Who’s better Montoya or Crichton?

Malla

Reaction score
I think it will have to come down to their defence. Montoya is an absolute farce on that right edge and has absolutely no idea so I think it would be Crichton's to lose tbh.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can I just say I think they're both average?

I think Montoya could still be an okay winger, and was tremendously down on confidence in the games he did play this year. He has a lot of errors in his game (and I am not talking errors in the sense of knock-ons) - but just his ability to read the game, but also - and very importantly - has a habit of making the wrong decision.

On Crichton - I have not seen anything to suggest how high his ceiling could be. He just seems.. average? Like a void-filling, needed for the sake of filling a squad-type player?

He would of not have played first grade if Penrith did not have the plethora of backline injuries last year (Blake, Mansour, Edwards etc). And I am certainly hoping we were tracking him before then, because nothing he has shown in FG screams to me that he is going to walk into our number 2/5 jersey.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay will start Montoya next year in my opinion.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crichton purely for the fact of starting sets from dummy half scoots. I think he is a strong runner but he is shorter and could be a liability from cross field kicks. For team balance id prob leave hoppa at fullback for this season and play meaney on the wing. Rather than chuck him straight in the deep end with a inexperienced spine, he can bide his time on the wing and get used to fg like chooks did with RTS (not comparing the players rather the coaching strategy)
I like to see young fullbacks start first grade out on the wing too. It’s been proven many a time. Build their confidence to a stage they feel they belong in first grade then switch them to fullback. Meaney fits this bill

Reactions: GDR

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
anybody replacing perrett on that wing was going to look bad, perrett was excellent

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not confident with either based on this year.
Montoya had been less convincing tho. Got dominated by defence when taking hit up. They stopped him in his track and the team couldnt build any momentum. Its like everyone get 6 tackles in a set and we only get 5. 4 if we get french next year.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The far majority of his tries in that highlights reel all he had to do was fall over the line. Very rare did he beat a defender.
I agree with you. I still think though that he’s a better and safer option than Crichton. I may be wrong though. Just my opinion.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to see young fullbacks start first grade out on the wing too. It’s been proven many a time. Build their confidence to a stage they feel they belong in first grade then switch them to fullback. Meaney fits this bill
i agree with everything you said except the last 4 words.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Bring Meany into the fold on the wing. He has more football brains than both combined. Rotate with Hoppa like the Roosters did with RTS.

Reactions: GDR

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring Meany into the fold on the wing. He has more football brains than both combined. Rotate with Hoppa like the Roosters did with RTS.
From mine, if Meaney is to play FB it’s exactly like you suggested...drip feed him into the position. I know he’s played there a few games with Newcastle but I wasn’t impressed. He needs to be eased in over time until he’s confident and safe out the back.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully nither. Hopefully Obunkbur can pull his finger out and stop being a pussy. Because his got all the physical attributes.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Montoya played well late in 2017, not sure whats happened since. He hasnt kicked on. He showed potential at one point. Injury? Havent seen enough of Crichton to know, and how he blends into the team will matter most. So i dunno. Just hope whichever gets the nod that they play well. Its possible they both will at some point.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Montoya is a good winger. He failed a bit last year because he tried to cover for Hopoates defensive liabilities.
I would like to see Montoya as winger with CHN playing centre inside him.
You’re dead right spot on with Hoppa’s defence. Hoppa has terrible defense in the centres. I’m not sticking up for Montoya, I think he’s average, but the players defending on the inside made Montoya look shit.

Hoppa is a fullback everyday of he week. He’s a solid first grader and plays well, he’s just not gifted with speed.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s actually a good idea to be honest. Wouldn’t mind putting Meaney the wing, he’s tall and he’s got pace to burn. It will build up his confidence before throwing him the no.1 jumper.

1.Hoppa
2.Meaney
3.???
4.Holland
5.Smith

We need a centre, badly

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Meaney
Crichton / Montoya
Hopa