White privilege

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
out of curiosity, who on the kennel thinks this is a real thing in Australia?

I’m a white guy, I don’t feel very privileged at all.

But I’m just one guy lol.

My observations is everything seems all fair all things considered with concessions to the indigenous to help them out a bit.

It’s the off season guys
Need a talking point to sink my teeth into.

Keep it respectful please but honest

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol how long until this thread gets shut down?

In a nutshell those who claim white privilege exists are using it as a code word for I'm racist and I especially hate white people!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The people harping on about white privilege are the privileged ones and I would like to see them spend a day in the shoes of the common man

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol how long until this thread gets shut down?

In a nutshell those who claim white privilege exists are using it as a code word for I'm racist and I especially hate white people!
I use to think that, and no doubt it’s the case for many,

Is there Chinese privilege in China?
Is there Iranian privilege in Iran
Is there Indian privilege in India
And so on and so on

I’d like to think comparative to other nations around the world we Australians are nailing it when it comes to equality.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Furthermore if white privilege were real. Wouldn't cracker of eliminated every person of colour and never allowed any person of colour to immigrate to countries which are overall white?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I still can't see this thread staying open.
Maybe you should create a thread smart,rich n successful Asians?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

My observations is everything seems all fair all things considered with concessions to the indigenous to help them out a bit.

It’s the off season guys

I don't see it as being a genuine thing these days. Not in Australia anyway. I think things have actually gone the other way with regards to Aboriginal people getting better benefits to study and with some jobs being marketed as being for Aboriginal and Torres strait Islanders. I've never seen a job advertisement listed as being for white Australian applicants only.

If anything, there's privilege for the already wealthy. I've worked at private schools and know that the level of help available for struggling students is a big advantage. The sporting programs available shit all over those in the public education system. And when it comes time to go on to higher education institutions, it's hugely helpful to be in a position where it's already paid for by wealthy family.

I can see that plenty of people near the poverty line have a tough task elevating themselves above it. But this applies to everyone. Our public education system has dropped in standard since I was a kid. And the statistics tell us that the people of this country have less disposable income now even if they're in full time jobs. This flows through and effectively makes it more difficult to establish small business given that luxury items or services have changed in definition. Necessary things like electricity etc now take up more of people's wages than at any stage in Australian history. But when past governments privatised them that was bound to happen.

So white privilege is just a catchphrase to me. The level of wealth you are born into has a much greater impact on the privilege that you have.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see it as being a genuine thing these days. Not in Australia anyway. I think things have actually gone the other way with regards to Aboriginal people getting better benefits to study and with some jobs being marketed as being for Aboriginal and Torres strait Islanders. I've never seen a job advertisement listed as being for white Australian applicants only.

If anything, there's privilege for the already wealthy. I've worked at private schools and know that the level of help available for struggling students is a big advantage. The sporting programs available shit all over those in the public education system. And when it comes time to go on to higher education institutions, it's hugely helpful to be in a position where it's already paid for by wealthy family.

I can see that plenty of people near the poverty line have a tough task elevating themselves above it. But this applies to everyone. Our public education system has dropped in standard since I was a kid. And the statistics tell us that the people of this country have less disposable income now even if they're in full time jobs. This flows through and effectively makes it more difficult to establish small business given that luxury items or services have changed in definition. Necessary things like electricity etc now take up more of people's wages than at any stage in Australian history. But when past governments privatised them that was bound to happen.

So white privilege is just a catchphrase to me. The level of wealth you are born into has a much greater impact on the privilege that you have.
Wow
Yes
Exactly right.
Money buys power and opportunity more than race ever will in Australia
It’s exactly why the indigenous are getting more benefits.

A rich Asian kid will receive far more opportunity in Australia than a poor white kid

You are absolutely correct

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Just don't go mixing black and white together as I've stated before.

On their own a majority of white people are messed up.
On their own a majority of black people are messed up.

It isn't fair to produce racially confused offspring.

I used to go out with a mixed race girl.
The stories I heard from the black and white side of her family were atrocious!

