Opinion Who do we all think will improve the most under Barretts tuition???

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know this will stir many differing opinions, but im curious who you all think will make the most improvement under Barret next year?? for me im hoping it will be Averilo, lewis and JMK. Unless of course we sign a hooker and Flanagan.
Also, overall, which area of the field will improve the most? Our backline? Spine? Forwards? If our spine improves then surely it will have a flow on effect and all areas of the field will improve.
I am confident we will see a big improvement from our spine whether we sign new players in those positions or not. And i suspect this will help the likes of Jackson, Toomaga and Ogden improve as well. I also think RFM will move into our prop rotation under Barrett.
What are your thoughts or expectations for our first year under Barrett?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
To be brutally honest only Averillo and maybe Wakeham out of the spine players. Lewis and JMK have such a low skill level that I don’t think they have that much improvement in them.

I think our packs skill level will improve out of sight with Furner and TBaz encouraging more off loads and ball playing.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be brutally honest only Averillo and maybe Wakeham out of the spine players. Lewis and JMK have such a low skill level that I don’t think they have that much improvement in them.

I think our packs skill level will improve out of sight with Furner and TBaz encouraging more off loads and ball playing.
Agreed, thats why i said "hope". lol I do think Lewis and JMK can imprive under an attack focused coach, but if thats who we have to rely on then i sure as hell hope that they can improve.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed, thats why i said "hope". lol I do think Lewis and JMK can imprive under an attack focused coach, but if thats who we have to rely on then i sure as hell hope that they can improve.
I know Barrett gets plenty of credit for Cleary’s season but Cleary was a pretty decent first grade standard half before TBaz arrived then you add Api to the mix and there’s a few more factors then just Tbaz working his magic.

He certainly has his work cut out for him polishing some of the turds we have on our roster but I think Tbaz I certainly more chance of getting more out them then Pay was.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The area that needs the biggest improvements is the players attitude. They did not put in for Pay or SG and it showed.
I would argue that and say they put in for the coaches but didn’t have the fitness to last a half let alone the full 80, we didn’t give up massive scores and we put a fight in most games

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would argue that and say they put in for the coaches but didn’t have the fitness to last a half let alone the full 80, we didn’t give up massive scores and we put a fight in most games
Which why im so glad the entire coaching staff has been overhauled. We should see improvements accross the park next year.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
* Barrett and his team's tuition

I honestly think a vast majority of them will improve. Does that mean it's enough to be up to the Bulldog standard? No. But having a clear vision and style of play will make it easier for all of the players imo.

Which ones the most? I'd suspect actually Meaney, DWZ, Napa ...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know Barrett gets plenty of credit for Cleary’s season but Cleary was a pretty decent first grade standard half before TBaz arrived then you add Api to the mix and there’s a few more factors then just Tbaz working his magic.

He certainly has his work cut out for him polishing some of the turds we have on our roster but I think Tbaz I certainly more chance of getting more out them then Pay was.
Yeah for sure, i agree. But surely a former representative half as a coach will help them improve. I fucking hope so!!

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this will stir many differing opinions, but im curious who you all think will make the most improvement under Barret next year?? for me im hoping it will be Averilo, lewis and JMK. Unless of course we sign a hooker and Flanagan.
Also, overall, which area of the field will improve the most? Our backline? Spine? Forwards? If our spine improves then surely it will have a flow on effect and all areas of the field will improve.
I am confident we will see a big improvement from our spine whether we sign new players in those positions or not. And i suspect this will help the likes of Jackson, Toomaga and Ogden improve as well. I also think RFM will move into our prop rotation under Barrett.
What are your thoughts or expectations for our first year under Barrett?
I think with a brand new coaching staff, we should improve a lot. Not saying we will be world beaters but there's a lot of room for improvement.

I think rfm will stay on the edge and play a role like kikau. I think he was hard done by to not be player of the year but they gave it to Foran who left the club anyway...

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we'll see improvement all over the board.

Bringing Furner in seems like a winning play, especially for the forwards.

No doubt Barrett will have some valuable input for the halves.

And hopefully he can bring in a good game \ player management system for the whole team.

Have to wait a couple of months to see i suppose.

I just hope we are one of the fittest sides 8n the comp.

We've been underdone in that area since 2012.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Elliot, RFM and hopefully Averillo. Would hope to see Flanno, Grant and Burton improve under Barrett next year also.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Surely Lewis and JMK have reached their ceiling but who knows.
Hoppa's worst attribute is he is slow as so no improvement there.
Reimis is a loose unit, unpredictable and has been awful at centre but I think he has something.
Meaney I think has potential for improvement.
Will still dont know of potential signings which will dictate who plays where and who doesnt.

In saying all that look at Brenko Lee with the right coaching. Hes not a star but is doing his job making the Storms first grade team who sits at the top of the ladder.

I dont think any of our players could do worse than last year.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The area that needs the biggest improvements is the players attitude. They did not put in for Pay or SG and it showed.
Really? I just thought it was a lack of class and nothing else. Like spoonman 84 said Lewis can’t get any better.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hard to say who will improve most really. But I hope that we're able to get our halves creating better structure by utilising the field better.

I think a lot of our issues with attack came from the fact that frequently our second row, halves and wing/centre combination were all playing too close to the sideline and getting in each other's way. It allowed the defence to safely assume that by drifting wide in numbers they'd be safe. Rarely saw the opposition outside backs having to choose who to tackle.

Also hoping our last tackle kicking options improve in the attacking 20m. Since Hasler was here we've relied more and more on the low crossfield bomb which gives the defence as much time to get positioned as it does our own players. Would work better with monstrous wingers with great ability in the air. But we just don't have that in our arsenal.