Opinion When Four doesn’t fit into two please explain

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
fuk me flannigan at hooker is the most stupid comment, he cant tackle in the middle at hooker, he struggles making up to 20 on a edge.
Easier to tackle in the middle then on the edge. Yes you make more tackles so therefore you need to handle the work increased work rate , but your not dealing with blokes with footwork or have several players running at you . Ie you don’t have to make many defensive decisions .

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You cant be competitive in this day and age with just 2 halves. If you sign SJ you need depth. When we had Foran every time he was injured we had no fuckin halves. I don't mind a bit of depth as long as the cap isn't fucked. I wonder if Flanagan could learn centre? his defense is about the only thing he offers... who knows might throw pass to his outside men every now and again
With the greatest respect please do not mention Flanagan and Centre in the same sentence ever again I’m begging you

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You cant be competitive in this day and age with just 2 halves. If you sign SJ you need depth. When we had Foran every time he was injured we had no fuckin halves. I don't mind a bit of depth as long as the cap isn't fucked. I wonder if Flanagan could learn centre? his defense is about the only thing he offers... who knows might throw pass to his outside men every now and again
Yup, ask Chooks how many halves you need...

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
fuk me flannigan at hooker is the most stupid comment, he cant tackle in the middle at hooker, he struggles making up to 20 on a edge.
He can learn how to tackle and put on a bit of size in the off season. Also, the older he gets the more size he will put on.
It is harder to tackle on an edge then in the middle.
Cook isn't bigger than him.
If the club can not attract a quality hooker or release Flanigan, then there is no harm playing him at hooker.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So we are on the verge of signing Shaun Johnston it seems word is two seasons for one million.

I’m concerned about what that means to the development of Jake averilo.
I think Jake is worth persisting with.

Now we have averilo,floppagain,Johnston and Burton possibly all playing for two spots.

Shouldn’t we have signed a hooker already?
You’re absolutely spot on mate. Jake is showing a mouth-watering amount of promise at halfback and just keeps improving each week. His composure and decision making has improved out of sight in the space of a month. Needs to be persisted with at #7 beyond this season. Best talent we’ve had in a decade, we need his hands on the ball as much as possible.

Johnson brings some experience but that’s about where it ends. He’s injury prone, well past his best, and there’s always been big question marks over his ability to game manage and deliver the goods when it counts most. Signing him on 500k/year as 32 and 33 year old in 2022/2023 will be a monumental mistake.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You’re absolutely spot on mate. Jake is showing a mouth-watering amount of promise at halfback and just keeps improving each week. His composure and decision making has improved out of sight in the space of a month. Needs to be persisted with at #7 beyond this season. Best talent we’ve had in a decade, we need his hands on the ball as much as possible.

Johnson brings some experience but that’s about where it ends. He’s injury prone, well past his best, and there’s always been big question marks over his ability to game manage and deliver the goods when it counts most. Signing him on 500k/year as 32 and 33 year old in 2022/2023 will be a monumental mistake.
Jake is improving as footballer, but he isn’t improving as a half back. He creates nothing for the other players and his kicking game has no variety or game sense. Don’t mistake his ability to run the footy really well as him developing into a top class half. Johnson is top class half back who kicks well and provides plenty of try assists. Avo is a brilliant individual but you need players in the halves who create for others . Avo will transition to full back and be brilliant there. Bring Johnson aboard for 2 years.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo will play FB if SJ comes over with SJ to mentor both Burton & Averillo, Averillo to shift back into the halves after SJ retires unless Avo kills it at FB.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Jake is improving as footballer, but he isn’t improving as a half back. He creates nothing for the other players and his kicking game has no variety or game sense. Don’t mistake his ability to run the footy really well as him developing into a top class half. Johnson is top class half back who kicks well and provides plenty of try assists. Avo is a brilliant individual but you need players in the halves who create for others . Avo will transition to full back and be brilliant there. Bring Johnson aboard for 2 years.
It sounds like you’ve marked a 20 year olds card in this position after just 4 games at halfback. I saw enough last week to know that he can develop into a very high quality half. He created space and passed when the time was right, he ran the ball when it was on, he kicked well (very sweet timer of his kicks). He was vocal. He’s learnt very fast and he’s got all the tools to work with. Needs to stay there. We’ve got Allen and Meaney who should be re-signed to fight out the fullback spot next year.

Signing Johnson is a regressive move for a number of reasons, and if it goes pear shaped can set us back another season or 2.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Avo
2. Jac
3. Naden
4. Schoupp
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. Johnson
Gun backline

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering how crap all our hookers have been for the past few years it's not as stupid as it first sounds. Plus all the defensive work will toughen him up. He's too slow and predictable for HB. Any decent HB would be a success as an attacking hooker as it is founded on passing skills, vision and kicking. Flanno is a failure at HB and there is no spot for him in the halves next year with Avo already a superior HB and Burton coming in. If he can't play hooker as well then it's clear he has to move on.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering how crap all our hookers have been for the past few years it's not as stupid as it first sounds. Plus all the defensive work will toughen him up. He's too slow and predictable for HB. Any decent HB would be a success as an attacking hooker as it is founded on passing skills, vision and kicking. Flanno is a failure at HB and there is no spot for him in the halves next year with Avo already a superior HB and Burton coming in. If he can't play hooker as well then it's clear he has to move on.
Yes, YES IT IS STUPID AS IT SOUNDS
Flanagan any where near first grade is stupid.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, YES IT IS STUPID AS IT SOUNDS
Flanagan any where near first grade is stupid.
Yes I don't rate him at all. But don't forget we have 2 halves in L + W that make Flanno look like Andrew Johns and he's on 450k so we have to utilise it somewhere in the team eventually. I call it the least worst option out of a list of very bad options when you've paid 450k/year for a reserve grader. So you either move him on and pay freight to another club, leave him to rot in reserve grade and you waste 450k, or you experiment him in a key position which has not been acceptably filled for the last 7 years or so.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I don't rate him at all. But don't forget we have 2 halves in L + W that make Flanno look like Andrew Johns and he's on 450k so we have to utilise it somewhere in the team eventually. I call it the least worst option out of a list of very bad options when you've paid 450k/year for a reserve grader. So you either move him on and pay freight to another club, leave him to rot in reserve grade and you waste 450k, or you experiment him in a key position which has not been acceptably filled for the last 7 years or so.
I think we let the club worry about what to do with him.