Opinion Who do you think will have a breakout year for the Bulldogs???

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he has that in his locker he should be doing it every time we're under the pump and their wingers (or even Fullback sometimes) aren't respecting our kicking game -spread the ball early in the set to get their Wingers interested (if they stay back then we have space). It's good he kicked one but it needs to happen more often and that's from all the Halves too. I think we're scared to kick it out on the full. JMK did improve throughout the year but us trying to recruit Koroisau and even Pay himself saying we're interested in a Hooker (I assume we wanted someone better than Katoa at the time) shows we're not content with him being our starting Hooker (unless someone on contract pops up now tho we're going to have to stick with him anyways). I hope he keeps developing and improving to change this tho. The less top/emerging players we need to buy/bring in the better.
We didnt re-sign lichaa or brown, so theres no doubting we needed to buy a hooker, and if he was a star then no doubt he would have been in front of JMK.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I couldn't say if it's Smith or Pay initiating a potential move to the centres. I don't remember the article that well. But high quality in any position at present can draw ridiculous offers. Player managers know that teams are desperate for that extra percentage of quality that might bring about a premiership shot.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Really? I thought JMK steadily improved all year. He is the only one in the team to kick a 40/20 this year, and his running game was pretty good towards the back end of the year.
But each to their own.
Youre right his first full year at 9 and he had a terrific year definitely our most improved,he will only get better im tipping a big year from him,i also think katoa will go very well and they could have a great combo with one coming off the bench.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? I thought JMK steadily improved all year. He is the only one in the team to kick a 40/20 this year, and his running game was pretty good towards the back end of the year.
But each to their own.
Thanks for accepting each for their own and I know I'm on my own with this but I fear the following.

We finally get rid of Lichaa and our starting hooker will end up like Ben Roberts, full of promise but after 93 games, 10 tries and one man of the match award we realise he is not the answer.

If he can score a try this season from dummy half George Peponis style without being driven back, I will lay off him, please remind me if if forget this post.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Youre right his first full year at 9 and he had a terrific year definitely our most improved,he will only get better im tipping a big year from him,i also think katoa will go very well and they could have a great combo with one coming off the bench.
Yeah I'm not convince he is an 80 min hooker yet, so the two of them will work well together.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for accepting each for their own and I know I'm on my own with this but I fear the following.

We finally get rid of Lichaa and our starting hooker will end up like Ben Roberts, full of promise but after 93 games, 10 tries and one man of the match award we realise he is not the answer.

If he can score a try this season from dummy half George Peponis style without being driven back, I will lay off him, please remind me if if forget this post.
He is definitely a work in progress, but he really improved this year, so I expect him to keep improving.
Remember the article about the dogs halves, hookers and backs training with GWS? Also working with shifty. Hopefully he can improve his kicking game through this extra work, and having a full off season training at hooker.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know the but I HOPE it's Jmk, if he does have a good year then it's solves one of the problems that we have atm.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He is definitely a work in progress, but he really improved this year, so I expect him to keep improving.
Remember the article about the dogs halves, hookers and backs training with GWS? Also working with shifty. Hopefully he can improve his kicking game through this extra work, and having a full off season training at hooker.
His basics like passing and defenxe are good, he just lacks vision and decision making is poor. If he can some how improve that then he can maybe make it as a full-time hooker, if not then I don't see him being anything more than a bench utility.

One thing I do find really disappointing is that for someone with so much pace he seems to lack balance. He can run fast in a straight line but ask anything more of him and there's a noticeable drop off in pace, he also struggles when breaking contact and pretty much falls over because of it. I'm not sure how you go about improving this.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
His basics like passing and defenxe are good, he just lacks vision and decision making is poor. If he can some how improve that then he can maybe make it as a full-time hooker, if not then I don't see him being anything more than a bench utility.

