Opinion Who do we all think will improve the most under Barretts tuition???

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe he doesn't rate the forum darling Wakeham too highly? And yes, maybe Lewis makes more "bad reads" than others around him. But thats partly because at least he's looking at the BOOK (defense) instead of waiting for someone else to like half the numpties last season... Defense is half the game, and the reason we were a force in the 80's (even 2000's). One day the Kennel will understand that...
Nah not really Lewis’s defence is extremely overrated on here.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As is Wakeham's mythical attack, since we don't have the Fijian World Cup squad around him... ;)
Not sure why you’d bring Wakeham into the conversation I think most would be happy if neither played a role in the halves next year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What Remis Smith and Jaden Okenbour aren't big enough for you. WTF
Smith when in form has the ability to score off kicks. Okunbor has the size but isn't known for his leap and catching ability. DWZ did last year but we know how he's been this season. So at present I don't think we benefit from a predictable and slow cross field bomb.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all honesty, the whole Fu**ing lot of them will benefit under Barrett because they have been nothing short of atrocious over the past few years. They need flogging in the off season to fix attitudes and bring respect back into the team where they have to earn it. Then, and only then can Barrett weave his magic and teach these guys how to play at the top level.

We have to remember most of our players that have been here for the past four years have not finished better than 11th. Basically they don't have a winning culture. Now thats fu**ing sad.

So yeh, every one of them will benefit under Barrett, we damn well hope so but I am confident we are now heading in the right direction and feel the positivity coming out of the club.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we will see a major improvement in the teams attitude, strength and conditioning......there will be no more passengers on our team that's for sure.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don’t forget we also have Furner as assistant coach.
Mick Potter as reserve grade coach and Steve Hansen. I’m hoping the whole squad changes in attitude and application to the game.
Hopefully we as fans see a change in the way we attack with our spine and backline

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The team has a much more room for improvement than most on here think IMHO. In the last few years we've seen.
Poor team selection. Poor rotation of the bench. Players played out of position. All those factors told me that the team was very poor coached.
We can give credit to most of the players for having a real dig, but poor coaching meant that all they were doing was bashing their heads against the proverbial brick wall, and the results showed that.
I am very confident for 2021, in fact when the betting market is published I intend to put money on us making the 8, perhaps even top 4, depending on the price, and I usually never gamble

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turning all these players into champions, just don't get your hopes up too high.

It's not you the post Was aimed at specifically. It's everyone.

remember Barrett is not a miracle maker, he's a failed first grade coach who has been part of a team that has managed to get the best out of a highly talented bunch as an assistant.

it is what it is and it be what it be.
Quiet optimism is what I have called for.
Why is Barrett a 'failed' first grade coach? He got sacked cause he dared to call the owners on their crappy training facilities and treatment of players. I remember Manly having fuck all depth and plenty of injuries at the time and still playing above their weight most of the time. He made a mistake the way he fucked young Hastings over so publicly, but apart from that he didn't do bad for a first crack at coaching and was far from a failure.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is Barrett a 'failed' first grade coach? He got sacked cause he dared to call the owners on their crappy training facilities and treatment of players. I remember Manly having fuck all depth and plenty of injuries at the time and still playing above their weight most of the time. He made a mistake the way he fucked young Hastings over so publicly, but apart from that he didn't do bad for a first crack at coaching and was far from a failure.
He is young enough and smart enough to have improved from his Manly days, I don't know how much credit he should be given for Penrith Making the GF, but by simply been assistant at a team which made the GF, his experience there would be invaluable.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
JMK will suprise a lot of people. Will develop into a very good bench utility if not a starting hooker. Averillo, Toomaga and Ogden will also go from strength to strength.

But most importantly of all, King Elliott will develop into an origin back rower. Barrett has already identified him as a huge part of our future....some of you plebs are going to have to start eating your words :grinning:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought on Napa, we can all agree that he was very disappointing last season, However I believe that he is better than he showed in 2020, its possible that he may have been carrying an injury.
One plus is that 2021 is his contract year, and if his form is the same as his 2020, his next contract will be for peanuts wherever it will be.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just a thought on Napa, we can all agree that he was very disappointing last season, However I believe that he is better than he showed in 2020, its possible that he may have been carrying an injury.
One plus is that 2021 is his contract year, and if his form is the same as his 2020, his next contract will be for peanuts wherever it will be.
No, he just isn't very good.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He actually made the 8 in his second year at Manly

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
By all accounts Hastings needed a serious attitude adjustment, lots of ability, but had a lot of trouble with accepting that there is no “I“ in “team”. Seems to have worked, much better off since he was sacked and went to the UK. Maybe when he looks back Barrett actually did him a favour.

Go Dogs

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By all accounts Hastings needed a serious attitude adjustment, lots of ability, but had a lot of trouble with accepting that there is no “I“ in “team”. Seems to have worked, much better off since he was sacked and went to the UK. Maybe when he looks back Barrett actually did him a favour.

Go Dogs
Yeah the rocket might've helped Hastings long term but I'm pretty sure Baz would have handled it differently in hindsight, or if he's in that situation again. Holding the player accountable, even sacking them is fine, but the negative public comments were unnecessary IMO and can make other players wonder if they'll be treated the same at some point. It's well in the past anyway so no problems now.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the rocket might've helped Hastings long term but I'm pretty sure Baz would have handled it differently in hindsight, or if he's in that situation again. Holding the player accountable, even sacking them is fine, but the negative public comments were unnecessary IMO and can make other players wonder if they'll be treated the same at some point. It's well in the past anyway so no problems now.
Personally I'm not too worried about his handling of Hastings, who previously was let go by the Rotters.
Like most things, better choice of words is an art which can also be leant.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know this will stir many differing opinions, but im curious who you all think will make the most improvement under Barret next year?? for me im hoping it will be Averilo, lewis and JMK. Unless of course we sign a hooker and Flanagan.
Also, overall, which area of the field will improve the most? Our backline? Spine? Forwards? If our spine improves then surely it will have a flow on effect and all areas of the field will improve.
I am confident we will see a big improvement from our spine whether we sign new players in those positions or not. And i suspect this will help the likes of Jackson, Toomaga and Ogden improve as well. I also think RFM will move into our prop rotation under Barrett.
What are your thoughts or expectations for our first year under Barrett?
I would like to think The whole team !!!