Who’s a Fan of the Top Shelf.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I’d kick this thread of to see if there are any fellow Bulldogs fans out there that like a drop of the finer stuff.

I’m talking Top Shelf … Bourbon … Tequila … Scotch ..

Not your regular mixer types that you have with coke, orange juice, dry and such, I’m talking the good gear, sipping bourbons, tequilas, & scotch’s.

While I’m known to indulge in a glass or two, … I’m also a big fan of the history behind most of the top shelf brands …

Brands like this Rock Hill Farms Bourbon below from the previously named OFC distillery, now Buffalo Trace in Kentucky, distilled by master distiller Elmer T. Lee in honour of Albert Blanton who spent most of his life preserving the tradition of handcrafted Bourbon, below brands are becoming harder to find as they’re now being bought by collectors and therefore appreciating in value every year, I’ve been collecting for a few years now and my small collection has already doubled in value.

View attachment 69887

Kentucky Bourbon’s are my favourite to drink, the history of how it was originally made, through to prohibition, how brands like Pappy Van Winkle, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey and so many others came about is an awesome read, the history is truely inspiring as is the history of tequila and Scotch.

So I thought I’d drop in this thread here, see who else likes not just the drink but also the history, as I’m sure there’s a lot more I could learn from fellow connoisseurs.

Last edited:

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I’d kick this thread of to see if there are any fellow Bulldogs fans out there that like a drop of the finer stuff.

Not your regular mixer types that you have with coke, orange juice, dry and such, I’m talking the good gear, sipping bourbons, tequilas, & scotches.

While I’m known to indulge in a glass or two, … I’m also a big fan in knowing the history behind these top shelf brands …

Brands like this Rock Hill Farms Bourbon below from the previously named OFC distillery, now Buffalo Trace in Kentucky, distilled by master distiller Elmer T. Lee in honour of Albert Blanton who spent most of his life preserving the tradition of handcrafted Bourbon, below brands are becoming harder to find as they’re now being bought by collectors and therefore appreciating in value every year, I’ve been collecting for a few years now and my small collection has already double in value.

View attachment 69887

Bourbon is my favourite to drink, the history of how it was originally made, through to prohibition, how brands like Pappy Van Winkle, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey and so many others came about is an awesome read, the history is truely inspiring. Such is the history of tequila and Scotch.

So I thought I’d drop in this thread here, see who else likes not just the drink but also the history, as I’m sure there’s a lot more I could learn from fellow connoisseurs.
I'm definitely more about quality over quantity these days. I'm mainly a beer and bourbon guy, but have started getting into a bit of Gin lately as well. It's an expensive hobby though, anything over about 90 proof in Australia is ridiculously priced. None the less, we got some decent bottles of Old Forester, Old Grand Dad and Blanton's going at the moment. Also got a Four Roses, which I really really like.

rose.jpg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm definitely more about quality over quantity these days. I'm mainly a beer and bourbon guy, but have started getting into a bit of Gin lately as well. It's an expensive hobby though, anything over about 90 proof in Australia is ridiculously priced. None the less, we got some decent bottles of Old Forester, Old Grand Dad and Blanton's going at the moment. Also got a Four Roses, which I really really like.

View attachment 69904
Nice mate … if you like your Bourbon this here is a very good one, it rates right up there with some of the very expensive Bourbons and I can generally pick it up on special for around $70, thoroughly recommend you give it a try. …. Check out that rich caramel like colour.

There’s a few cheaper Woodford Reserves, make sure you get this Double Oaked one ..

Image1682927773.053041.jpg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

View attachment 69904
I’m also partial to the roses myself, these are 2 I have in my collection ..

Have you asked Dr Google how it got its name, interesting read.

Image1682927960.784432.jpg

Image1682927975.388044.jpg

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice mate … if you like your Bourbon this here is a very good one, it rates right up there with some of the very expensive Bourbons and I can generally pick it up on special for around $70, thoroughly recommend you give it a try. …. Check out that rich caramel like colour.

