Whisky Appreciation Thread

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
My personal favourite is Laphroaig CX Cask, and their Triple Wood. These are Islay (pronounced eye-la) whiskies, and very strong with peat smoke and a hint of salt air.

For every day drinking I like Talisker from the isle of Skye.

Anyone wanting to try a whisky that is superior to Johnny Walker red would do well to start with Highland Park from the Orkneys, before progressing to the more powerful Islay whiskies.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My personal favourite is Laphroaig CX Cask, and their Triple Wood. These are Islay (pronounced eye-la) whiskies, and very strong with peat smoke and a hint of salt air.

Anyone wanting to try a whisky that is superior to Johnny Walker red would do well to start with Highland Park from the Orkneys, before progressing to the more powerful Islay whiskies.

Not a fan of islay whisky. They always seem to be extremely peaty

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Aye someone with matured palate. Islay whisky is unreal. Laphroaig Triple Wood is an unreal drop but I do find myself heading back to Laphroaig 10.

Will be trying Caol Isla once the Chrissy bonus clears.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Aye someone with matured palate. Islay whisky is unreal. Laphroaig Triple Wood is an unreal drop but I do find myself heading back to Laphroaig 10.

Will be trying Caol Isla once the Chrissy bonus clears.
When I was hosting tours in Switzerland, the barman at the Swissotel in Zurich would always serve me Laphroaig CX cask with a glass of water and a plate of small pieces of 90% cocoa chocolate. He insisted that good whisky is best appreciated if you put a small piece of dark, unsweetened chocolate on your tongue, let it melt, then use the water to wash away the chocolate residue from your tongue - and now your taste buds are ready to appreciate the whisky. It does work.

I like Laphroaig 10, but for me the Talisker is just a tad better for the price. I used to get the CX Cask duty free, as it is one of the few whiskies that are cheaper to buy duty free than at Dan Murphys, but I'm not travelling overseas any more, so Triple Wood is my special drink.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of islay whisky. They always seem to be extremely peaty
They are very powerful, and not to everyone's taste.

You might like the Speyside Aberlour A'Bunadh; it tastes like Christmas Pudding.