Who fits the 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I have been racking my brain this week to work out who is best for five-eight. Keating?, Reynolds?, Romelo?, Halatau?, Stagg? they all have good points and bad points. So I went to wikipedia and read an interesting piece on Rugby League positions. The game is forever changing but the roles remain the same in foundation. Who fits the 6 in your opinion assuming Hodko is 7?? Trent Hodkinson / Josh Reynolds combo might work they kind of balance each other out and could be extremely dangerous under Hasler given time to mature http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league_positions

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i think the first shot is keating, but he shouldnt be given much leeway

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
i think the first shot is keating, but he shouldnt be given much leeway
I think that WILL be plan A. Hodkinson and Keatings Canterbury win/loss record is 14 games for 9 wins and 5 losses (64.3%) according to the latest RLW, but it isn't much to go off. Plan B will be Reynolds if KK does not deliver early in the comp.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
romelo for with renyolds of the bench
I do like Romelo reminds me a little of Baa with his stature but he can't pass, kick or playmake all that well better suited to utility forward IMO mate. He loves mixin it with the big boppers and smashing them.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Both Hodkinson and Reynolds are right side players, so it'd be pointless to have them both there in the halves.

I'm reluctant about Keating, but he truly is all we've got.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Intersting reading the description for Halfback. Describing it as first receiver.... The last halfback that i remember who genuinley did play as a first receiver was Joey Johns. Even when props were taking hit-ups a lot of the time it was off Johnsy.

The game is forever changing but the roles remain the same in foundation
I disagree with that. Halfback and 5/8 are almost identical roles this days, one stuck on either side of the park.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whoever we go with will be substandard.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I prefer Keating in defence but both need to develop a slick kicking game in attack, sometimes on the last tackle things die in the ass instead of an opportunity made.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been racking my brain this week to work out who is best for five-eight. Keating?, Reynolds?, Romelo?, Halatau?, Stagg? they all have good points and bad points. So I went to wikipedia and read an interesting piece on Rugby League positions. The game is forever changing but the roles remain the same in foundation. Who fits the 6 in your opinion assuming Hodko is 7?? Trent Hodkinson / Josh Reynolds combo might work they kind of balance each other out and could be extremely dangerous under Hasler given time to mature http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league_positions
I reckon you've got a couple of good options here but first I'll give you the Gospel according to Izzy as to who shouldn't be there. David Stagg finished 2011 in near top form at lock. Bearing in mind he played in the centres for the Broncos but to give him the #6 would weaken the Bulldogs #13 position. Joel Romelo is a very strong defender but has shortcomings in attack. To give him #6 would impact on the outside backs. Keating is a reasonable defender but would also stuff up the outside backs.

Reynolds has been there and done okay, but the bloke I'd like given a shot is Dene Halatau. He's a top defender and has good attacking skills. He's played FG at both lock and centre so IMO would slot into five eighth with no problem.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reckon you've got a couple of good options here but first I'll give you the Gospel according to Izzy as to who shouldn't be there. David Stagg finished 2011 in near top form at lock; to give him the #6 would weaken the #13 position. Joel Romelo is a very strong defender but has shortcomings in attack. To give him #6 would impact on the outside backs. Keating is a reasonable defender but would also stuff up the outside backs.

Reynolds has been there and done okay but the bloke I'd like given a shot is Dene Halatau. He's a top defender and has good attacking skills. He's played FG at both lock and centre so IMO would slot into five eighth with no problem.
You know, I think Dene would make a decent 5/8. But.... I don't think he would compliment Hodko at all. If we had a livewire halfback like Sandow or Cronk I think he would go well.

If our halves were Hodko and Dene we would severely lack creativity imo.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i really hope hasler makes it work for reynolds

*bulldogs junior
*hits even the biggest players on the park with great impact in defence
*has great spark in attack

if hasler is able to weave some magic with his temperament, passing game and kicking game, i'd prefer reynolds as pivot (with hodko at halfback) any day

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeh Reynolds needs to be there somewhere, his aggression and enthusiasm is jizz-worthy.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Can't believe people want Romelo at 5/8. FML why not ruin any chance we have at making the finals. He's a hooker and that's it. Should be between Reynolds and Keating only with Keating getting first shot and Reynolds on the bench.

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't believe people want Romelo at 5/8. FML why not ruin any chance we have at making the finals. He's a hooker and that's it. Should be between Reynolds and Keating only with Keating getting first shot and Reynolds on the bench.
agreed with everything.

Romelo is only good for his big hits and that is about it

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
agreed with everything.

Romelo is only good for his big hits and that is about it
Apparently someone gave it to Romelo last weekend, anyone know who it was??

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The position of 5/8 (in my opinion), comes more into focus when the team has a deep attacking line. Apart from that he is basically another half back, on the opposite side of the field, but they still need to be able to 'compliment' each others style.

Status
Not open for further replies.