Opinion Who Owns The Footy?

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, when the NRL were busy interfering in the contractual arrangements between Canberra and its coach, I asked the rhetorical question “Do the NRL think they are lords and masters of the universe?”. This got me wondering who actually owns the NRL, or in broader terms, who owns the footy? The NRL is worth millions of dollars, if it went belly-up next week or next month, who would get the money?

I have been doing some research (yeah, I know, I should get out more) and I have uncovered a few facts. First the NRL is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC), and so the question becomes “who owns the ARLC?”.

If the ARLC was a publicly listed company, I could simply have looked up the share register to find out who owned it, but it is in fact a NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION. Let that sink in for a moment – it pays not one cent in tax on the millions (and millions) of dollars it makes!

A non-profit pays no tax because it does not exist to make money, it exists to further some perceived philanthropic ideal, such as eliminating World poverty. If it did happen to make some money, a proportion of it would be retained as a float to take care of ongoing running costs, and the rest would be spent in furthering its notional ideal of providing air conditioners for Eskimos, or whatever the worthy cause happens to be. I am as much of a footy fan as the next bloke, but I struggle to understand how promoting the footy can be classed as a charitable endeavour. Perhaps the Government could take a closer look at this the next time V’Landys attempts to stand over them?

From the ARLC website:

How the Commission Works

The ARL Commission is the existing ARL corporate entity with an entirely new constitution and regulatory framework.

The Objects of the ARL Commission are listed in its constitution:

The primary objects of the Company are to:
  1. Be the single controlling body and administrator of the Game;
  2. Foster, develop, extend and provide adequate funding for the Game from the junior to elite levels and generally to act in the best interests of the Game;
  3. Liaise with and delegate appropriate functions to governing bodies of the Game in the States and Territories of Australia, including the NSWRL and QRL;
  4. Organise and conduct all State of Origin and Australian Representative Games;
  5. Organise, conduct and foster the NRL Competition;
  6. Liaise with the Rugby League International Federation Limited and organisations controlling the game in other countries in the fostering and control of the game of Rugby League throughout the world;
  7. Promote and encourage either directly or indirectly the physical, cultural and intellectual welfare of young people in the community and, in particular, the Rugby League community;
  8. Promote and encourage either directly or indirectly sport and recreation, particularly Rugby League football, in the interests of the social welfare of young persons. The NSW, Queensland and Country Rugby Leagues remain separate entities under the Commission.
The name of the Telstra Premiership and the NRL brand remain in place subject to any future decisions taken by the Commission.

All NRL clubs and the NSW and Queensland Rugby Leagues are members of the Commission.

Each club signs a participation agreement which allows it to compete in the Telstra Premiership.

The inaugural ARL Commissioners were agreed by representatives of the NRL Partnership, the Leagues and the clubs in 2012. Future Commissioners are appointed by the Commission itself.

The Commissioners are appointed into different groups and, initially, for differing terms. Each Commissioner must, at a nominated time, resign and may seek re-election.

So the commission has eighteen members, soon to be nineteen. In a sense these members own” the NRL, and , if the NRL becomes too big for its boots (why am I saying “if?”) the clubs can get together and bring it back down to size. This is unlikely, though, as the clubs have only considered their common interests once before – when the NRL was first formed! And that was born out of dire necessity. Why am I fired up about all this? Because, if the NRL decides it no longer wants Canterbury Bulldogs around, they will be able to turn us into an ex-football club, and there won’t be a whole lot we can do about it.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, when the NRL were busy interfering in the contractual arrangements between Canberra and its coach, I asked the rhetorical question “Do the NRL think they are lords and masters of the universe?”. This got me wondering who actually owns the NRL, or in broader terms, who owns the footy? The NRL is worth millions of dollars, if it went belly-up next week or next month, who would get the money?

I have been doing some research (yeah, I know, I should get out more) and I have uncovered a few facts. First the NRL is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC), and so the question becomes “who owns the ARLC?”.

If the ARLC was a publicly listed company, I could simply have looked up the share register to find out who owned it, but it is in fact a NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION. Let that sink in for a moment – it pays not one cent in tax on the millions (and millions) of dollars it makes!

