Who’s a Fan of the Top Shelf.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve heard of Heaven Hill mate but can’t say I’ve ever tried it, what did you think of it ?
It's a tough one, because they have a lot of brands in their banner. Along with their main HH brand, they have Elijah Craig, Larceny, Evan Williams. They are all very very nice.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that how Gentleman Jack got its name?

Top drop.and one of my favourites.
Yes mate I’d say that’s exactly where they came up with the name ..

Gentleman Jack is different from the regular Jack Daniel's No.7 as it is filtered twice through maple charcoal - once before maturation and once after. It is also slightly older at release, being around 5 years of age. Jack Daniel had experimented with double and even triple filtration of his whiskey but the practice was not started commercially until 1988, when Gentleman Jack first went into full scale production. It is a unique whiskey as no other in the world follows this double filtration process.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a tough one, because they have a lot of brands in their banner. Along with their main HH brand, they have Elijah Craig, Larceny, Evan Williams. They are all very very nice.
I do actually have the below Elijah Craig in my collection but I haven’t opened it as they’re not generally easy to get, l haven’t really tried many bourbons from HH to be honest ..

Image1683428304.362808.jpg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who doesn’t like a top shelf Tequila !

Actually this one’s not so top shelf but it’s a very good tequila ..

It’s a brand that most people have probably seen and drank and there’s some very interesting facts about this Tequila ..

They named the tequila after the year (1800) when the Mexicans first perfected the distilling and ageing process and it’s made from 100% Blue Weber Agave ..

Image1683430735.424245.jpg
Image1683430742.323420.jpg

Each bottle is individually batch numbered.

They shaped the bottle in honour of the Mayan pyramids.

Their ribbon on the logo is adorned in Mexican with their brand values: translated it means : hard work, passion, honesty.

They created the lid on purpose so you can use it as a make-shift shot glass if need be.

The silver isn’t aged but it is still made in the old hand built stone ovens and filtered to create the clear silver colour

Image1683429708.793572.jpg

Reposado in mexican means rested, so this one is aged in oak barrels for around 6 months and not as filtered so you get the oaky barrel flavour.

Image1683429867.624776.jpg

Enejo is double distilled and aged for over a year in French and American oak barrels giving it that dark richer colour and taste ..

Image1683429986.491013.jpg

Cristilino is Enejo but aged twice as long in the same French American oak barrels but then filtered to bring it back to that Cristalino colour, this gives it the flavours of Enejo but the smoothness of a Blanco.

Image1683430212.433294.jpg

Just some interesting facts … if you like tequila it’s interesting to know the history and the differences when trying to choose a bottle ..

Last edited:

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am a Scotch man myself, mainly from the Islay Reigon. Although I did start in the Blended world of JWs, Chivus etc.

I generally wont spend less than $90 for a bottle and max out around the $180 mark, so unsure if that classifies as top shelf.

Lagavulin 16yr old is my absolute go to and has to be one of the best drops. Laphroig and Caol Ila are also brilliant tasting notes.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a Scotch man myself, mainly from the Islay Reigon. Although I did start in the Blended world of JWs, Chivus etc.

I generally wont spend less than $90 for a bottle and max out around the $180 mark, so unsure if that classifies as top shelf.

Lagavulin 16yr old is my absolute go to and has to be one of the best drops. Laphroig and Caol Ila are also brilliant tasting notes.
Mate I’d say you’d be finding $90 to $180 bottles of scotch on the top shelf ..

I’m not huge on scotch … I’d be interested in some pictures on what your spending $180 on

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I prefer a good Islay (pronounced eye-la) single malt. The peaty, smoky flavour of Laphroaig (pronounced Laffroyg) suits my taste.
Their Triple Wood is a wonderful whisky, and the CX cask is tops. Both are expensive, so I normally buy the 10 year old, which is a very nice drop for the price.

Also like the Talisker 10yo from the Isle of Skye. A bit smoother if you don't like a lot of peat. I prefer it to their "Storm".

Redlands distillery, north of Hobart makes a very nice whisky. It's the only Aussie whisky that suits my palate. Not cheap, and only in 500ml bottles.

Incidentally, the ageing doesn't matter. A 2yo whisky can be equally as good as a 10 or 15yo. It's all in the fermenting process and the barrel.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

Lagavulin is a good whisky.

Laphroaig is my absolute favourite. If you ever get a chance to try their CX Cask it is a wonderful drop. The Triple Wood is a favourite of mine, but hard to find at times, and not cheap. Talisker from the Isle of Skye is also a good whisky.

