When did the Bulldogs go from Walter White to Heisenberg?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Can you define at what point the Dogs lost their soul?
Or do you believe it was a gradual degradation. Death be a thousand cuts, so to speak?

For me, it was the appointment of Raelene Castle. At this point, the board switched excellence and knowledge for the optics of political correct left wing politics.
it simply went downhill from there.
I’m sure I don’t have to explain the ****st*rm that followed her appointment, and the knock on repercussions we still feel today, but if someone does want that pointed out, hit the like button and ask me in the comments. But to me, that’s when we stopped being the ever successful good operators, like the Storm, to the Tigers, ups and down but more down.

a lot of people talked about the gang rapes in 2003, but to be honest the rape just brought us closer together. It alienated some potential néw fans, but I think to be honest that is more the demographic of the area than that instance.

the salary cap cheating was a hit but again, I think that brought us together through siege mentality and actually worked in our favour because then it’s stuck together and we won the year after.

Toddberg came in and he handled things in house and was an excellent operator at club level for us. When he left, we were finalists and grand finalists still.

I can’t blame castle. In some ways she’s just taking advantage of virtue politics. Good on her. We are the fools for putting the clown there. We have poisoned ourselves and I’ll be honest, I don’t know if we will ever recover,
I mean, we will have some success still, but I think the days of SUSTAINED success are over. We are more Manly and Tigers now than Melbourne and Souths.
As the biggest fan of the Bulldogs here, it hurts my heart.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Salary cap was when we first lost the respect of the league.
Then we allowed Mason and his mates to run around with massive egos and poor behaviour for far too long.
Then we got the spoon.
Then we betrayed Bullfrog by sacking his son mid-season.
Whatever we used to have that made us special, we’ve lost.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Or do you believe it was a gradual degradation. Death be a thousand cuts, so to speak?

For me, it was the appointment of Raelene Castle. At this point, the board switched excellence and knowledge for the optics of political correct left wing politics.
I’m sure I don’t have to explain the ****st*rm that followed her appointment, and the knock on repercussions we still feel today, but if someone does want that pointed out, hit the like button and ask me in the comments. But to me, that’s when we stopped being the ever successful good operators, like the Storm, to the Tigers, ups and down but more down.

a lot of people talked about the gang rapes in 2003, but to be honest the rape just brought us closer together. It alienated some potential néw fans, but I think to be honest that is more the demographic of the area than that instance.

the salary cap cheating was a hit but again, I think that brought us together through siege mentality and actually worked in our favour because then it’s stuck together and we won the year after.

Toddberg came in and he handled things in house and was an excellent operator at club level for us. When he left, we were finalists and grand finalists still.

I can’t blame castle. In some ways she’s just taking advantage of virtue politics. Good on her. We are the fools for putting the clown there. We have poisoned ourselves and I’ll be honest, I don’t know if we will ever recover,
I mean, we will have some success still, but I think the days of SUSTAINED success are over. We are more Manly and Tigers now than Melbourne and Souths.
Yep, go woke go broke.

But the politically correct stuff & focusing on things other than football started with Greenturd. He then made sure his successor was further left than him, like progressives do.

We had a really strong base brought on by the great work by Kevin Ryan & Peter Moore with added professionalism brought to the club by Bob McCarthy. Those are the 3 major reasons we turned around the great drought from 1943-1979. Super League had an affect on the club but we rebounded from that, though the loss of Peter Moore certainly hurt us & set up the Storm for the success they are still having to this day. The loss of Moore was the first kick to the guts. Trying to find an administrator as good has him has been a never ending search since. Had we had someone like him in charge we probably would have had continued success but not quite as much as pre-salary cap days. The next kick was the salary cap debacle followed by Coffs Harbour, both of which tarnished us badly & the NRL were like a flock of vultures waiting for an animal to die.

The cap & Coffs hurt us to fans, sponsors & potential players & our success in the 80s & 90s made us hated by some ex players who would go into the media to bag us constantly & pick up on anything that could even be remotely considered bad. These things caused us to seek out the Greenturds & Castles.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Salary cap was when we first lost the respect of the league.
Then we allowed Mason and his mates to run around with massive egos and poor behaviour for far too long.
Then we got the spoon.
Then we betrayed Bullfrog by sacking his son mid-season.
Whatever we used to have that made us special, we’ve lost.
Bullfrog was a lol.
Kevin Moore was hopeless and one dimensional. Worst coach we ever had, pure nepotism.
There’s a reason he never appeared as a coach again in any form.
He was one dimensional.
This fact is hidden because the team wasn’t taht bad under his tenure. But results don’t always correlate to coaching quality.
I used to give him a lot of credit for his recruitment drive, then I realised a lot of that was recruitment team and the 4 main players, staggs, Eastwood, ennis and Hannant only came in the belief that Wayne Bennett would be the 2009 coach who whispered in his ear ‘I got the hookup’ but then that fell through because the old flop only wants his kids coaching.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
See Hasler moneyball wasn’t actually that dumb, it was cyclical and ensures your stars stay the whole contract length. I see No evidence he was dumb enough to do multiple backloads at once.
Either way it comes back to castle being a slag.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

There were rapes in 2003 ?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1) Losing Barba 2) Signing Foran to a 1.2M contract for 3 years rather than Tedesco for less and 3) back ended deals

Sure Foran was one of our best players, but he was always a severe health risk and that was the case only on the field for no more than 40 games in 3 seasons effectively losing an entire season on the sidelines...at 1.2M.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we refused to upgrade Ben Barber after he got player of the year then started playing shit, then left.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
When we refused to upgrade Ben Barber after he got player of the year then started playing shit, then left.
Brad why should the club award poor off field behaviour? It was well known Barba had issues and when he didn’t get what he wanted he dropped his lip and then agitated for a release. We saw how he ended up too. I think the club handled it well personally.