A non-profit pays no tax because it does not exist to make money, it exists to further some perceived philanthropic ideal, such as eliminating World poverty. If it did happen to make some money, a proportion of it would be retained as a float to take care of ongoing running costs, and the rest would be spent in furthering its notional ideal of providing air conditioners for Eskimos, or whatever the worthy cause happens to be. I am as much of a footy fan as the next bloke, but I struggle to understand how promoting the footy can be classed as a charitable endeavour. Perhaps the Government could take a closer look at this the next time V’Landys attempts to stand over them?

From the ARLC website:

How the Commission Works

The ARL Commission is the existing ARL corporate entity with an entirely new constitution and regulatory framework.

The Objects of the ARL Commission are listed in its constitution:

The primary objects of the Company are to:
  1. Be the single controlling body and administrator of the Game;
  2. Foster, develop, extend and provide adequate funding for the Game from the junior to elite levels and generally to act in the best interests of the Game;
  3. Liaise with and delegate appropriate functions to governing bodies of the Game in the States and Territories of Australia, including the NSWRL and QRL;
  4. Organise and conduct all State of Origin and Australian Representative Games;
  5. Organise, conduct and foster the NRL Competition;
  6. Liaise with the Rugby League International Federation Limited and organisations controlling the game in other countries in the fostering and control of the game of Rugby League throughout the world;
  7. Promote and encourage either directly or indirectly the physical, cultural and intellectual welfare of young people in the community and, in particular, the Rugby League community;
  8. Promote and encourage either directly or indirectly sport and recreation, particularly Rugby League football, in the interests of the social welfare of young persons. The NSW, Queensland and Country Rugby Leagues remain separate entities under the Commission.
The name of the Telstra Premiership and the NRL brand remain in place subject to any future decisions taken by the Commission.

All NRL clubs and the NSW and Queensland Rugby Leagues are members of the Commission.

Each club signs a participation agreement which allows it to compete in the Telstra Premiership.

The inaugural ARL Commissioners were agreed by representatives of the NRL Partnership, the Leagues and the clubs in 2012. Future Commissioners are appointed by the Commission itself.

The Commissioners are appointed into different groups and, initially, for differing terms. Each Commissioner must, at a nominated time, resign and may seek re-election.

So the commission has eighteen members, soon to be nineteen. In a sense these members own” the NRL, and , if the NRL becomes too big for its boots (why am I saying “if?”) the clubs can get together and bring it back down to size. This is unlikely, though, as the clubs have only considered their common interests once before – when the NRL was first formed! And that was born out of dire necessity. Why am I fired up about all this? Because, if the NRL decides it no longer wants Canterbury Bulldogs around, they will be able to turn us into an ex-football club, and there won’t be a whole lot we can do about it.
Add to that that all the players sign contracts with the NRL to play for particular clubs. To be perfectly honest, I would like to see us not sign the next contract with the NRL, have all players (or ones we want) sign contracts to end at the same time & go play in the Super League. We would get a much fairer go there.

The whole thing stinks & we need another Super League unfortunately.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ARLC would receive 'not for profit' tax status because all profits are used for the 8 objects listed in their constitution. Similar to your local junior club who gets the same status. All monies are supposed to go back into the sport.

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So if the nrl is a private entity how could they fine players and coaches? When a player or coach gets fined by the nrl, who gets the money? Also what happens if you just say nope not paying , what happens there?

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same as an RSL club which destroys the most vulnerable in the community. Not for profits in this country are used to funnel money into a wealthy few through salaries, functions, etc. The law should be if you get tax exempt status your books should be open to the public.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So if the nrl is a private entity how could they fine players and coaches? When a player or coach gets fined by the nrl, who gets the money? Also what happens if you just say nope not paying , what happens there?
The short answer is they can't fine players or coaches. I heard a whisper years ago that they tried to fine Jack Gibson for complaining about referees and he told them they could see him in court, which they declined to follow up. What happens these days is that every NRL club gets an annual grant - their share of the profits on the season - and if they "fine" somebody, they deduct an equivalent amount from that club's grant, and it is up to the club concerned whether or not they recover it from the player or coach. This would never survive a court challenge, but the clubs know that if they took the league to court, the league has a dozen ways to get back at them.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Same as an RSL club which destroys the most vulnerable in the community. Not for profits in this country are used to funnel money into a wealthy few through salaries, functions, etc. The law should be if you get tax exempt status your books should be open to the public.
Don’t get me started about RSL clubs.. Fucking can’t wear a hat in your shitty weird perfume smelling poker den my fucking Grandfather killed people which traumatised him for shit arse war defending our rights so if I want to wear a hat in here I’ll do it. I’ll always remember him telling me that.