I started drinking whisky in Scotland, back in the 70s, and progressed from Chivas to Highland Park, The Macallan, then onto the smoky, peaty Islay whiskies.

When I was a tour guide in Switzerland, a barman in the Zurich hotel we stayed at taught me the proper way to drink a really good scotch.
Take a small piece of dark chocolate (80-90% cocoa), only about the size of a fingernail. Let it melt on your tongue. Rinse out your mouth with fresh water, then your taste buds are ready to experience the whisky. Works for good red wine, too.

I loved taking guests down to the bar on our first night, to see their reaction as I walked in without saying a word, and he placed a Laphroaig CX Cask, plate of small pieces of dark chocolate, and a glass of water on the counter for me. What was even better was that the tour company paid for it.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Carribean Rums (Appleton Joy, Zacapa XO, Diplomatico etc), Cognac (Big houses mainly), Whisky (Highland Park, Glenfiddich, Laphoraig) are my goto ones.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes you all drink alcohol. You’re all so cool and socially accepted.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thought I’d kick this thread of to see if there are any fellow Bulldogs fans out there that like a drop of the finer stuff.

I’m talking Top Shelf … Bourbon … Tequila … Scotch ..

Not your regular mixer types that you have with coke, orange juice, dry and such, I’m talking the good gear, sipping bourbons, tequilas, & scotch’s.

While I’m known to indulge in a glass or two, … I’m also a big fan of the history behind most of the top shelf brands …

Brands like this Rock Hill Farms Bourbon below from the previously named OFC distillery, now Buffalo Trace in Kentucky, distilled by master distiller Elmer T. Lee in honour of Albert Blanton who spent most of his life preserving the tradition of handcrafted Bourbon, below brands are becoming harder to find as they’re now being bought by collectors and therefore appreciating in value every year, I’ve been collecting for a few years now and my small collection has already doubled in value.

View attachment 69887

Kentucky Bourbon’s are my favourite to drink, the history of how it was originally made, through to prohibition, how brands like Pappy Van Winkle, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey and so many others came about is an awesome read, the history is truely inspiring as is the history of tequila and Scotch.

So I thought I’d drop in this thread here, see who else likes not just the drink but also the history, as I’m sure there’s a lot more I could learn from fellow connoisseurs.
Thought you were talking about sticking pills up your ass! Lol

Last edited:

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lagavulin is a good whisky.

Laphroaig is my absolute favourite. If you ever get a chance to try their CX Cask it is a wonderful drop. The Triple Wood is a favourite of mine, but hard to find at times, and not cheap. Talisker from the Isle of Skye is also a good whisky.

I started drinking whisky in Scotland, back in the 70s, and progressed from Chivas to Highland Park, The Macallan, then onto the smoky, peaty Islay whiskies.

When I was a tour guide in Switzerland, a barman in the Zurich hotel we stayed at taught me the proper way to drink a really good scotch.
Take a small piece of dark chocolate (80-90% cocoa), only about the size of a fingernail. Let it melt on your tongue. Rinse out your mouth with fresh water, then your taste buds are ready to experience the whisky. Works for good red wine, too.

I loved taking guests down to the bar on our first night, to see their reaction as I walked in without saying a word, and he placed a Laphroaig CX Cask, plate of small pieces of dark chocolate, and a glass of water on the counter for me. What was even better was that the tour company paid for it.
Definately taking that chocolate tip, thanks!!

Laphroig Tripple Wood was my first exposure to Islay Whiskys and a brilliant drop.

Laphroig 10 is always a brilliant bang for buck scotch too.

I currently have a Talisker drop from duty free and really enjoy it

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought you were talking about sticking pills up your ass! Lol
I don’t know how your mind went from a thread on top shelf liquor to arrive at someone sticking pills up their ass ‍♂

But if one was to say, do that, what would you recommend they use & what results should they be expecting ?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not yet, any day now I would expect. I live regional so it can take a week or so for things to turn up.
Drop a comment after you’ve tried it, let me know what you think ..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Definately taking that chocolate tip, thanks!!

Laphroig Tripple Wood was my first exposure to Islay Whiskys and a brilliant drop.

Laphroig 10 is always a brilliant bang for buck scotch too.

I currently have a Talisker drop from duty free and really enjoy it
I don't miss the overseas travelling, now that I've given up the tours in Switzerland, but I miss the duty free for whiskies like the CX cask.
Where I travel now, through outback Qld, the hotels out there don't stock anything but Johhny Walker Red or Black.
In some towns they are prohibited from serving it neat due to problems with alcohol.

There is a distillery in Cairns that makes a palatable whisky. Can't remember its name.