Where were you 10 Years Ago this weekend ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
when you heard that Pay, Smith, Dymock & McCracken announced they were going back to the NRL and joining Parramatta !!.

It is 10 years ago this weekend that this happened. We played Illawarra in the Saturday afternoon game and later that night the players told coach Anderson that they had signed with the NRL.

I first read about in the Monday Daily Telegraph. It was the front page story. I was on my way to Uni at the time and remember feeling absolutely gutted.

For those youngsters out there, it would be equivalent to losing Mason, SBW, Ryan and Tonga at the same time and all of them signing with the Roosters.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I remember this happening but I don't remember what i was doing exactly.

I remember being completely gutted like you mentioned though and feeling like the world would end.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah I was gutted

but the Bulldogs went on to win the Premiership that year which was great for Lambs meant to be last year,
But I remember throughout the Court Cases of the ARL and Super League and when they split in 2 it caused me to not watch league for 2 and half years

DJ1

Ninjadillo
Reaction score
By the pool on Daydream Island drinking cocktails.

Spenno

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't remember where i was but i remember being a very pissed off young man. Dymock and Jason Smith and Dean Pay were champs, and for them to go to Parramatta of all teams really ate me up.

Winning the premiership eased a little of that pain of course. Just like winning this year will ease the pain of us losing all these early games.

Carn the Doggies!!!!!

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My daughter was doing work experience with the Bulldogs when all the Superleague stuff was going on she had to leave the dressing rooms a couple of times while meetings were being held. She also said McCraken came in on a new motorbike that he bragged superleague was paying for.

bdogfan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I remember they played the Auckland Warriors At Parramatta Stadium on Friday night and got flogged - I thought it was the end at that time of the

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
On my way to play baseball on the saturday morning, I heard it on the radio. I was dirty on them. The next week I went to a game at parra stadium where they got flogged (cant remember who they played). Left 10 minutes before full time to go to kicks nightclub so I could get blind on $1 drinks. Those were the days!! Forgave Jim Dymock after the blinder he had in the Grand final.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember the feeling of absolute abandonment that our stars would just walk away from their team without a second thought. Not that I was convinced that superleague was the right decision, but Bulldogs always stood by each other. This was nothing less than treachery. The exceptions to all rules by the NRL to keep players in their comp was nothing short of disgusting. It made our loss of points for salary cap breaches pale into insignificance.

Flew up to Uluru on GF day with a Qantas crew who were waving their Manly colours all through the plane. Didn't go to see the Rock until the next day; we just sat in the motel room watching the Dogs give Manly the hiding of a lifetime. I remember Bozo Fulton saying after the game that Manly would have won by plenty except that his players were tackled short of the tryline instead of being able to score. He seemed to think that this was unfair play by the Dogs.

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
bulldogs_chick16 said:
i was 6 so i cant remember where i was probley at home lol
lol yeah me too i was six.

Timyone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
that was only my second year as a bulldogs supporter
but the super league put a big gap in my supporting nrl. didnt turn up to another game for a long time after that

Status
Not open for further replies.