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The short answer is they can't fine players or coaches. I heard a whisper years ago that they tried to fine Jack Gibson for complaining about referees and he told them they could see him in court, which they declined to follow up. What happens these days is that every NRL club gets an annual grant - their share of the profits on the season - and if they "fine" somebody, they deduct an equivalent amount from that club's grant, and it is up to the club concerned whether or not they recover it from the player or coach. This would never survive a court challenge, but the clubs know that if they took the league to court, the league has a dozen ways to get back at them.
Thanks for clarification.
Would have thought maybe giving the money to junior clubs or charity woupd have been better.
Ricky Stuart 25k fine going to a charity would have been good.
Thought I saw somewhere that the AFL fines go to junior clubs.
Nrl is so amateur.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for clarification.
Would have thought maybe giving the money to junior clubs or charity woupd have been better.
Ricky Stuart 25k fine going to a charity would have been good.
Thought I saw somewhere that the AFL fines go to junior clubs.
Nrl is so amateur.
As part of the EBA with the Rugby League Players Association the NRL fines go to the ex-player wellbeing and education fund.

Always a Bulldog

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As part of the EBA with the Rugby League Players Association the NRL fines go to the ex-player wellbeing and education fund.

Always a Bulldog
Should up the fines then to help out ex players doing it tough. Thanks TT.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
'Extra lifeline': Judiciary changes aimed at ensuring stars don't miss big games | NRL.com

How much could players be fined and who pays?
The value of fines range between 10 and 50 per cent of match payments for a representative game – meaning players in Wednesday night’s Origin risk being slugged up to $7,500 as the Maroons and Blues stars each receive $15,000 per game during the interstate clash.

Graham Annesley weekly football briefing - Round 13

Graham Annesley weekly football briefing - Round 13

The lowest financial penalty facing a player found guilty of a minor charge would be $1500, although players are still entitled to a 25 per cent discount for an early guilty plea.

“When a player plays in an Origin game or an international game, they get paid a match payment and that can be a reasonably significant amount of money,” Annesley said.

“The fines come off the player’s match payments, so the player doesn’t get that money.

“It will definitely reduce the impact on NRL clubs, whereas players in the past have received suspensions and have to serve them in club games.

“For most low to mid-level offences a rep game offence will not count against an NRL record. You might get a fine or a couple of fines in an Origin series but that will not be held against you in the NRL competition.

“The record of offences in rep games will only apply for that calendar year so, for example, if a player committed an offence in Origin and then another offence in an international game, they would all count against the player but the following year the player goes back to a clean record in regards to that representative ledger.”

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL player fines skyrocket near $1 million | 7NEWS

The NRL is on track to hand out more than $1 million in fines to players this year, after having already doubled the financial penalties dished out in 2020.

With four months still to go in the calendar year, fines handed out to Josh Dugan and Adam Elliott this week for alleged biosecurity breaches this week took the game's tally to $857,800.

That figure does not include the $75,000 in publicised fines handed out to clubs for separate breaches this year.

But while club front offices have traditionally borne the brunt of big fines, the sanctions against players this year have been unprecedented.
They are also well beyond the $330,000 for the entire 2020 year.

Bubble breaches account for more than $470,000 in fines handed out to players this year, with Josh Dugan making up for $75,000 of those alone.

However, the other significant addition to the game's kitty bag has been at the judiciary.

With two rounds still to play, a total of 164 fines have been handed out for minor on-field offences, totalling $230,100.

Much of that is due to the game's crackdown on foul play, with 242 grade-one offences in 2021 compared to 121 in 2020.

Josh McGuire has been hardest hit at the judiciary, with two fines totalling $4650 to go with his total of five weeks suspended this season.