There’s a few cheaper Woodford Reserves, make sure you get this Double Oaked one ..

View attachment 69988
I just ordered myself a bottle on your recommendation. I've been looking for something new to put in my liquor cabinet.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered myself a bottle on your recommendation. I've been looking for something new to put in my liquor cabinet.
Woodford Reserve has the prestigious mantle of being pretty much the oldest brand of Bourbon ever, like it goes way back before prohibition when they were distilling Bourbon in old tubs behind the wagon trains dating back to 1812.

Most bourbon experts rate that Woodford Reserve double oaked right up there with $1000 dollar bottles so I think you’ll enjoy it.

One small piece of ice to release the oak barrel flavours and you’ll have found a new best friend, especially at that price.

Let me also introduce you to this one, aged 7/8 years and just over $70 is good value, it’s bottled at its original 125 barrel entry proof.

Image1682994634.050711.jpg

Last edited:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

Not your regular mixer types that you have with coke, orange juice, dry and such, I’m talking the good gear, sipping bourbons, tequilas, & scotches.

While I’m known to indulge in a glass or two, … I’m also a big fan in knowing the history behind these top shelf brands …

Brands like this Rock Hill Farms Bourbon below from the previously named OFC distillery, now Buffalo Trace in Kentucky, distilled by master distiller Elmer T. Lee in honour of Albert Blanton who spent most of his life preserving the tradition of handcrafted Bourbon, below brands are becoming harder to find as they’re now being bought by collectors and therefore appreciating in value every year, I’ve been collecting for a few years now and my small collection has already double in value.

View attachment 69887

Bourbon is my favourite to drink, the history of how it was originally made, through to prohibition, how brands like Pappy Van Winkle, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey and so many others came about is an awesome read, the history is truely inspiring. Such is the history of tequila and Scotch.

I saw this thread and immediately thought hookers. Imagine my disappointment.

I'll see myself out.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two unopened bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue Label and a Johnnie Walker Swing 1820 as well as numerous other bottles of wine and spirits etc all unopened and received when I was in advertising over the years.
The problem is, I rarely ever drink, hate beer and if I do have the rare tipple it's either Penfold's club port or a touch of Bailey's in my coffee...

And I have used Hennessy to cook with...
I'm such a monstrous pleb!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s one for the history buffs.

Most people know the Jack Daniel’s name, bit different to what I generally like as it’s made in Tennessee and known as a whiskey, where I’m more a Kentucky bourbon fan.

Most drink the No.7 massed produced non-aged mixer JD brand with coke or something, mostly because it’s a trendy drink and synonymous with cool.

What most people don’t know is why it’s synonymous with cool.

Legend has it that way back in the 40’s Jackie Gleeson was out having a drink with Frank Sinatra, later in the evening Jackie said to Frank, let me buy you a gentleman’s drink, came back with 2 glasses, Frank took a sip and said “what the hell is that”, Jackie replied, that my friend is Jack Daniel’s Tennessee whisky. A love affair was born that night between Frank and Jack Daniel’s and he rarely drank anything else.

Frank even got in touch with the local JD salesman to deliver it to his door, and both eventually became life long friends, plus he organised the Jack Daniel’s club which pretty much evolved into the Rat Pack ..

One night mid to late 40’s Frank was on stage having a sip between songs and someone yelled out, whatcha drinking tonight Frank, Frank replied “same as I drink every night” this here is a true gentleman’s drink, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whisky.

Well sales practically quadrupled overnight, if the man who personified cool was drinking Jack Daniel’s, it had to be one cool drink right.

And overnight Jack Daniel’s became an instant smash hit.

The rest is history.

Back then it wasn’t a mixer drink, it was properly aged sipping whisky, they’ve had to change it and evolve over the years to keep up with demand.

