Who are the benchmark ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before the season kicked off the 3 teams that most people thought would battle it out for the premiership were the Storm, Cowboys & Roosters.
After a month of footy, all 3 are struggling.
Melbourne look disjointed
The Cowboys look disinterested
The Roosters just don’t have the forwards or the coach to win the premiership.
The last year we had 2 surprise grand finalists was back in 2005.
Before that season kicked off, the favourites were The Dogs, Roosters & the Dragons.
It’s early but I can genuinely see the Dragons as one of this years Grand Finalists .

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Plenty of football to be played before we can determine top 8.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Before the season kicked off the 3 teams that most people thought would battle it out for the premiership were the Storm, Cowboys & Roosters.
After a month of footy, all 3 are struggling.
Melbourne look disjointed
The Cowboys look disinterested
The Roosters just don’t have the forwards or the coach to win the premiership.
The last year we had 2 surprise grand finalists was back in 2005.
Before that season kicked off, the favourites were The Dogs, Roosters & the Dragons.
It’s early but I can genuinely see the Dragons as one of this years Grand Finalists .
Strange one so far. Warriors Dragons leading the comp but for how long?

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange one so far. Warriors Dragons leading the comp but for how long?
I know the Dragons led last year after about 10 rounds but this time it has a different feel about it. If the Roosters has their pack, we’d be a genuine chance instead of the clodhoppers we’ve got. On the other hand, there’s Trent Robinson to consider.... the games most overrated coach.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I know the Dragons led last year after about 10 rounds but this time it has a different feel about it. If the Roosters has their pack, we’d be a genuine chance instead of the clodhoppers we’ve got. On the other hand, there’s Trent Robinson to consider.... the games most overrated coach.
Wow. Big call on the coach. Who do you think should be coaching you?

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Big call on the coach. Who do you think should be coaching you?
Not Robinson. The Roosters have had a star studded squad that even Hasler couldn’t fuck up. In fact I’ll go as far to say that if Hasler was coach of the Roosters since 2013, they’d of won more than one title.
I don’t know what the fascination with Robinson is ?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I still think Roosters, Cowboys & Storm will be right in the mix come September.
I also think Penrith will be strong this season. Clearly out for 10 weeks may cost them a few games however.
Dragons? Top 8 for sure.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not looking bright for the blue V

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the cowboys are the top pick again, disinterested will turn off in semi finals

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the cowboys are the top pick again, disinterested will turn off in semi finals
Agree. The premiership will be fought out btw Melbourne , Cowboys and Saints.
The rung below are Penrith, Cronulla, Roosters ,Brisbane & dark horses Warriors.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Dragons will choke... they always start off good and fade away. Plus no injuries is helping them.

Roosters problem isn't on the field, it's in the dressing room. Too many egos and show ponies. They are a team of stars not a star team, and it's showed over and over again that such a setup doesn't work.
I refuse to believe there aren't senior players pissed off about how long serving Roosters players were shafted for Teddy and Cronk.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Dragons will choke... they always start off good and fade away. Plus no injuries is helping them.

Roosters problem isn't on the field, it's in the dressing room. Too many egos and show ponies. They are a team of stars not a star team, and it's showed over and over again that such a setup doesn't work.
I refuse to believe there aren't senior players pissed off about how long serving Roosters players were shafted for Teddy and Cronk.
Dragons have one of the best rosters in the game. They have pace, power, skill and smarts across the park. I can't see them choking this season, definitely going to finish in the 8, most likely top 4 imo.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Thing is, the penalties have turned the comp on its head. Its hard to gauge just how good or bad a team is because its all about taking opportunities not attrition atm.

I imagine the stop start nature of high penalty games would suit certain teams like the Warriors for example.

Cant see the penalties still at 25-30 a game deep into the finals.

As usual the Origin period and how well teams come through it will affect the top 4 and on that note I still expect the hardened teams, Sharks, Cowboys, Roosters and Storm to start hitting their straps if they arent already.

Warriors, Dragons, Tigers are the benchmark so far but they will fade and I only really expect the Dragons to perhaps be there amongst the final 4 teams.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thing is, the penalties have turned the comp on its head. Its hard to gauge just how good or bad a team is because its all about taking opportunities not attrition atm.

I imagine the stop start nature of high penalty games would suit certain teams like the Warriors for example.

Cant see the penalties still at 25-30 a game deep into the finals.

As usual the Origin period and how well teams come through it will affect the top 4 and on that note I still expect the hardened teams, Sharks, Cowboys, Roosters and Storm to start hitting their straps if they arent already.

Warriors, Dragons, Tigers are the benchmark so far but they will fade and I only really expect the Dragons to perhaps be there amongst the final 4 teams.

Great point and you might be right. One thing I will say, the first 4 rounds have been painful to watch with the incessant penalties. I don’t mind the play the ball crackdown but the inside the 10 is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.