Who are your favourite goal kickers of all time?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
John Grey, a pommy who played for norths and manly was the first round the corner style kicker in the late 70s early 80s looked strange at the time,now it looks strange looking back at the toe pokers

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I grew up in an era that thought the 3 bests were
1. Daryl Halligan
2. Matthew Ridge
3. Jason Taylor

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Ross Conlon..a former Doggie..he sorted popularised around the corner kicking..
2. Halligan
3. El Magic

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hazem. One of his best kicks was on a windy day, can’t recall who we were playing but I think it was knights, where he basically aimed for the opposite touch line and the wind took it a mile. Straight over
sharks

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ross Conlon. Pig skin ball and sand. No kicking tees which allow you to position the ball perfectly
He could nail the old leather balls from the halfway line. Was a huge advantage if his team were given a penalty anywhere in the opposition half.

But he was also dropped by Wok before the 84 grand final, even after playing origin that year. Maybe we need coaches like that now.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He could nail the old leather balls from the halfway line. Was a huge advantage if his team were given a penalty anywhere in the opposition half.

But he was also dropped by Wok before the 84 grand final, even after playing origin that year. Maybe we need coaches like that now.
The Wok even dropped Turvey who was captain at the time

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ross Conlon. Pig skin ball and sand. No kicking tees which allow you to position the ball perfectly
How dumb am I! @CroydonDog Didn’t see you guys posts..sorry..yeah how good was he.. The pigskin almost broke your foot when wet! I played with a bloke who was the Tiger’s ballboy..Conlon taught him how to kick.. He taught him well because he could pop em over from anywhere.. including a few practise shots from halfway..

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I had one of his that he kicked onto the train lines and I knicked it.

Hazem Dazza dead heat for mine. From the toe poker days Mick Cronin was a gun and Big Mal kicked a few good ones.
Haha... classic. Steve Gearin was also an effective toe poker. But agree, Mick Cronin was the best toe poker.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order

1. El Masri
2. Halligan
3. Conlon

Lamb doesn't make the list because although accurate struggled with anything outside the 25m line.

Honourary mention - Colin Whitfield.

Pommy who played for us for 1 year (I think) in the 80s.

Kicked a 55m goal in the mud with the old leather ball.
Are you thinking of Jonathan Davies?

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been a lot of great goal kickers over the years but I'd have Halligan as the best as he could kick goals not only from anywhere but also further out than Hazem could but Hazem was also a freakish goal kicker for the club.

Ross Conlon, as mentioned, was another tremendous goal kicker of the old leather steeden ball who also played with Wests and Balmain from memory.

He kicked a goal for us one day against the Roosters at their, then home ground of the old Sydney Sports Ground which became the Sydney Football Stadium and the soon to be opened, in September, Allianz Stadium. Remember listening on the radio at the time and the commentator was astonished that Conlon was coming over to take a shot a goal. He nailed it.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hazem. Oh the days when a try was a guarantee 6 points
That was more the case with Halligan and he could kick goals from a lot further out than Hazem. Both outstanding goal kickers but Halligan would be my choice if you wanted someone kicking a goal for your life.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
90s
Halligan bulldogs version .
‘when at norths he would choke important kicks but that changed when went to doggies
then hazem and Joey after him

more recently
Thurston and smith .. good at getting those pressure kicks

current players Cleary and daylight ..

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
John Grey, a pommy who played for norths and manly was the first round the corner style kicker in the late 70s early 80s looked strange at the time,now it looks strange looking back at the toe pokers
I remember attending the Australia vs Great Britain Test at the SCG in 1974, when John Gray was kicking round the corner style goals for Great Britain..
My mates & I hadn't seen this style of goal kicking before this & thought it was just a passing fad. We were obviously a bit wrong!

John Gray then came out to Australia (the next year I think) to play for Norths and then Manly. Round the style then started to become more common.
But does anyone remember who was the first Australian player to use this kicking style?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember attending the Australia vs Great Britain Test at the SCG in 1974, when John Gray was kicking round the corner style goals for Great Britain..
My mates & I hadn't seen this style of goal kicking before this & thought it was just a passing fad. We were obviously a bit wrong!

John Gray then came out to Australia (the next year I think) to play for Norths and then Manly. Round the style then started to become more common.
But does anyone remember who was the first Australian player to use this kicking style?
I remember Ron Giteau being 1 of the early exponents of the round the corner style. Not sure if he was the first though

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Willie Carne...

Hazem and Thurston had the ball had the best curves on the ball.

Nobody hit them sweeter than Maloney... Kicked them like a tee shot.