You can still buy the old traditional Jack Daniel’s which is now bottled as Frank Sinatra Select, and is distilled and aged exactly how it was back in the day when Frank fell in love with it, but it’s pricey now, I picked mine up a few years back for just over $100, now it sells for around $250/$300 dollars per litre bottle.

Image1683000503.212495.jpg

Image1683000512.108498.jpg

This is what I mean when I say most top shelf bourbons, Tequilas, Scotch’s and whiskeys have a really cool story behind them, the more you learn about them the more you tend to appreciate the drink as your drinking it ..

Last edited:

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

View attachment 69988
Yeah mate, I've had a few bottles of that. I'm a big Woodford fan. Are you a fan of Heaven Hill's work?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I had a stray following me around the streets last night.
She sat down with me and put a bottle of wine in my hand.
For a quick moment I thought to myself have a sip and sink myself to her level?

but I told her she was being a bad influence on me and she took the bottle away!
Why can’t I ever get a sober stray bitch to follow me around for once? Lol

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can appreciate a decent single malt. I’m not sure about “top shelf” though.
something like Glenfiddich 15yr single malt $100/bottle.
IMG_6409.jpeg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can appreciate a decent single malt. I’m not sure about “top shelf” though.
something like Glenfiddich 15yr single malt $100/bottle.
View attachment 70320
Mate that fiddy is a good drop, and when you consider it takes 15 years to age $100 is good value ..

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was a scotch hater the first 12 years of legal drinking age - but have grown a fondness for a good single malt over the last few years.

I actually had platinum JW last year - for a mixed blend… all I can say is fuck me. That shit is good

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mate that fiddy is a good drop, and when you consider it takes 15 years to age $100 is good value ..
Admittedly I haven’t drunk too much that’s more expensive, but considering there are other scotch’s that go for $300-$1k/bottle, I can’t imagine any of them being that much better.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Here’s one for the history buffs.

Most people know the Jack Daniel’s name, bit different to what I generally like as it’s made in Tennessee and known as a whiskey, where I’m more a Kentucky bourbon fan.

Most drink the No.7 massed produced non-aged mixer JD brand with coke or something, mostly because it’s a trendy drink and synonymous with cool.

What most people don’t know is why it’s synonymous with cool.

Legend has it that way back in the 40’s Jackie Gleeson was out having a drink with Frank Sinatra, later in the evening Jackie said to Frank, let me buy you a gentleman’s drink, came back with 2 glasses, Frank took a sip and said “what the hell is that”, Jackie replied, that my friend is Jack Daniel’s Tennessee whisky. A love affair was born that night between Frank and Jack Daniel’s and he rarely drank anything else.

Frank even got in touch with the local JD salesman to deliver it to his door, and both eventually became life long friends, plus he organised the Jack Daniel’s club which pretty much evolved into the Rat Pack ..

One night mid to late 40’s Frank was on stage having a sip between songs and someone yelled out, whatcha drinking tonight Frank, Frank replied “same as I drink every night” this here is a true gentleman’s drink, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whisky.

Well sales practically quadrupled overnight, if the man who personified cool was drinking Jack Daniel’s, it had to be one cool drink right.

And overnight Jack Daniel’s became an instant smash hit.

The rest is history.

Back then it wasn’t a mixer drink, it was properly aged sipping whisky, they’ve had to change it and evolve over the years to keep up with demand.

You can still buy the old traditional Jack Daniel’s which is now bottled as Frank Sinatra Select, and is distilled and aged exactly how it was back in the day when Frank fell in love with it, but it’s pricey now, I picked mine up a few years back for just over $100, now it sells for around $250/$300 dollars per litre bottle.

View attachment 70094

View attachment 70095

This is what I mean when I say most top shelf bourbons, Tequilas, Scotch’s and whiskeys have a really cool story behind them, the more you learn about them the more you tend to appreciate the drink as your drinking it ..
Is that how Gentleman Jack got its name?

Top drop.and one of my favourites.