When is a junior not a junior? Contentious Roosters question divides Gus and Gallen.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Gus so obviously correct and Gallen so obviously wrong lol.

The clubs with no catchment growth areas like Panthers, Tigers, Parra, Broncs have, can't just sit around hoping that their suburbs will suddenly once again become satellite population centres for young families like they were when NRL clubs were first established.

Just look at our club as the best example of how not to do junior recruitment ala Des and Greenberg.

Eventually Sharks will be hit with changing population demographics as well and hard head knuckle draggers will be complaining about their lack of youngsters and they too will have to heavily implement 15-16 junior development from all over NSW and QLD.

Gallen is a dinosaur.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand where Paul is coming from, seems he just couldn't get his thoughts together - easts have no juniors- juniors are a critical part of the development process and easts have no care to invest in that.

Instead they wait till they see the fruits off other clubs investments and then buy those players that they believe may make it to the big stage.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get what Gal was trying to say, Roosters don’t have juniors comps 6-15yrs etc so how are they roosters juniors? (But they do have jnr teams in the South’s comp I believe?) But as Gus points out, if you take a raw boned athlete at 16yrs and develop him within the Roosters system, then that player becomes a developed player/junior.

Alex Hunter

Dog4Life
Reaction score
I understand where Paul is coming from, seems he just couldn't get his thoughts together - easts have no juniors- juniors are a critical part of the development process and easts have no care to invest in that.

Instead they wait till they see the fruits off other clubs investments and then buy those players that they believe may make it to the big stage.
And then they pay complete overs for them as it’s part of no salary cap. I believe Cordner’s contract as a 15-16 (thereabouts) year old was mind blowing!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I wish Gallen would shup up or get him off the show

He does'nt let Gus speak
Love it how Gus stops talking while Gal rants on and just sits there dismissively staring him down lol.

The show is becoming trash talk like NRLol360 and Gus seems to be increasingly fed up with the influence of Chammas' slanting it towards gossip hound territory.

We want insightful analysis of real league issues and game results not gossip.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Love it how Gus stops talking while Gal rants on and just sits there dismissively staring him down lol.

The show is becoming trash talk like NRLol360 and Gus seems to be increasingly fed up with the influence of Chammas' slanting it towards gossip hound territory.

We want insightful analysis of real league issues and game results not gossip.
U can see Gus has no time for Chammas and his journo mates

GALLEN missed the point Gould was trying to make

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
U can see Gus has no time for Chammas and his journo mates

GALLEN missed the point Gould was trying to make
Gallen was tied up in knots and not intelligent enough to admit he ran himself headlong into a dark alley with no escape :grinning:

Only good thing is it makes Gus look all the more forward thinking and smarter lol.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Man I don’t give a fk where the hell our players are playing between ages of 12-18. Sure it makes it a bit easier for the panthers etc but the roosters have shown that good scouts and money under the table are just as important

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get what Gallen is saying. The Roosters let other clubs sift & sort through tens of thousands of kids to find the ones that have enough talent in their opinion to make the NRL, take them away & shape them from there. If every club did what the Roosters did there would be no NRL. They are parasites.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Chammas is an absolute knob. The kind of person who pulls their pants down to their ankles when they take a piss

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've thought for years that the NRL should offer discounts on cap space if you develop a player from your junior comp. Recruiting a rep player at 16 with all the earmarks of NRL level talent (like a Sam Walker signing) shouldn't earn a discount. But if someone enters our system in a feeder side from the bush they would incur a reduced price for us or their club. Would reward clubs that developed juniors in bulk as much as they can and encourage clubs like the roosters to spend where it helps the game rather than just the roosters. Part of why I think we have key spine player shortages is because too few clubs develop talent now.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Phil Gould was 100% right in that argument.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chammas is an absolute knob. The kind of person who pulls their pants down to their ankles when they take a piss
Is that not normal?

May explain some of the weird looks I get at the urinals.