You don't want a kid who is tanned with a torchlight glow and hates people of colour!
Well I'm speaking for myself on this one.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It’s the off season guys

I think white privilege is definitely a thing in America which people experience daily. The question is do non white people feel that they are disadvantaged because of who they are?
I think you’ll find if you asked 10 people you’d get 10 different answers.
I honestly believe Australia is one of the more fair places in the world to live and enjoy a middle class life. There’s still a big gap between the super rich but that’s the same everywhere

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I think white privilege is definitely a thing in America which people experience daily. The question is do non white people feel that they are disadvantaged because of who they are?
I honestly believe Australia is one of the more fair places in the world to live and enjoy a middle class life. There’s still a big gap between the super rich but that’s the same everywhere
What makes you think its real in America?
Morgan Freeman,Samuel L Jackson and Denzel Washington would heavily disagree with you.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wow
Yes
Exactly right.
Money buys power and opportunity more than race ever will in Australia
It’s exactly why the indigenous are getting more benefits.

A rich Asian kid will receive far more opportunity in Australia than a poor white kid

You are absolutely correct
One of the biggest morons I've ever met is the son of a successful real estate agent. He can barely spell, can't string a logical sentence together and couldn't solve a problem if his life depends on it. But his starting point in life has meant that he's already a home owner. He's walked into a good job in real estate and has no debt to worry about until daddy dies and he pisses everything away (I'm certain this will happen based on the advertising he did when he first stepped into the job. It seriously made me cringe.)

I've also known some bloody intelligent people who come from poor families that have had to work their asses off to make ends meet. Money is a big prison really. The world is a mess. The divide between rich and poor is massive and the political system we live under is unable to alter it.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
One of the biggest morons I've ever met is the son of a successful real estate agent. He can barely spell, can't string a logical sentence together and couldn't solve a problem if his life depends on it. But his starting point in life has meant that he's already a home owner. He's walked into a good job in real estate and has no debt to worry about until daddy dies and he pisses everything away (I'm certain this will happen based on the advertising he did when he first stepped into the job. It seriously made me cringe.)

I've also known some bloody intelligent people who come from poor families that have had to work their asses off to make ends meet. Money is a big prison really. The world is a mess. The divide between rich and poor is massive and the political system we live under is unable to alter it.
Lol are you working for Donald Sutherland like the movie horrible bosses?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

You are right again
I do design work for interior fit outs
I deal with people who seemingly have an endless supply of money
It’s amazing how little common sense they appear to have

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
You are right again
Bill Gates is a college drop out and one of the most successful men in the world.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A lot of people confuse working and middle class though. You aren't middle class unless you can retire today and have no worries about money for the rest of your life. People need to start looking at themselves as being working class but comfortable in terms of money instead of middle class. I read about a CEO of an American bank who retired to care for his disabled daughter. It took six years for his wealth to evaporate with the medical costs over there. Finances are a bit of a house of cards in many places in the world.

Medicare and the welfare system in this country insulates us from that. But the liberal government are continuing to work towards destroying both. Some people who think they're middle class fail to see that if this happens it may just pull some crucial cards out of their house. I personally don't get annoyed at people who live on welfare benefits. Our society should have evolved beyond the point where it's a case of natural selection. As humans we are in a position where we can support those who aren't fortunate enough to look after themselves. Nobody on welfare benefits lives the life they really want to, or the lotteries wouldn't be successful. But plenty of people are in a situation where they can't imagine falling to the point where they'll ever need to rely on the system to survive.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol are you working for Donald Sutherland like the movie horrible bosses?
I haven't seen the movie. I'll have to watch it.

You are right again
Unfortunately money is not attracted to intelligence magnetically. Common sense is not as common as the name implies.

Bill Gates is a college drop out and one of the most successful men in the world.
He did drop out of college to focus on an idea that made him successful though. Intelligence and a moderate portion of luck took him a long way.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I haven't seen the movie. I'll have to watch it.

Unfortunately money is not attracted to intelligence magnetically. Common sense is not as common as the name implies.

He did drop out of college to focus on an idea that made him successful though. Intelligence and a moderate portion of luck took him a long way.
Watch horrible bosses. Your bosses son is portrayed by Colin Farrell in this movie.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Iv had the privilege of many white girls if that’s what you mean?