 Halfback - Johnson. Even after his operation he has more pace, a better running game, a side step, better passing game, better kicking game than Flanagan ever had or ever will have. Burton and the team in general need an "experienced" player in the halves who will keep a cool head under pressure. We need direction on the field.

4 Hooker - has to be Brandon Smith if we want to get top 8 (or top 4). I wouldn't be unhappy with Hodgson or Clarke really either but anything less is a FAIL

5 Forward - TPG is available NOW and runs hard and tackles hard. We need a "dominant" "BIG body" forward both in attack (to get metres out of our own end) and to hit hard and intimidate in defence and stop us getting trampled by largert forward packs. When Napa leaves we loose a lot of size. We also need someone with a bit of X Factor in attack. TPG is one of the few forwards who provides all of the above and as I said is available NOW. We better not let the Tigers or Roosters nab him ahead of us. I'd also be happy with Saifiti, Papali, Haas or Fanua-Blake. JFH is a great prop but we need a bigger body.
I agree with all positions B Smith is a must
Maybe we could also nap up a cheap experienced prop also someone like a Woods or Afoa coming of the bench who isn’t going to play to much mins just goes on does his role we need size

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the kennel was agreeing on what our spine should be.
1. Avo
6. Burton
7. Johnson
9. B Smith
14. JMK

Fuck signing Dufty when we can throw Avo back there
Make sure its underarm when you throw Avo back there or we may just end up with Guac in the backfield!!

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Fullback - Corey Allan
2. Five Eighth - Jake Averillo
3. Halfback - Matt Burton
4. Hooker - Jeremy Marshall-King --> I just don't think we will be able to attract anyone
5. A hard running Forward - Tevita Pangai Jr

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fullback- I'd rather get Duffty but there is a price point here, not for north of 600-700k please. Second option Avereillo.
5/8- Matt Burton
Half- Shaun Johnson
Hooker- don't know but not JMK or any other dud we have. I would have go at Turpin from Brisbane or someone like that

We need forwards though and badly, start with TPJ, but we need 2 or 3 more minimum.

This won't happen in 1 off season might be 2 or 3.

The one I really want is James Fisher Harris, offer whatever he wants and don't care if it's in a year or two. Best prop in the game.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smith or Hodgson at hooker, TPJ to play tight and Shaun Johnson at half.

We will finally be an attacking threat with Johnson on the right and Burton on the left - with Cotric, JAC, Averillo and Naden etc out wide we would have a perfect set of creative halves to take full advantage.

As long as Johnson is a maximum 2 years and no more than 500k per season I think we should go for it.