One thing I do find really disappointing is that for someone with so much pace he seems to lack balance. He can run fast in a straight line but ask anything more of him and there's a noticeable drop off in pace, he also struggles when breaking contact and pretty much falls over because of it. I'm not sure how you go about improving this.
I'm not really sure how much improvement he has in him. In my opinion vision and instinct isn't something you can teach you either have or you don't and he doesn't have it.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how much improvement he has in him. In my opinion vision and instinct isn't something you can teach you either have or you don't and he doesn't have it.
I actually think he has a lot more vision than he has shown but has lacked the confidence to back himself. He was also watching Lichaa who was just a tackling machine and one of the worst hookers we have ever had. Hopefully he shows us more vision this season

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually think he has a lot more vision than he has shown but has lacked the confidence to back himself. He was also watching Lichaa who was just a tackling machine and one of the worst hookers we have ever had. Hopefully he shows us more vision this season
He has had two years in the halves and at hooker and showed nothing for mine in terms of creativity. He has plenty of game time too and you'd think something would have shown up in that time.

Even a simple thing like making a break he just puts his head down and runs as hard as he can and doesn't even look for support.

All I'm expecting form him is good service, defence and the occasion line break similar to what he did this season.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He has had two years in the halves and at hooker and showed nothing for mine in terms of creativity. He has plenty of game time too and you'd think something would have shown up in that time.

Even a simple thing like making a break he just puts his head down and runs as hard as he can and doesn't even look for support.

All I'm expecting form him is good service, defence and the occasion line break similar to what he did this season.
Hopefully a year starting at hooker after a full off season of knowing where he’ll be playing will help. Fingers crossed

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toomaga for me. Thought he was one of the better players for us at the end of the season. Made a lot of grounds coming from bench. Always a handful to the opps. I rate his performance compared to other nrl bench forwards too.
He will be picked in the kiwi side by end of year test if not by anzac one if not injured. Lol probably dont say much considering just about all nz players made the test side.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Toomaga for me. Thought he was one of the better players for us at the end of the season. Made a lot of grounds coming from bench. Always a handful to the opps. I rate his performance compared to other nrl bench forwards too.
He will be picked in the kiwi side by end of year test if not by anzac one if not injured. Lol probably dont say much considering just about all nz players made the test side.
He is my pick too if he recovers well from his op. I think Remis will have a great year too!

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree confidence might be holding JMK back a bit with his running (and maybe kicking) game and pass selection. His defence is good too. The time he takes at dummy half to clear the ruck is where he really has to improve his skill level.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
DWZ will have the season of his life in a Ben Barba style supporting role.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DWZ will have the season of his life in a Ben Barba style supporting role.
Maybe. Barba is a natural ball player, alot like young wakeham. Dallin is more in your mick potter mould, more strengh and power running.
I think reimis to centre is a massive mistake in making, he is too upright in defence to defend at centre much like dane gagai.
People are not going to like this but i think meaney can still be a better fullback down the track. If he wants it bad enough.
The quicker young wakeham and averillo become our halves the better.
And i think rfm will have a big year now bloody finally he is being used properly in his best position. But we will let him go after this season watch, des will get him back and manly will win another comp.
I guess im with marley on this one. Another slow start then fuck what where using, and bring in our youth.
Manly blooded plenty of young kids that most on here would just call down right crazy, look how good they went, youth brings energy, speed and have not been coached as robots, yet.
I dont see point of not using one of our young centres, only way to find out if they will make it or not.
Otherwise start writing out release contracts and bring in kids that can handle first grade.
Over this babying and protecting them for 10 years crap. Play them or they will go elsewhere.
Tommy talau left cause he wasnt waiting another 7 years to play first grade because he is younger.
Smart move look how his career and bank account is going to start 5 or 6 years earlier than here.
We play mediocre players and stick with them, i would have left as well.
But your right bob dog we need another big year from dallin to keep us in games.
Jeremy marshall king had nothing. We developed him in first grade, now we have wakeham and jake and a few others and we will play them in flegg till they sign elswhere.