Opinion Who’s your favourite Bulldog Player.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was a kid - I loved Greg Brentnall (Fullback - 1977 to 1983) But as I got older and he retired I loved Terry Lamb (Five Eighth - 1984 to 1996) Both decent blokes and could do anything on the field. Both Premiership winners too. Who’s your favourite players - from any Era????

Last edited:

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was a kid I was pretty seriously injured in a MVA and Peter Mortimer came to visit me in hospital. "Parrot" was already my favourite player and that sealed it for life.
Mick Ennis was my second favourite because he is a just a menace and my workmates will tell you that I am no different!
My current favourite would have to be Captain Jackson, but it's a pretty thin field.
Steve Folkes is the man that I think epitomised the Bulldog spirit more than any other and rank his contributions on and off the field above all others.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My Favorite ever is Turvey.
But I believe Baa was a better player.
Greatest Bulldog overall is Folkesy, not greatest player and not my favorite but Folksey hands down is Canterbury and has done it all, local junior and won grand finals as a player, trainer, conditioner, coach, covering 10 GF’s 79,80,84,85,86,88,94,95,98,2004 in some form or another.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Past forward and back.
Terry Lamb and David Gillespie
Not that long ago
Barba and sbw were both the biggest wow factors ever.
Special mentions, Morris boys, frank the tank, Nigel Vangana, Mason, Shreik, jason and Darren Smith.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Past forward and back.
Terry Lamb and David Gillespie
Not that long ago
Barba and sbw were both the biggest wow factors ever.
Special mentions, Morris boys, frank the tank, Nigel Vangana, Mason, Shreik, jason and Darren Smith.
listen to this link - cement Gillespie interview:-

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I don’t remember much about Lamb but I loved the Aura surrounding him. Pinnacle of the club.
Fav:
I loved Rod Silva- who was a fullback for us between 1995 and 2001 and Ben Sherwin who played with us 2001-2008
Current:
Luke Thompson
Most underrated:
Luke Mcdougall
Most mismanaged:
Kerrod Holland.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was a kid I was pretty seriously injured in a MVA and Peter Mortimer came to visit me in hospital. "Parrot" was already my favourite player and that sealed it for life.
Mick Ennis was my second favourite because he is a just a menace and my workmates will tell you that I am no different!
My current favourite would have to be Captain Jackson, but it's a pretty thin field.
Steve Folkes is the man that I think epitomised the Bulldog spirit more than any other and rank his contributions on and off the field above all others.
I remember when I was a kid Peter Mortimer used to draw and sell caricatures of players before games - at Belmore. He’s a nice bloke too.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was a kid - I loved Greg Brentnall (Fullback - 1977 to 1983) But as I got older and he retired I loved Terry Lamb (Five Eighth - 1984 to 1996) Both decent blokes and could do anything on the field. Both Premiership winners too. Who’s your favourite players - from any Era????
easy, the one and only Steve Mortimer by a country mile. He had skills that no other HB in the game has ever come close to, blistering acceleration to score solo tries or set them up from anywhere against any defence, regularly chip and regather, greatest cover defence of all time, great passing and kicking and leadership like no other. It's no coincidence that in the dogs 86 year history half of our 8 premierships were in Mortimer's years with the club.

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So many to choose from! I’m sure it’s an age thing, your favorites will be those that you looked up to when you were a kid (especially as the Dogs were at their brilliant best in the 80s).
For me it is Turvey Mortimer, and I loved Steve Gearin for his brilliant try in the 80 GF and his (mostly) reliable toe-poking goal kicking, including 6/6 in that GF. Brentnall of course, a fantastic all round player and set up Gearin’s try.
Later on I loved watching Ewan McGrady, a brilliant attacking half who could light up the field with a step and swerve, or a chip and chase.
I lament losing Thurston after our 2004 success...I remember watching him play in the centres against the Dragons in 2003, carving them up, and thinking this kid was going to be a superstar. Perhaps he would always have left our club and headed to the Cowboys, but poor recruitment and retention decisions from that time forward marked the beginning of a long decline in our fortunes.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Firstly I appreciate every Bulldog to ever put on a jersey whether they were good enough or not. If they weren't, it wasn't their fault they were selected. Exceptions would be Doug Laughton, Solomon Haumono, SOB Williams, Ryan Tandy, Ben Barba & Ben Hannant.

There have been SO MANY fabulous players & I have a lifetime of fond memories from this once great club who will soon rise again. It's like picking your favourite child in a way, but I always loved Geoff Robinson (player 427 not 61) for his ability to be tough & a ball player, Terry Lamb could do anything & to play 415 first class games at that time was amazing. I always had a soft spot for Steve Folkes. Came to the club as a 5/8, but with Garry Hughes ahead of him developed into a lock, second rower & finally hooker showed great utility value & toughness far above his weight. So tragic that he died at such a young age - it still saddens me when I think of it. I could rattle off another hundred favourites to be honest & they all seem like family.

707_2Belmore

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have more past than current fav players.
Silva, Price, Hetherington, Vagana, Mason, SBW.

Current crop would be Manu & Schoupp. Love their enthusiasm and energy